gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:30:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Catch a Wave : The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson
5 - 41 (65.1%)
4 - 14 (22.2%)
3 - 7 (11.1%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 56

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Catch a Wave : The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson  (Read 98966 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2006, 06:05:08 AM »

Run: Mike had a lot to say about Brian's 'Smile,' but we didn't talk specifically about the tour. He was more interested in the album itself, and certain legal rights and privileges that might or might not have been violated.

I'm excited... Wink Can't wait to read your book....!!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2006, 12:40:27 PM »

Very much looking forward to this book!

Glenn
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2006, 03:01:25 AM »

What did Mike say about the SMiLE-music? Not the legal issues or the history, but the music itself?

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2006, 12:15:29 PM »

Get the book!
Be surprised!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2006, 12:54:37 PM »

Yes, I agree with Ian, buy the book. And not just for yourself, but also for friends, relatives, strangers, etc.

But regarding Mike's views on "Smile," they seemed to be evolving. For instance he wanted to make clear that just because he didn't understand VDP's lyrics didn't mean he didn't like them, or that they shouldn't be used. It was an interesting interpretation, and one that made VDP gape in wonder when I repeated it to him. But you know how these things go.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2006, 01:33:53 PM »

But regarding Mike's views on "Smile," they seemed to be evolving. For instance he wanted to make clear that just because he didn't understand VDP's lyrics didn't mean he didn't like them, or that they shouldn't be used. It was an interesting interpretation, and one that made VDP gape in wonder when I repeated it to him. But you know how these things go.

Well, that'll make Cam Mott very happy!!  Grin

Can't wait for the book!

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2006, 02:16:48 PM »

Sounds great, i'll be buying.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2006, 03:16:56 AM »

Cool Don´t worry, I will definately buy it.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2006, 04:38:11 AM »

Well, that'll make Cam Mott very happy!!  Grin

Can't wait for the book!

I'm sure a wider view and better understanding will make us all happy. I'm looking forward to it too.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2006, 07:17:18 AM »

buy the book

That phrase sounds familiar...all our resident authors use it. Smiley

Seriously, this sounds like the most interesting and illuminating Beach Boys related book ever.

Peter, apologies if this has been asked before, but how did you get into the Beach Boys universe? Were just a long-time fan, or were you already involved with earlier projects?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 07:19:05 AM by Andreas » Logged
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2006, 08:13:21 AM »

Andreas: Mostly a longtime fan. I came in with the "Endless Summer" crew in '74, got deeply into the BW myth/legend in '76 and stuck around ever since. Books, bootlegs, lots of shows, the whole thing. I met Dennis on the street in Seattle in '76, and the other guys (sans Brian) at a show I was reviewing in '87. Then I was writing a profile of Brian for People in '98 and got to hang out with him for a day or two, and that really started my serious writing about him. You can check out americanheritage.com (search for brian wilson) to see a recent example.

In the last decade or so I started thinking about Brian and the BB's in terms of American cultural history, both regarding their work (which I think echoes/extends the more dreamy, utopian aspects of the American character) and their lives (which reiterates the less pleasant facets). The tension between these two themes is what makes the music so indelible, I think. And what makes them, and particularly Brian, such fascinating and powerful characters.

Naturally, the story of "Smile" became the real pivot point to the whole story. It's all there, from the transcendence offered in the music to the fascination/anger it always seems to evoke.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2006, 08:53:16 AM »

It sounds like you have a great perspective on things. Definitely looking forward to the book!

Watch out for snakes!
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2006, 09:45:31 AM »

Hi Peter.  Any thoughts on Andy Paley, and how he fits into - and was subsequently ejected from - Brian's world?  My observation is that he was really good for Brian, both musically and personally, and his loss is nobody's gain.  It's a piece of the puzzle that, well, puzzles me!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2006, 01:09:48 PM »

I really look forward to this book as well.  I was wondering, what you thought of Van Dyke and which Beach Boy was the coolest?  Did you talk to Bruce?  He seems to take one side one day and one the other. 

Also, does it go to the present day?
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2006, 01:22:11 PM »

Susan: Andy is a cool guy and he and Brian did a lot of good work together. I'm particularly fond of the '90s stuff, and never really understood why it didn't come out. Why they went their separate ways kind of depends on whom you ask. It's like so many BW relationships, from VDP to David Sandler to Joe Thomas and beyond. Eventually they run out of steam and that's it. Brian's pretty good at not coming off like the heavy in these situations. But it sure does happen a lot in his life, doesn' it?

Forces: I love VDP, he's a terrific guy. Bruce I met briefly in '87, interviewed on the phone in '98 and then talked on the phone with/emailed a bunch enroute to his deciding not to do an invu this summer. I'm not sure what to think of him at this point, so I'll deflect that. Which of the BB's is the coolest? Hmm. Living or dead? Does David Marks count? or Blondie and Ricky? Or whoever is in the group right now?

Narrative-wise, the book goes up to the Fall of '05.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2006, 03:09:20 PM »

buy the book

That phrase sounds familiar...all our resident authors use it. Smiley

[koff]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2006, 04:07:48 PM »

Peter,

I noticed on the Smile Shop where you said a lot of your conclusions are "interpretive" . . . which is always a necessary thing, to a degree, in writing history or biography.

But it'll be interesting to see how the masses jump on you when the book comes out. Writing books based on people's memories is a dicey game.

I suspect you'll get hammered from both sides . . . Brian vs. Not . . . but it all comes with the territory (as you well know).

I'm really looking forward to reading this one. Great to have new Beach Boys scholarship in the pipeline.

M.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2006, 05:55:58 PM »

I really am very much looking forward to reading the book.

Peter, did Hal and Carol (were those the only two Crew you interviewed?) contribute anything new, beyond the usual accolades along the lines of what we read in the PS box set notes?  I'd love to have a conversation with Hal, man I can't even tell you.  Oh, hey, your publisher isn't interested in any additional scholarly beach-boys related books, is it? 
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2006, 06:43:34 PM »

Hi Mark: Sure, I expect people from every given side to find stuff that they disagree with. The Brian world positively bristles with partisans with strong opinions, yes? Including the observers. (see also: the armed militias patrolling the which 'smile' songs were supposed to be in what order debate) Naturally I want everyone to love, like or at least respect my version of events. But is that realistic? I dunno. I hope so.

AEijtzsche: I don't know if I got any serious revelations from Hal and Carol. A few interesting tidbits, for sure. And when it comes to selling beach boys books....you're on your own. Took me years (literally) to get mine going.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2006, 07:33:53 PM »

I'm sure I won't have any problems getting a huge buzz going for "Santa Ana Winds:  The Danelectro Bass Technique of Al Jardine  The untold heartbreak, trouble, and ultimate triumph of the under-rated Beach Boy:  An info-novel"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2006, 07:36:03 PM »

I still like the Monster In A USA Hat name.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2006, 07:37:44 PM »

Waiting for a Bus -- the Life of Al Jardine.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2006, 07:43:04 PM »

Man, I tell ya, in all seriousness, I would love to write Al's biography.  He's my favourite Beach Boys and I have a feeling he's got a compelling story to tell.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2006, 07:44:51 PM »

He would just get sued if he tried to tell it to anyone.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2006, 07:46:21 PM »

Man, I tell ya, in all seriousness, I would love to write Al's biography.  He's my favourite Beach Boys and I have a feeling he's got a compelling story to tell.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx