gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:12:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The TWGMTR compression (and autotune) thread  (Read 3363 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:45:58 AM »

Please post your comments on the mastering of the new songs in this thread. Help keep the rest of the threads clean.

Edit: please include comments on autotune and other audiophile-related issues in this thread.

Grin
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 05:26:17 AM by Dr. Lenny » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:22:40 AM »

What is this?  Steve fucking Hoffman?

Honk! Honk!
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:31:24 AM »

The waveform doesn't look too promising.  Cry

A discipline daddy.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:34:30 AM »

Screw the waveform, it sounds terrible. Period.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »

Sounds fine to me. It's a bit loud, but not brickwalled. You know how happy I am that this is not a big deal to me? I really feel bad for people that are so afflicted by such acute, good hearing. It must be an unbearable burden to carry through life. My condolences to you all.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 11:01:59 AM »

You mean that mp3 I bought off iTunes and the .mp3 podcast are BRICKWALLED! How could they?!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Biggus Dikkus
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 11:57:26 AM »

What is this?  Steve f*cking Hoffman?
You don't have to be an audiophile to appreciate the mastering of a song/album.

TWGMTR is loud, borderline brickwalled. Kind of unfortunate, really.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 04:45:28 PM »

It happened with TSS, it's going to happen with TWGMTR. People will always complain about sound quality, production, etc.  TSS and TWGMTR are two groundbreaking albums in their own right, and two works of art no one could have ever imagined could have come to fruition.  Nonetheless, people will complain. Oh well.

@drbeachboy, I'm a young kid, I've got great hearing, and none of this bothers me, if it makes you feel any better. I'm so excited and thrilled that this is happening, and frankly a lot of it sounds really good to me.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 04:56:05 PM »

The truth offends some folks, it seems. Sad.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »

it sounds fine to me.  Even better when i put my "nice" headphones on
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 05:06:37 PM »

Sounds fine to me. It's a bit loud, but not brickwalled. You know how happy I am that this is not a big deal to me? I really feel bad for people that are so afflicted by such acute, good hearing. It must be an unbearable burden to carry through life. My condolences to you all.

If there weren't people who cared about this sort of shit and spoke up about it, you'd all be offered $1.29 96kbps wma files that were "remastered" by Vladdo Meller. And you'd buy it.

God forbid anyone give two shits about quality in the "GIVE ME THAT, IT'S MINE" age. ;(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:11:08 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 05:22:47 PM »

If there weren't people who cared about this sort of shit and spoke up about it, you'd all be offered $1.29 96kbps wma files that were "remastered" by Vladdo Meller. And you'd buy it.

God forbid anyone give two shits about quality in the "GIVE ME THAT, IT'S MINE" age. ;(

Well there's a line between dissecting a product's quality to death and appreciating it for what it really is.  There seems to be quite a bit of dissecting, and much less appreciating, based on my observations.  Sure, I care about the quality of the final product. Yeah, I realize the production is slick and what not.  That doesn't mean everything sounds bad, and that doesn't mean I don't have to enjoy it. So what's your point?

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »

No one said you couldn't enjoy it. I listen to it, I enjoy it, I appreciate it, but it doesn't mean I'm obligated to act like I just snorted my own body weight in cocaine, giving a "love it or leave it" attitude to anyone who is critical over something (complete with "LOL" at the end). Again, where's the middle ground? If someone says, "The song is fine, but I don't see why it calls for this kind of compression," I don't see how that's the least bit irrational. Sorry, a Beach Boys album doesn't call for this type of compression and limiting. Leave that to Slipknot or something.

My previous post was meant in defense to people saying we must be miserable because we care about quality. If no one cared about quality or spoke up about it, they'd be lazier about quality, physical formats, etc. as to turn a bigger profit and would be shafting the consumer even more so than they already do.

Again, I don't think asking, "I like the song, but this is the Beach Boys - why does this music call for this kind of mastering?" is irrational.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 05:59:08 PM »

No one said you couldn't enjoy it. I listen to it, I enjoy it, I appreciate it, but it doesn't mean I'm obligated to act like I just snorted my own body weight in cocaine, giving a "love it or leave it" attitude to anyone who is critical over something (complete with "LOL" at the end). Again, where's the middle ground? If someone says, "The song is fine, but I don't see why it calls for this kind of compression," I don't see how that's the least bit irrational. Sorry, a Beach Boys album doesn't call for this type of compression and limiting. Leave that to Slipknot or something.

My previous post was meant in defense to people saying we must be miserable because we care about quality. If no one cared about quality or spoke up about it, they'd be lazier about quality, physical formats, etc. as to turn a bigger profit and would be shafting the consumer even more so than they already do.

Again, I don't think asking, "I like the song, but this is the Beach Boys - why does this music call for this kind of mastering?" is irrational.

I agree, I think a middle ground is somewhere where I stand.  I also think (and in no way am I saying you have, because you haven't), that some people here are dissecting the production to the extreme.  Some have decided to project negativity and spew it every which way in regards to nearly everything about this tour.  To me, that is irrational.  Like I said, I agree with you on the middle ground.  TLOS sounds very organic (IMO), compared to what we've seen so far. I mean, compare Brian's opening vocal bit on TWGMTR to his opening bit on MAD or anything else on TLOS.  BIG difference. 

In any event, I'll have to listen to the entire album before I can state a definitive opinion on production/sound quality.

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »

to my ears this does hit the middle ground.  Sounds like people asking for the middle ground, aren't asking for the middle ground at all
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 06:06:30 PM »

Quality must be subjective, because it doesn't sound nearly as bad as you make it. I was completely serious about feeling bad for you people with golden ears. It must be a bitch not being able enjoy the sound of anything made today.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 06:10:35 PM »

yeah, i don't have much to complain about here.  The last Arctic Monkeys album pisses me off because certain sounds are so sharp that it's unpleasant to listen to.  That is just straight 5 guys in a room rock n roll and it has that awful mastering.  I don't hear that with TWGMTR, it's not 1960s warm but nothing is. Sounds good to me. 
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 07:19:17 PM »

TSS and TWGMTR are two groundbreaking albums in their own right, and two works of art no one could have ever imagined could have come to fruition.  Nonetheless, people will complain. Oh well.

TWGMTR is a groundbreaking album?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 07:20:48 PM »

Quality must be subjective, because it doesn't sound nearly as bad as you make it. I was completely serious about feeling bad for you people with golden ears. It must be a bitch not being able enjoy the sound of anything made today.

Completely serious.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 07:29:08 PM »

TSS and TWGMTR are two groundbreaking albums in their own right, and two works of art no one could have ever imagined could have come to fruition.  Nonetheless, people will complain. Oh well.

TWGMTR is a groundbreaking album?

Not in an artistic sense, but in the fact that the Beach Boys, after all of these years, after all of the lawsuits, and at the average age of 70 are creating an album of new material. I'd say that's pretty monumental.  Perhaps groundbreaking wasn't the right word. Monumental fits, however.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 02:58:30 AM »

Luckily, not everything being made today sounds terrible. Shock horror, I know.  Wink

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx