gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 04:41:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Malt Shop Cruise  (Read 6767 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 06:12:42 AM »

/
Mike Love single-handedly turned the Beach Boys' very creative Sunflower/Surf's Up/CT&P/Holland machine into an oldies act overnight with his idea of Endless Summer.

Actually, that long-standing view among supporters of the Wilson faction has recently been tempered by the admission of one James William Guercio that he, and the ENTIRE band, agreed upon a course of action earlier in 1974 that would find them embarking upon a more audience-friendly (read: oldies heavy) touring program when he joined their team.  Whereas in the Jack Rieley era the oldies showed up mainly in the encore, with a couple of them sprinkled into the main set, in early-mid '74 they now comprised a good half of the main set...this was BEFORE "Endless Summer".  So they were already on the road of no return...if "Endless Summer" and "Spirit Of America" hadn't happened, they might have maintained a bit of their contemporary integrity by continuing to play songs from "Holland" for awhile, and maybe the aborted Caribou album might have been finished and released, but they were definitely growing weary of playing newer material that was only received politely, at best.

Thanks for that clarification...Guercio's strategy (and the Band's)  to re-employ a lot of oldies at that time, was clever and very appropriate since that weird, turbulent 70's era...The ticket buying public might not have been buying albums and might only have been familar with the older material.  You  mention "politely" listen at the shows as a first listen.  Exactly!

It is better if the audience has familiariy with the material so they can be more actively engaged and enthusiastic (read sing along) which creates a more "interactive experience" and enthusiam.   When we were in teacher training, we learned that you have to "build upon an existing experiential background" in small steps.  Using  a "few new songs" in a "measured fashion" holds the attention of the audience,  not unlike kids in the classroom, and sort of "seduces them" (no, not "that" way) to listen to the new stuff.  It is a "dance of sorts" for the band to "get their attention, keep their attention, and teach them something new," as our professors taught us.  

Performing all new material does not allow the audience(the students) to show the teachers(the band) what they know and can respond to. It allows the show to be a "two-way interactive experience."  It also brought the audience back to a "safer place" before much of the violence and strife in the US, at least, over the war and other social issues.

When I see The Stones, or some other band, I want to hear "the hits" because I know their catalog less well and feel "less engaged" when they do more obscure stuff that the "more ardent fans," want and which I am not familar with, at the show, and a live show is meant to "engage" the audience.  It is not a one-way delivery.  The bertter the audience "responds" the better the band performs.  

It would not be fair to expect to hear the oldies from The Stones, whose catalog I know less well then that of The Boys, and apply a "double standard" to either.  Unfortunately, sometimes it seems to be the most ardent fans who clamor to hear the more  obscure material.   It may not be  realistic.  Wink
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 07:12:27 AM »

at best, Mike suggested a title for a pre-existing, almost completed reissue project. Wasn't his idea, he had nothing to do with track selection, and he sure as hell had no idea it would take off like Craig Breedlove on speed. No-one did, least of all Capitol.

I think this was the main idea of the original post in this thread, that the Endless Summer album was being credited directly as Mike's concept album in that press release when it obviously was not. So why make that claim in print in the first place?

Remember too that Capitol thought so much of the Beach Boys at that point in time that they couldn't even *find* let alone release the original 45/radio mix of Help Me Rhonda on the comp, a hit song which was roughly 8 years old at the time. That's harsh.

Add in the influence of George Lucas' "American Graffitti" on the Beach Boys revival of sorts well before Endless Summer - their "old" songs are featured in the movie, they're part of the dialogue, and in one of the better end-title music sequences in film "All Summer Long" blasts over the credits and sounds friggin' amazing!

I think the history of writing and releasing statements like that of the Endless Summer "concept" only feeds the fire so to speak among those in one Beach Boys "camp" or the other. I honestly don't know why they can't just leave that stuff alone and let people enjoy the music for what it is.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:18:53 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 07:02:15 PM »

just booked cabins for this cruise. taking angela and my 2 kids on this cruise for a family vacation. looking forward to it, after the last 2 years i need a break. i was on the big red boat cruise in 1995 and had a blast. can't wait.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 07:06:52 PM »

Mike Love single-handedly turned the Beach Boys' very creative Sunflower/Surf's Up/CT&P/Holland machine into an oldies act overnight with his idea of Endless Summer.

Mikie, that's complete nonsense and you know it - at best, Mike suggested a title for a pre-existing, almost completed reissue project. Wasn't his idea, he had nothing to do with track selection, and he sure as hell had no idea it would take off like Craig Breedlove on speed. No-one did, least of all Capitol.
Exactly! Mike would never put Let Him Run Wild on a GH album.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 07:12:35 PM »

just booked cabins for this cruise. taking angela and my 2 kids on this cruise for a family vacation. looking forward to it, after the last 2 years i need a break. i was on the big red boat cruise in 1995 and had a blast. can't wait.

Looks like you should have a great time!  I Jay Black and Lou Christie will be good for sure, along with the BBs; I imagine some of the others will sound good too. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx