gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:49:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: George & John at a Beach Boys Concert  (Read 4385 times)
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:01:36 AM »

Not a very revealing picture, but just found this on the 'net. Apparently at the UNICEF concert from December 1967...

http://beatlephotoblog.com/george-and-john-at-the-beach-boys-concert#comments

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Jason
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:09:27 AM »

This will cause a flamewar and a few bans on the Hoffman board.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »

Not a very revealing picture, but just found this on the 'net. Apparently at the UNICEF concert from December 1967...

http://beatlephotoblog.com/george-and-john-at-the-beach-boys-concert#comments
Cool, didn't know they were there.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 11:48:13 AM »

Can't see why - those pix have been around for decades.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 03:26:30 PM »

I knew they went but did not know they saw The Beach Boys show.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 03:40:12 PM »

Didn't they intrduce Dennis to Maharishi at that occasion ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 03:59:04 PM »

Even here, on this board, there is no escaping the stench, and hypocritical
hyperbole of the bloated fly drawing hulk known as the Hoffman Board.

I think McCartney and Harrison both made a number of public comments
praising the genius of Pet Sounds, even going so far as to say it was
the best album ever. If there is any surprise it would be Lennon having
a greater endorsement of the album.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »

Even here, on this board, there is no escaping the stench, and hypocritical
hyperbole of the bloated fly drawing hulk known as the Hoffman Board.

I think McCartney and Harrison both made a number of public comments
praising the genius of Pet Sounds, even going so far as to say it was
the best album ever. If there is any surprise it would be Lennon having
a greater endorsement of the album.

Apparently Lennon did, Tony Rivers has mentioned it at a couple of the BB Stomp Conventions I've been to and mentions Lennon's praise of the Beach Boys on his site...

http://www.craftweb.org/web/tony/cast4.html

Also didn't realise they'd been around for decades, came across this one too with the Maharishi...

http://www.granger.com/searchresults.asp?inline=true&image=0111329&wwwflag=1&imagepos=22

http://www.beatle-girls.com/2009/11/1967-beach-boys-concert.html

According to this website, this picture of the BB's with the Maharishi was taken after the gig? But Brian didn't play the concert and Bruce isn't there? Did Brian go to France but NOT play the gig...

http://chainedandperfumed.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/cute-band-alert-26/

But Bruce is in this one, is this on the ill-fated tour or is this after the UNICEF concert rather than the one with Brian above?

http://www.pondichery.com/french/maharishi/Beach-Boys_and_maharishi.jpg

(EDIT) The UNICEF footage shows Bruce has the infamous 'tache, so unless he shaved it off the day after the gig the picture above must've been taken on the Maharishi tour...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 05:16:22 PM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »

Interesting to note that among many of the 60's icon Lennon put down or lost respect for (namely Dylan and the Rolling Stones) I can't recall him ever slagging the BB off.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 05:45:47 PM »

70's: John Lennon and Brian Wilson hung out and apparently had some LSD trips together with the likes of Harry Nilsson, Micky Dolenz, and other Hollywood rockers in the early 70's. Dolenz told the story of his last trip which found John Lennon staring into a swimming pool for hours and Brian Wilson playing the same note on the piano over and over again. He's suggested they all hung out and fooled around with music in his home studio at various parties too. Wonder if Micky has any secret tapes they made together...

60's: Prior to those photos the Beatles met up with the Beach Boys in Portland, summer 1965. They met Mike and Carl, and according to Larry Kane: "Ringo, the ultimate Beach Boys fan among the Beatles, was dazzled by Wilson and Love. 'A thrill to meet them' he told me later" Another source said that on that same tour, John and George were overheard discussing Brian Wilson on the infamous flight where the plane's engine caught fire and made an emergency landing.

They play some Beach Boys during the "Get Back" sessions, don't they? And Geoff Emerick, one of several who said this, remembers having a turntable brought into Abbey Road and Pet Sounds was played constantly in late 1966 into 1967. You hear it all over Penny Lane for one.

It's not surprising they'd not only be fans but also want to take in a BB's show when they were able. I think the Beatles were duly impressed and also a bit in awe of how Brian particularly was able to create such an ideal image of his home California through his music. They were definitely fans, Ringo the biggest fan apparently!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »

Brian was not on the Dec 67 trip to Europe.  They only played one concert on that trip-the UNICEF show.  However-the BBs were so jazzed by the Maharishi and wanted Brian to get into TM as well-so when the Maharishi visited the U.S. to lecture at some colleges (January 19-23 1968) the BBs went east to see him and meet with him again and convinced Brian to go with them.  He recieved his mantra from Maharishi at a private meeting in NY-photographed by Linda Eastman (soon to become Mrs. McCartney).  As we all know-the Wilson's drifted away from TM-but Mike and Al remained devoted. 
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 06:41:16 PM »

By the way-I should mention that while they were in London in Dec 67-Mike and Bruce attended the premiere party for Magical Mystery Tour and hung out with all four fabs there. It was written up in NME.  And of course-Mike spent a month with the Beatles in India in Feb-Mar 68.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 07:52:40 AM »

There was always lots of love in The Beach Boys for The Beatles. Carl adored The Beatles and had photos posted in his bedroom in the Hawthorne house. I think Brian loves Paul`s abilities as a composer. Paul has obviously had an affection for Brian`s work through the years. He was said that he thought Brian`s band circa the Smile 2004 debut was one of the best he`s ever heard. So it is nice to see that John and George liked some of Brian`s music too. Brian has sung on a couple of Ringo`s albums, and he has drummed on Brian`s work...lots of mutual cross pollination. Then there`s Happy Birthday Michael Love from several Beatle boots. Girl Don`t Tell me is a Brian tribute to John Lennon. Back in the USSR is a Paul tribute to The Beach Boys...I never understood in the 60s why you couldn`t like The Beatles AND  The Beach Boys AND The Four Seasons.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 07:58:23 AM »

I never understood in the 60s why you couldn`t like The Beatles AND  The Beach Boys AND The Four Seasons.

Probably because it wasn't (and still isn't actually) about the music but about hipness, etc. That way a lot of great music gets unheard.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 08:59:14 AM »

I never understood in the 60s why you couldn`t like The Beatles AND  The Beach Boys AND The Four Seasons.

Probably because it wasn't (and still isn't actually) about the music but about hipness, etc. That way a lot of great music gets unheard.
Well, in the sixties I grew up in...in California, practically everybody had both Beatles and Beach Boys records in their homes. Another thing that's misleading is calling the sixties the "60's" as if it all was the same. The difference between 1964 and 1968 was about as wide as the difference between 1985 and now.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 10:13:32 AM »

I'd also add the Beach Boys paid a great tribute to the Beatles and showed their respect and admiration by recording several of their songs on the Party! album, in fact those covers might weigh a bit more in historical context because the songs they covered were fairly current when Party! was recorded. That to me is one of the better tributes a group or artist could give to what some might call "the competition" for airplay and sales.

I can't think of any animosity or hard feelings expressed publicly between the bands until Mike's Hall Of Fame rant in the 80's.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 10:55:37 AM »

70's: John Lennon and Brian Wilson hung out and apparently had some LSD trips together with the likes of Harry Nilsson, Micky Dolenz, and other Hollywood rockers in the early 70's. Dolenz told the story of his last trip which found John Lennon staring into a swimming pool for hours and Brian Wilson playing the same note on the piano over and over again. He's suggested they all hung out and fooled around with music in his home studio at various parties too. Wonder if Micky has any secret tapes they made together...

What are the chances this has any basis in reality?  At least as far as Brian taking LSD trips with these guys in the 1970's...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 11:20:21 AM »

What are the chances this has any basis in reality?  At least as far as Brian taking LSD trips with these guys in the 1970's...

You'll have to ask Micky Dolenz, he said that incident was the last LSD trip he experienced. Maybe Brian wasn't on LSD but Micky thought he was, or Brian was just goofing on them? I don't know. It's odd that Micky describes Brian hitting one note at the piano and Brian in one account of a trip described sitting at a piano and all the piano keys seemed to meld into one.

Another way to frame the question: Do you believe Brian's accounts of the relatively small number of times he claims to have taken LSD in his life? Or that he never took it after, say, 1966? The Hawaii concerts alone prove he was understating it a bit...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 11:44:23 AM »

You'll have to ask Micky Dolenz, he said that incident was the last LSD trip he experienced. Maybe Brian wasn't on LSD but Micky thought he was, or Brian was just goofing on them? I don't know. It's odd that Micky describes Brian hitting one note at the piano and Brian in one account of a trip described sitting at a piano and all the piano keys seemed to meld into one.

Another way to frame the question: Do you believe Brian's accounts of the relatively small number of times he claims to have taken LSD in his life? Or that he never took it after, say, 1966? The Hawaii concerts alone prove he was understating it a bit...

That's interesting - so it's entirely possibly that part of Brian's description of his 2nd trip in the mid sixties is in reality someone else's description of Brian at a party (maybe tripping, maybe not) five years later.  Gotta love Todd Gold - he's consistent.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx