gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 06:50:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to entirely embarrass a friend :-D  (Read 20781 times)
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2011, 12:45:23 PM »

Wait didn't Frank Holmes do artwork for the proposed SMiLE box set in the 1990's? I recall that there was new illustrations but did he ever hand them over to Capitol? If he did perhaps they intend to use them for 'The SMiLE Session' box.

I guess if he was paid for the latter then that might be a possibility.

I guess I've got a way with girls
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2011, 01:17:15 PM »

I know of one new illustration. A few years ago there was a SMiLE special in a magazine called 'Fishwrap' (don't know if it's still around). In it, there was a new drawing for 'Wonderful'.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2011, 01:22:53 PM »

Wait didn't Frank Holmes do artwork for the proposed SMiLE box set in the 1990's? I recall that there was new illustrations but did he ever hand them over to Capitol? If he did perhaps they intend to use them for 'The SMiLE Session' box.

You bring up a good point.  FH did do new illustrations for several songs in the mid-'90s.  Off the top of my head, I remember seeing drawings for Good Vibrations, Fire, Wonderful and CIFOTM.  IIRC, the intention was indeed to supplement the 1966 illustrations with the new drawings for inclusion with Capitol's proposed Smile release at the time.

It's interesting that FH seems to have been more on the same page with Capitol at that time than now.  Who knows...   But do we really know for sure that there is an ongoing dispute?  Van Dyke Parks recently mentioned how pleased he was that Frank's work was finally getting its due with this release.  Of course, VDP may have simply seen mock-up packaging that was prepared without formal permission.  We've yet to see anything official from either side.  All we seem to have here are rumors.

Like the aforementioned rarities in the possession of collectors, the Holmes artwork is, to some extent, a now-or-never proposition for both sides.  If it's not purchased by Capitol now, it may never be.  I'm sure that all parties realize this, and I hope that things will be worked out eventually.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »

It will all be included in my forthcoming book The Smile Sessions Finally Released in 2011, or How To Piss Off Phil Cohen At One Fell StrokeGrin

Will that also be released before October?   Razz

Day after the box.

Can this be pre-ordered at Amazon?

Only pre-ordered at Borders.

I will only buy this if I can't get my hands on the epic Bill Tobleman/Fishmonk book.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2011, 01:33:52 PM »

>>The Dalai Lama walks into Domino's Pizza and says "make me one with everything".

PERFECT.  now i will annoy my co-workers with it. Smiley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »

You bring up a good point.  FH did do new illustrations for several songs in the mid-'90s.  Off the top of my head, I remember seeing drawings for Good Vibrations, Fire, Wonderful and CIFOTM.  IIRC, the intention was indeed to supplement the 1966 illustrations with the new drawings for inclusion with Capitol's proposed Smile release at the time.

It's interesting that FH seems to have been more on the same page with Capitol at that time than now.  Who knows...   But do we really know for sure that there is an ongoing dispute?  Van Dyke Parks recently mentioned how pleased he was that Frank's work was finally getting its due with this release.  Of course, VDP may have simply seen mock-up packaging that was prepared without formal permission.  We've yet to see anything official from either side.  All we seem to have here are rumors.

Like the aforementioned rarities in the possession of collectors, the Holmes artwork is, to some extent, a now-or-never proposition for both sides.  If it's not purchased by Capitol now, it may never be.  I'm sure that all parties realize this, and I hope that things will be worked out eventually.

Another issue could be how the payment is made. I think this set will sell for many years so a fee based on units sold may not appeal to Frank who I think is in his late 70s. He could be after a larger 'one off' fee now which is making Capitol nervous.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2011, 08:07:32 PM »

Another issue could be how the payment is made. I think this set will sell for many years so a fee based on units sold may not appeal to Frank who I think is in his late 70s. He could be after a larger 'one off' fee now which is making Capitol nervous.

based on years, his fee might get reduced too. A lot of sales this year, then a lot more in a couple years when the set hits the cut-out/overmanufacture racks

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2011, 06:39:52 AM »

Don't forget that Mr. Holmes' illustrations appeared in BEAUTIFUL DREAMER (the new ones at least -and animated! - but I seem to recall the cover was used as well along with portions of the original illustrations - I haven't watched it in awhile). If the illustrations were used in the documentary, you would think there wouldn't be a huge problem in licensing them for the box set. Perhaps a lower fee was negotiated which would allow for the images to appear in the booklet as historical reference (like the cover was used in the GV Box Set booklet) and not as part of the actual cover art.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2011, 06:48:38 AM »

It will all be included in my forthcoming book The Smile Sessions Finally Released in 2011, or How To Piss Off Phil Cohen At One Fell StrokeGrin

Will that also be released before October?   Razz

Day after the box.

Can this be pre-ordered at Amazon?

Only pre-ordered at Borders.

I will only buy this if I can't get my hands on the epic Bill Tobleman/Fishmonk book.

RALMAO

Cheers

Richard
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2011, 08:42:42 AM »

All 20 of Frank's drawings will be making their appearance in the deluxe box set.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2011, 08:44:16 AM »

All 20 of Frank's drawings will be making their appearance in the deluxe box set.

Splendid, fitting news. Many thanks David. I hope the cover is used as a cover, if you get my drift…

“We live in divisive times.”
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2011, 08:58:07 AM »

Yes, exactly... will the drawings be IN the box set... or ON the box set?

I don't know anything either way, but I'm curious. Sticking 'em printed small with the other archive shots in the documentation IN the box isn't the same as having THAT COVER... er... on the cover.

I guess it might have proven difficult to come to a commercial agreement over the cover of the set.

And of course... the SMiLE Sessions *ISN'T* the original SMiLE album (which, of course, can never be)... so maybe we're in for a Pet Sounds Sessions-style 'similar but different' cover. That works for me too...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2011, 09:06:18 AM »

Where ya been?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »

Any idea of what drawings will be on or in the double-CD edition?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx