gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:18:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Catch a Wave : The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson
5 - 41 (65.1%)
4 - 14 (22.2%)
3 - 7 (11.1%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 56

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Catch a Wave : The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson  (Read 98948 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2006, 01:00:23 PM »

The XMAS album came out after I was done writing. And again, it's a pleasant piece of work that neither adds to nor distracts from BW's real legacy. In my view.

No way!  That album is outstanding.  And the title song is a f------ GEM that needs recognition as one of Brian's absolute best.

I love it, too. And I also think that it's great but Peter said in his view it doesn't distract or adds to Brian's legacy, and I think he's right with that point. Brian's legacy was built in the 60s imo and no one will remember him in 20 years because he wrote "Christmassey".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2006, 07:22:09 AM »

not "Christmasey," the song "What I really Want for Christmas" is excellent..

i bet you when Brian dies, this one will start getting serious airplay in december.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2006, 09:26:54 AM »

What ever.... Cool

I don't think this will get airplay in december when he dies. They'll play the Beach Boys' Christmas album...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2006, 06:51:49 AM »

What ever.... Cool

I don't think this will get airplay in december when he dies. They'll play the Beach Boys' Christmas album...

Never said they won't play the Beach Boys..  but this song is a classic and it's
unfortunate your heart is too hardened to love it too.  You lose.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2006, 06:56:22 AM »

i bet you when Brian dies, this one will start getting serious airplay in december.

I hope you're talking about some far off December and not the one coming (because that's how it reads!)

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2006, 10:10:07 AM »

WIRWFC should get airplay this year with all the fighting going on around the planet.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2006, 03:24:22 AM »

I got the book yesterday, and read through it in one sitting. It was the first BB-biography I've read, so of course I can´t compare it to others. But I also can´t imagine how it could have been done better in any way.

It´s entertaining, balanced, funny and at times deeply moving. Thanks, Peter!

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2006, 03:54:49 PM »

Finally bought it today, and am about a third through it. I'll post my thoughts once I'm done. PRetty excited to have it, though.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2006, 07:34:12 PM »

Hey, I'm glad you guys are checking it out, and seem to like it. Thanks a lot. . . it's great to hear.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2006, 04:52:59 AM »

What ever.... Cool

Never said they won't play the Beach Boys..  but this song is a classic and it's
unfortunate your heart is too hardened to love it too.  You lose.

What's your problem? I never said I don't love this song ! It's just not likely that they will play Brian's christmas-album. When Dennis died they didn't play POB the whole time(only one or two songs I believe), but Beach Boys-songs, same for Carl. No "heaven" or something. Same will happen with Brian. Except for us fans no one is interested in his solo-stuff and hasn't probably even heard that CD.

Anyway, back on topic. I got the book now and after shutting this computer down, I am going to read it. Can't wait.

- Jack Rieley
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2006, 05:40:16 PM »

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060820/1000479.asp

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2006, 07:06:58 PM »

Peter,

I just finished reading your book and I was very impressed.  I thought you struck a proper balance and I believe this is one of the better books about the Beach Boys that I've read.

Good job and the best of luck.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2006, 06:53:46 AM »

Awesome book with lots of new information and viewpoints. The definitive Brian-biographie? No, the definitive will be written after Brian has died, but this is the best book on him to date

- Jack Rieley
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2006, 10:08:23 PM »

I just finished this book and I LOVED it. Finally, a really well done Brian/BBs bio in print (Leaf's book is out of print still, Gaines' book is trashy, White's book is a labyrinth, and Brian's "autobiography" is...not). This is the way to go.

Incredible job, Peter. Heck, I'm thinking of re-reading it already...

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2006, 03:22:52 PM »

Getting this on friday, can't wait.

Big and thick. and a great cover , i was so amazed when i saw a load of copies sitting on a shelf in the music section in easons  Grin

I never get cool music books here in ireland, apart from the beatles and zeppelin.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 03:39:19 PM by Keeny wok a poo lah » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
briancarldennisal
Smiley Smile Associate

light the lamp and fire mellow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2006, 09:17:44 PM »

great great read. by far the best book on brian i have ever read. many new stories and quotes that peter must have really had to research to get. great work.
cheers

light the lamp and fire mellow cabin essence timely hello
thomasogg
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2007, 02:00:06 PM »

Yeh, I thought the book was great! A really intelligent, well-written, balanced read. But to be honest, i just came on here to say that No, Brian's solo xmas album was a sack of cack! A bit late to resume the argument but hey ho...
sherryluvsbrian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2007, 10:33:35 PM »

I found It to be a bit boring between the good stuff. I would give 3

If you want to know me, listen to my music.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2010, 07:14:45 PM »

5 stars.

It was my first delve into the Beach Boys world. For a newbie like me the insight into Brian's young life and his starting the band was amazing. I really felt like a fly-on-the-wall in the Wilson's home during their startup. Then I felt like a fly-on-the-wall during Pet Sounds, SMiLE, yadayadayada...

At this point I had only owned 'Summer Love Songs' 'Pet Sounds' and 'The Beach Boys Greatest Hits' - so as I was reading about SMiLE/Holland/Friends/Love You I had no idea what the music sounded like....just went off of Carlin's word (stupidly I didn't even think to buy some of the albums during my read Huh ).

Anyways, since reading the book (about a year ago), I have bought most of their Studio albums, compilations, Brian Wilson solo albums, and many more books. Many times when I put a BBs album on I will get Carlin's book and read about that album's history. It is a great reference book and a great redemption story. Very well written as well.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2012, 03:33:58 PM »

What a fantastic book! Just finished reading this, and I was amazed at just how many highs and lows Brian and the band have been through throughout their 50 year existence. It was interesting to read all the blurbs from Brian's high school friends, especially the anecdotes from Carol Mountain. The testimony from Rich Sloan at the beginning of the book was interesting to view in light of his recollection later in the book about the time he made a trip backstage to visit the Wilson brothers at a Beach Boys concert in the 70s. He spoke about how shocked he was to see them in their current state compared to when he knew them growing up.

I had mixed emotions towards the end of the book. On one hand, it's great that Brian has a new life, a new career, and seemingly has recovered from a lot of the demons that haunted him post-Smile. But on the other hand, the disarray the surviving Beach Boys were in around 2005 makes me further appreciate just how amazing it was for them to reunite this year, do a successful tour, and put out an amazing album. Such a thing seemed pretty unlikely back then, but it makes me all the more thankful that it happened and that I got to experience it.
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »

Thank you Peter for a thorough and truly enjoyable book! It goes without saying that I too found it engrossing, impossible to put down at times!

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2014, 06:08:05 AM »

The 1st BBs-related book I ever read - back in the summer of '07, if I remember correctly. Serenade
In the immediate aftermath of finishing the book I drowned myself in every written word on BW/BBs I could get my grubby hands on. 90% of my BBs library still stem from those couple of months.

Thanks, Mr Carlin!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2014, 06:19:47 AM »

The 1st BBs-related book I ever read - back in the summer of '07, if I remember correctly. Serenade
In the immediate aftermath of finishing the book I drowned myself in every written word on BW/BBs I could get my grubby hands on. 90% of my BBs library still stem from those couple of months.

Thanks, Mr Carlin!

Same! His descriptions of the albums got me to buy most of the albums. I'd sit there listening to the music while re-reading his book...good times.

Without Carlin's book my Beach Boy collection would be very different.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2014, 10:26:11 PM »

It's a shame that the Peter Carlin's book ends before That Lucky Old Sun came about.  I would love to read an insider's account of how that album came to be.  I have enjoyed the book.  Mike Love doesn't come off too well, nor does Dennis Wilson.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2014, 09:59:27 PM »

Hi all,

I read Catch A Wave last September.  I did enjoy the book.  I like the fact that Carnie helped out with this book.  It is wonderul that Smile was finally released.  Brian did have a hard life.  I am glad that he kicked the drug habit many years ago.  I learned a lot about the BB in this book.  Things did turn out very well for Brian.   Mike had a breakdown also.  How Dennis died was scarey.  This books treats them all the same.  Peter Ames Carlin did a very good job.  Landy sounded scarey.  The right people won i that 1991 trial.  Catch A Wave is a must read for BW/BB fans. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx