gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:48:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wind Chimes. SMiLE or Smiley?  (Read 9588 times)
Bruce Louden
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »

The music to the coda seems to come from "Holidays" which is why the BWPS transition from "On A Holiday" to "Wind Chimes" works so well. Could this have been a similar situation to "Look" where a theme from an abandoned track was salvaged as a vocal riff for another song ("Good Vibrations" being the track that borrowed from "Look")? In that case, it could have been something recycled early on as part of SMiLE or later as part of SMILEY SMILE. I don't know.

The beautiful vocals at the end of the SS WC are definitely the same chord progression as the coda to Holiday, as Roger notes.

To me SS remains vastly under-rated by most.
On some board, years ago, I suggested that the SMiLE sessions - as we already have them - are far more finished on the music/instrumental side.
Whereas SS has essentially completed vocals, with pariticpation by the whole group, but minimized music/instrumentation.

"SMiLE" would then represent a combination of the two approaches: SS-type vcls, SMiLE music backing tracks.

Some wordplays are trivial - some are quadrivial.
                                                                   James Joyce
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 11:08:55 AM »

I really wonder if Brian thought he was making a hit/revolutionary record while recording smiley smile.

In regards to Wind Chimes, i'd take both the SS and SMiLE version over either.

Both have a life of their own. Love the coda in the SS version, but I love blasting the coda in the SMiLE version on my stereo system. I used to really dislike the SMiLE version for that coda, but the more I played it the more I loved it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 11:44:15 AM »

Smiley Smile cements Brian as the very first lo-fi hipster. If he had been an unknown and had recorded Smiley Smile in the early to mid-2000s, he'd have been the next Jeff Magnum. This is what Charles Manson would've recorded if he understood anything about arranging, and knew a few more chords. "With Me Tonight" is like the perfect hippie hymnal. Imagine a dim, candlelit room, incense and marijuana wafting in the air, hippies sitting Indian style on a Persian rug as they chant... the song's presence almost seems to grow from their conviction to the melody and the simple, homey message carried on it. That's why the helium effect on "She's Goin' Bald" works. It's as if they've finally meditated themselves to a higher plain. Brian can now be anything he wants. Just listen to him turn the Beach Boys into a gentle breeze on "Wind Chimes"! Magic!

That's the whole vibe of Smiley Smile, folks. A bunch hippies smoke pot one evening and cut a record. If you can't appreciate that, then maybe you need to stop being uptight and smoke a doob or two, chased with a fine domestic brew. Brian Wilson loves you, and wants you to have a good time with him.

Oh yeah, and you know that bridge on "Wonderful"? "You just gotta cool it, all you gotta do is cool it, man... cool it." That's meta-satire on the Facebook phenomenon.  

Sorry if I blew all your minds.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:46:09 AM by Dada » Logged
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 11:48:14 AM »

Really though, you're making a mistake if you're comparing Smile to Smiley Smile. They have completely differing merits, and both are great on their own. There's nothing like Smiley Smile's "Wind Chimes" on Smile, and there's nothing like "Cabin Essence" on Smiley Smile. Of course, you can draw comparison from afar, but they really are different brands of beauty.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:49:13 AM by Dada » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 12:38:18 PM »

Interesting observation.  I bet you'll see that whichever one people heard first is the one they prefer.  I heard the GV box version of Wind Chimes first, so the Smiley Smile version was a bit weird to me (still is, but it's cool in it's own Smiley Smile way).  Same thing with Wonderful and Vegetables - I heard them on them box first, and those are the versions I prefer.

I heard SS first and love SS Wind Chimes (it's really a totally different song with just the same lyrics and a similar melody) and the dumb-dumb-dumb bass version of Vegetables. When I heard the box set I was rather disappointed with those versions of these two songs. Especially after having been blown away by the SMiLE version of Wonderful, which is way better than the SS version - it only lacks a middle eight. That is, not counting the rock me Henry version. Had that been on the box set, Ram4's theory would have been right for me.

The BWPS version of Wind Chimes though is an improvement over the box set version.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2011, 01:05:59 PM »

Wow, some great responses, and I am mightily heartened to see that everyone feels the same way about Smiley as I do. Chat soon , I is at a rather exciting part of 24. It's Bauer time!
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2011, 04:05:59 PM »

Never been too keen on the SMiLE 'Wind Chimes' 'chorus' if that's what it is. It is far too heavy for such a delicate song. The Smiley Smile version is soooo malevolently perfect. But it is great to have both!

Smiley Smile is rather a 'spooky' album. Perhaps more of a Californian companion to Their Satanic Majesties' Request.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2011, 04:16:56 PM »

I like Smiley Smile for what it is (or isnt) but IMHO both Wonderful and Wind Chimes are unsurpassed in their Smile renditions. The SS versions are like an artist saying, "Look how cool my portrait is in comparison to the Mona Lisa", whereas the Smile versions are the artist saying, "I painted the Mona Lisa."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:18:18 PM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2011, 05:00:04 PM »

Wow, some great responses, and I am mightily heartened to see that everyone feels the same way about Smiley as I do. Chat soon , I is at a rather exciting part of 24. It's Bauer time!

Haha, I'm watching 24 right now too

On topic, I look at both Wonderful's as two separate entities, almost like a Part 1 and 2

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2011, 05:20:49 PM »

Anyone else awaiting with baited breath Bill's Zen interpretation of this song being rammed down their throat next time he logs on?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2011, 05:24:08 PM »

On topic, I look at both Wonderful's as two separate entities, almost like a Part 1 and 2

Oh man, it's been so long, I completely forgot about 24. When did it start again?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 05:27:30 PM »

Anyone else awaiting with baited breath Bill's Zen interpretation of this song being rammed down their throat next time he logs on?

I wouldn't mind hearing his interpretation if there is one. Just my opinion.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »

Bring it on, Bill.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »

Oh man, it's been so long, I completely forgot about 24. When did it start again?

I think it's done, I'm just re-watching my old boxets now I'm on summer break with lots of time to kill lol

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2011, 08:29:59 PM »

Bring it on, Bill.

Don't you worry, Bill.

Essentially, so long as the guy is cool with posting here he's ok with me - his Smile opinions are as welcome as mine.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2011, 09:50:45 PM »

I like Smiley Smile but I definitely prefer the Smile version of Wind Chimes.
But I have to recommend the early version on SOT 18, where you actually hear Brian's piano playing. Those are some awesome chord changes, completely different from the Smile version, can't believe they left that out on SS. It feels almost like Brian had lost his confidence completely when he decided to simplify the songs like that. Or just didn't care.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2011, 10:23:32 AM »

Imagine a dim, candlelit room, incense and marijuana wafting in the air, hippies sitting Indian style on a Persian rug as they chant

No thanks.

P.S. plz don't ruin songs for me in the future. kthx.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2011, 10:26:30 AM »

Imagine a dim, candlelit room, incense and marijuana wafting in the air, hippies sitting Indian style on a Persian rug as they chant

No thanks.

Haaa, my thoughts exactly.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2011, 11:28:38 AM »

No thanks.

That's basically how the song was made, though.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2011, 11:39:22 AM »

The fact that DEADLY MARIJUANA was smoked during the production of the song ruined it for you?

Ah well, more for us.  Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2011, 11:56:41 AM »

Bring it on, Bill.

Don't you worry, Bill.

Essentially, so long as the guy is cool with posting here he's ok with me - his Smile opinions are as welcome as mine.

I think you meant Wonderbill

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2011, 11:58:36 AM »

No thanks.

Haaa, my thoughts exactly.

Really?    That ruins it for you?  seems odd that it would. 
Decrription reminded me of the Skeletons and "Waiting For My Gin To Hit Me"

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2011, 03:48:30 PM »

The fact that DEADLY MARIJUANA was smoked during the production of the song ruined it for you?

No, doofus >: (
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 03:53:47 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2011, 12:46:29 AM »

It feels almost like Brian had lost his confidence completely when he decided to simplify the songs like that. Or just didn't care.

That's interesting that you feel that way. For me it is the other way round. In the first part of the verses in the SMiLE version it is just two chords changed back and forth, while there are some more modulations and vocal arrangements on the Smiley version. Less instruments, but compositionwise more elaborated.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
nosticker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »

As someone else said, SMILEY was the album that got me into the more creative side of BW/BB's.
Never cared for Wind Chimes or Wonderful on Smiley.  When I heard the SMILE versions of those tracks, not only did I get that feeling that "these" were the best versions, I also went back and re-evaluated SMILEY.

This is what I concluded: I will always enjoy the album, but I feel like WC, Wonderful, and With Me Tonight were like a "wake" for the album that was left behind.  The minimalism of the LP still puzzles me.  Maybe Brian felt like he painted himself into a corner with Smile?  Who knows?

And yet, to me, there is something about the SS version of Vegetables that has it all over the Smile one.

Go figure.............

Dan
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx