gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:09:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Catch a Wave : The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson
5 - 41 (65.1%)
4 - 14 (22.2%)
3 - 7 (11.1%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 56

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Catch a Wave : The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson  (Read 99549 times)
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2006, 07:54:36 PM »

If anyone wonders who is the person who actually rated the book a "5" it was me. It is a major contribution to the understanding of Brian and the Beach Boys from a 21st century perspective. There is a tendency to isolate Brian from the Beach Boys, and this to me is like taking California out of the USA. The Beach Boys are first and foremost a family.In fact they are a family business. Brian on his own is a major composer of songs and albums.

I think Peter has been able to understand the complexity of the family situation like few people have. Certainly, his timing is impeccable. There is a Brian renaissance and his reputation has been redeemed.

The version of the book I was fortunate to read is likely subject to some rewrites. As it read, it was the best longer treatment on Brian and the Boys I have read.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2006, 07:57:56 PM »

Thanks Peter.
This book will sell a lot of copies on release.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2006, 07:59:01 PM »

I know she didn't want to talk to Peter Ames Carlin, but the one "participant" in the BW/Beach Boys story whose book I would like read - would be Marilyn Wilson.

It's probably in her (and the Beach Boys) best interests that she doesn't write her memoirs.  But, oh, what stories she could tell...
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2006, 10:03:28 PM »

Man, I tell ya, in all seriousness, I would love to write Al's biography.  He's my favourite Beach Boys and I have a feeling he's got a compelling story to tell.

I bet. And why hasn't Mike Love ever stepped up? (wrote a book)

I mean, these days, all you gotta do is talk while you eat steaks. Everyone else does the typing and listening.

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2006, 11:50:00 PM »

Hi Mark: Sure, I expect people from every given side to find stuff that they disagree with. The Brian world positively bristles with partisans with strong opinions, yes? Including the observers. (see also: the armed militias patrolling the which 'smile' songs were supposed to be in what order debate) Naturally I want everyone to love, like or at least respect my version of events. But is that realistic? I dunno. I hope so.

The problem with Brian and the BB is that of the six blind men trying to describe an elephant. I've noticed that no matter what you say, or relate, or how authoritative your sources, someone will pop out of the woodwork and deny your story - hell, I've even been told "Brian doesn't remember that much, don't rely on what he says" (and it wasn't who you might think...). Everyone, but everyone, has their own story. The Heritage article was impressive. I'm awaiting this book eagerly. It has Brian's active particpation, which I don't think too many other books have had, at least not recently.

I'm also impressed with your realistic attitude regarding how people will take it. My dear ol' dad had a favorite saying - "can't tell someone something they don't want to hear". Hope you've cultivated a thick skin, or invested in body armor.  Grin Rest assured, the book will get a fair  reception amongst the likes of us. As for other boards... (glances meaningfully to the west... and shrugs).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 02:49:06 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2006, 07:19:26 AM »

No doubt I will buy this book.   
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2006, 08:47:24 PM »

I can't wait for Peter's book to drop. Having hepled out some behind the scenes (Peter would sometimes ask Bob Hanes a question which in turn would come to me cuz Hanes knows how anal I am about information) I have been looking forward to this addition to our BB/BW knowledge base.

Peter has been nice enough to exchange e-mails with me towards the end of last year and I'd like to thank hime for putting up with my questions which he answered gracefully.

Thinking about the SMILE period, I have been discussing with Mr. Hanes my thoughts about the people surrounding Brian during this process. It seems to me that those around Brian at the time (Parks, Anderle, Vosse, etc) were embarrased about the "Little Deuce Coupe - Fun Fun Fun - All Summer Long" Brian Wilson. They were helping Brian expand his horizions but, it also seems that there was alot of "Hey Brian, you don't want to be THAT guy! Do other things, but not that "internal combustion sound (as Van called it)." You could tell that really didn't care for BW previous output before PS.

And Andrew Doe's comment about 6 blind men is never better illustrated than a scene from Beatiful Dreamer. Brian describes his utter terror during his first LSD trip and his freaking out. Yet Lauren Daro laughs about the story with a sly "This is wonderful." He tells how Brian freaked and HE WAS LAUGHING about it. Some freakin' friend. I think that  counter to what Mike Vosse said, there does seem to be alot of "FUN" at Brian's expense. I alsothink that BW was getting farther out in order to gain exceptance from this group. Being cool was and still is and objective that people want to obtain. Too bad it's a pathetic pursuit.

Anyway, can't wait for the book Peter. If it's as good as the spread in AH magazine, it's gonna be killer!

Bob Flory
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2006, 05:38:15 AM »

I was afraid this would happen...how much will the book sell for ? At $6.00 an hour, I DO have to ask...But it does appear that the ultimate BW bio has been written and will be released just in time for my birthday...thanx Peter

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
pavlos brenos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2006, 12:50:37 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594863202/qid=1141520417/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-0736183-0348013?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Just a thought: has anybody thought of inviting Brad Elliott or Stephen McParland to the board seeing that AGD seems to have taken his leave?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2006, 07:56:28 PM »

Moved this here.

As for the second thing...I don't know about McParland, but Brad...is next to impossible to get a hold of it seems. At least it was a few years ago. Don't know the whole story myself, just something to do with people who ordered books from him.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2006, 11:40:22 AM »

I can't wait for Peter's book to drop. Having hepled out some behind the scenes (Peter would sometimes ask Bob Hanes a question which in turn would come to me cuz Hanes knows how anal I am about information) I have been looking forward to this addition to our BB/BW knowledge base.

Peter has been nice enough to exchange e-mails with me towards the end of last year and I'd like to thank hime for putting up with my questions which he answered gracefully.

Thinking about the SMILE period, I have been discussing with Mr. Hanes my thoughts about the people surrounding Brian during this process. It seems to me that those around Brian at the time (Parks, Anderle, Vosse, etc) were embarrased about the "Little Deuce Coupe - Fun Fun Fun - All Summer Long" Brian Wilson. They were helping Brian expand his horizions but, it also seems that there was alot of "Hey Brian, you don't want to be THAT guy! Do other things, but not that "internal combustion sound (as Van called it)." You could tell that really didn't care for BW previous output before PS.

And Andrew Doe's comment about 6 blind men is never better illustrated than a scene from Beatiful Dreamer. Brian describes his utter terror during his first LSD trip and his freaking out. Yet Lauren Daro laughs about the story with a sly "This is wonderful." He tells how Brian freaked and HE WAS LAUGHING about it. Some freakin' friend. I think that  counter to what Mike Vosse said, there does seem to be alot of "FUN" at Brian's expense. I alsothink that BW was getting farther out in order to gain exceptance from this group. Being cool was and still is and objective that people want to obtain. Too bad it's a pathetic pursuit.

Anyway, can't wait for the book Peter. If it's as good as the spread in AH magazine, it's gonna be killer!

Bob Flory

You're right on the money, there. Stoners always think that what's good for them is good for everybody and they are too "out there" to take into account the seriousness of playing with the mind, or, as Murray said, "playing with God".

None of those guys in the doc seemed to understand the danger of what Brian was doing to himself. Brian didn't either.

As someone who experimented in High School and who has suffered immensely from it in years since, I will exclaim, quite sincerely...

JUST SAY NO!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2006, 10:59:30 AM »

Agreed - and a lot of them left him when the going got rough (though you wouldn't think that to see them in the documentary).
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2006, 01:46:50 PM »

Amazon.com is now showing September 19, 2006 as the release date for this book.  What's up with that?  I was expecting it next week.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2006, 10:17:23 AM »

Regarding the pub date: I'm only just hearing about that this morning (Apr 27) via unofficial channels (e.g. this bulletin board) so I'm trying to check. More on this when I know more.

Regarding the drug issue: I think you guys are oversimplifying things a bit. And maybe being a lot harder on Brian's mid-60s pals than I would be. For one thing, the Brian of '64/'65/'66 was a master of the universe: a powerful, highly successful young guy whose occasional breakdowns weren't all that different from the ones displayed by other creative/temperamental types in Hollywood. Lots of guys were experimenting with drugs in the mid-60s, for good or ill, and the vast majority of them emerged unscathed. And Brian's drug use in that era wasn't all that extreme, anyway. A lot of pot smoking, perhaps, but not  nearly as much acid as people seem to think. Probably the most damaging thing he did was take fistfuls of speed. . .which were and remain legal, although not in the way he was doing them. Later he snorted up mountains of coke and did heroin here and there, but that was more an attempt to self-medicate for his untreated psychiatric problems.

Ultimately I think you guys, like most everyone in the BB family, want to blame drugs for the organic psychiatric problems he already had. Brian's drug habits were symptomatic of his problems, not the cause of them.
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2006, 11:24:26 AM »

Word from Rodale as of today is that Amazon's September pub date isn't correct...we're still shooting for late spring. Still a couple of hurdles to clear between here and there, but that's still the plan.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2006, 11:52:06 AM »

Thanks Peter!

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2006, 11:55:05 AM »

Ultimately I think you guys, like most everyone in the BB family, want to blame drugs for the organic psychiatric problems he already had. Brian's drug habits were symptomatic of his problems, not the cause of them. 

Exactly.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2006, 06:16:14 PM »

Stephen McParland, IIRC, has taken somewhat of a backseat to the whole BB domain. It is highly unlikely that he will make any appearance here, or anywhere. I can always ask him, but I'd say don't hold your breath. Similarly, I have been a hard core fan since 1981, and I am struggling to get motivated or to get enthused about the band. Possibly because another literary project I am in the middle of is taking up nearly all of my free time. Additionally, the people to whom I am speaking are very approachable and forthcoming about _any_ question I ask them, and that juxtaposed to the usual BB "I cant say X, Y or Z because of reason A, B, or C" response has seen my interest in the BB world take a sharp dive.  Sorry to ramble, but I had to let that out.

Mind you, the vocals by the BBs get me everytime, no matter how disillusioned I may be with my fandom. And BWPS is still my favourite CD of all time.
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2006, 02:50:37 PM »

Hey, I'm listening to "Wonderful/Don't Worry Bill" as I write this. It's been hard for me to get back into the BB's, after spending so much of the last couple of years listening to them non-stop, with serious analysis in mind. But "Heroes and Villains" came up on the cd changer the other day and my 4-year-old's eyes lit up, and then so did mine. So I cycled through "Smiley Smile"/"Wild Honey" this morning, then through the second disc of "Hawthorne," and now some choice selections from "Endless Harmony," and all that matters is how great it sounds.  Again.

"Catch A Wave" should ship from Amazon, and be available in US stores, starting on or about June 16. I'm less sure of European/Australian dates, but stay tuned.

You can also go to livewireradio.org, and its podcast page, in order to check out a cool radio show that features me reading a Brian piece and then being interviewed. Some cool musical snippets too, thanks to Ralph Huntley and band. And fans of Pavement and the Jicks take note: Stephen Malkmus is also on the show, and performs a couple great tunes. That's the show broadcast at 8 pm on May 27.

More soon...

And if you're interested, you can learn about all this stuff, and more, on my website: peteramescarlin.com.

Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2006, 04:23:49 PM »

And if you're interested, you can learn about all this stuff, and more, on my website: peteramescarlin.com.

A web site I highly recommend.  It not only is good, it LOOKS good.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2006, 08:12:31 AM »

Read "Catch A Wave" along with me:

http://www.smileysmile.net/uncanny/index.php/2006/06/09/wave_catching_with_carlin
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2006, 10:33:57 AM »

An advance copy?  I'm jealous!  Smiley

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2006, 11:47:44 AM »

I am jealous too.

I hope the "June 16 or thereabouts" release date is correct. I just placed my order through Amazon yesterday ...
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2006, 09:09:20 AM »

I got an email from Amazon this morning.  Expected delivery date is now July 14-17.  That's better than September!

Jim

Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2006, 01:52:33 PM »

I got an email from Amazon this morning.  Expected delivery date is now July 14-17.  That's better than September!

I got the email too. July will do nicely!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx