-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:20:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  David Leaf - anybody here worked with him?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: David Leaf - anybody here worked with him?  (Read 10047 times)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:38:24 AM »

Hi gang-
This board being what it is, I imagine some of you have at some point worked for or with Mr. David Leaf.

I'm altering my career trajectory somewhat (I do motion graphics for DVD menus/features and documenataries, and am leaning towards more doc work), and would like to contact Mr. Leaf about some upcoming work.

Can any of you describe your experiences for me? Anything in particular I should know before approaching him/his company?

Please PM me, if you will; thanks!

-onkster
MBE
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 01:09:16 AM »

Never worked with him but he was rude on the phone the one time we talked.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:23:23 AM »

really? how?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 01:37:56 PM »

Nice guy way back when he published his four volumes of "Pet Sounds", we also were in contact later when the terribly translated version of his book came out in German - but that was about a quarter of a century ago. (Hi David!)

Watson, did you hear this?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »

Speaking of celebs (in the BW/BB world), what are the chances Mr. Leaf would ever post here?
Did he ever post at on the Bloo? I can't remember, I was a member about 7 years ago, I'm smoked and snorted things since then.   Wink

I'd like to think there's some of celeb's that would post here; I know Billy Hinsche posts at Surfermoon.com/Cabinessence.com (Shut Down board?) and Bruce is at the BBB site...we need both here. I also think it'd be cool to see Darian post here or any other of Brian or Mike's band mates.

I wonder where we rank of all the BB boards online....I know we're Top 5 material.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MBE
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 07:22:28 PM »

really? how?

Ok it was a long time ago but I was a lot younger and more sensitive. I was studing to be a media writer and had an early version of The Beach Boys book I hope to bring out within the year now. I called all Beach Boys authors to get advise on interviewing (arranging them and what to expect) and perhaps get some help with my research. I didn't ask him anything too heavy, nor did I in any way tell him I disareed with his theories. He was short, treated me like I was bothering him, was dismissive, basically giving me the impression that he was some sort of VIP and I was a peon. Later I heard he felt threatened by someone else writing about Brian.  May I say everybody else I spoke to (with the exception of Brad Elliott) over the years, and there have been three to four dozen, have been great. At the time though it shattered me. I almost felt like giving up but I am glad I stuck it out. Still everytime I see Leaf I feel sort of sick inside knowing he could treat someone that way. From what I understand Brian has now backed away from his.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 07:42:39 PM »

Ok it was a long time ago but I was a lot younger and more sensitive. I was studing to be a media writer and had an early version of The Beach Boys book I hope to bring out within the year now. I called all Beach Boys authors to get advise on interviewing (arranging them and what to expect) and perhaps get some help with my research. I didn't ask him anything too heavy, nor did I in any way tell him I disareed with his theories. He was short, treated me like I was bothering him, was dismissive, basically giving me the impression that he was some sort of VIP and I was a peon. Later I heard he felt threatened by someone else writing about Brian.  May I say everybody else I spoke to (with the exception of Brad Elliott) over the years, and there have been three to four dozen, have been great. At the time though it shattered me. I almost felt like giving up but I am glad I stuck it out. Still everytime I see Leaf I feel sort of sick inside knowing he could treat someone that way. From what I understand Brian has now backed away from his.

It must be pointed out that you're not the first person I know that had an experience like that with him.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »

he has been very friendly to me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:22:19 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 08:47:37 PM »

The one time I spoke to him after a show in Seattle in 99 or 2000 he was pretty short with me. I asked him why he wasn't writing the liner notes for the Brothers years re-releases and he said "ask Capitol" and turned and walked away. But Jeff Foskett jumped right in and saved the day by talking to me and my pal for a good half hour before dinner and asking what we loved about the show and what songs we'd have liked to hear (Please Let Me Wonder, I said) etc. But yeah, Leaf seemed like a real Dick to me.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
MBE
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 12:08:13 AM »

It must be pointed out that you're not the first person I know that had an experience like that with him.

Since then I learned that. He really does not seem to like other authors.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 07:19:10 AM »

Since then I learned that. He really does not seem to like other authors.

Maybe it's just authors, then? 

We've never been "close", and my memory being what it is, I can't remember whether our conversations were all by letter, or some telephonically, but I've never had the slightest problem dealing with him. He's alwasy seemed friendly in my direction.
Perhaps it was to my benefit that I "arrived" in his circle from my friend Coach( Miss You!) 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 02:34:12 PM »

really? how?

Ok it was a long time ago but I was a lot younger and more sensitive. I was studing to be a media writer and had an early version of The Beach Boys book I hope to bring out within the year now. I called all Beach Boys authors to get advise on interviewing (arranging them and what to expect) and perhaps get some help with my research. I didn't ask him anything too heavy, nor did I in any way tell him I disareed with his theories. He was short, treated me like I was bothering him, was dismissive, basically giving me the impression that he was some sort of VIP and I was a peon. Later I heard he felt threatened by someone else writing about Brian.  May I say everybody else I spoke to (with the exception of Brad Elliott) over the years, and there have been three to four dozen, have been great. At the time though it shattered me. I almost felt like giving up but I am glad I stuck it out. Still everytime I see Leaf I feel sort of sick inside knowing he could treat someone that way. From what I understand Brian has now backed away from his.
Why did he have a falling out with Brian?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 08:50:57 AM »

really? how?

Ok it was a long time ago but I was a lot younger and more sensitive. I was studing to be a media writer and had an early version of The Beach Boys book I hope to bring out within the year now. I called all Beach Boys authors to get advise on interviewing (arranging them and what to expect) and perhaps get some help with my research. I didn't ask him anything too heavy, nor did I in any way tell him I disareed with his theories. He was short, treated me like I was bothering him, was dismissive, basically giving me the impression that he was some sort of VIP and I was a peon. Later I heard he felt threatened by someone else writing about Brian.  May I say everybody else I spoke to (with the exception of Brad Elliott) over the years, and there have been three to four dozen, have been great. At the time though it shattered me. I almost felt like giving up but I am glad I stuck it out. Still everytime I see Leaf I feel sort of sick inside knowing he could treat someone that way. From what I understand Brian has now backed away from his.
Why did he have a falling out with Brian?
He did?
when?

We're still talking Mr. Leaf, right?
I'd like to know about it too....maybe he needs to re-do his book and release it for a nice check.  Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

MBE
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 01:15:02 AM »

AGD would have to answer that. I recall him stating there was a falling out but I heard no detail.
MBE
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 02:10:56 AM »

Maybe it's just authors, then?  Maybe but I have no idea why he was the way he was. Or why he tried to make Mike Love and Marilyn look bad.
Honestly I am just relating my experience as it happened. I think very little of him and his work period.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:13:41 AM by MBE » Logged
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 02:19:54 AM »

He thinks he's the celebrity, not the people he represents. No wonder Brian got shut....
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:32:09 AM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 01:51:15 PM »

Hmmm, well, this all sounds little better or worse than many people I've dealt with here in town.

About the falling out--wouldn't that have to be pretty recent? Wasn't there a CD given away with ESQ around the SMiLE period in '04?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 02:04:57 PM »

Hmmm, well, this all sounds little better or worse than many people I've dealt with here in town.

About the falling out--wouldn't that have to be pretty recent? Wasn't there a CD given away with ESQ around the SMiLE period in '04?

There isn't any falling out. If there was, how do you explain Kayla's hooking up with Brian thru David?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: