gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:18:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jazz  (Read 29054 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 01:15:11 AM »

Captain, I may have quizzed you on this before but i remember hearing something French-titled by Miles on a jazz programme on French radio in the late '60s where apparently you could hear that a piece of skin from his lip had attached itself to the trumpet mouthpiece. It must have been from Filles de Kilimanjaro, unless my memory's playing me up (again).

The album that includes the legend you're referring to is actually from the late 50s, not the late 60s, and it was called L'Ascenseur Pour L'echafaud the last word of which looks awfully ugly to be French. Looks German to these damn-near illiterate eyes! Also, for the record, I have no idea what the album title means. Rather than Google it, I'll say "Ascension of German Elves." Also, I say "legend" because it has been pretty seriously questioned. But there are plenty of examples where Miles is blowing through audible spittle, I can say that, disgusting though it might be.

Sad to hear that tune isn't working! I noticed that for some reason, that album has very little available online compared to many, and lots seemed to be blocked in the USA. Perhaps that one is blocked where you are (Netherlands, is it?)

Yep, the Netherlands. Thanks for the clarification! Perhaps just as well that it's a legend----like the audible spittle, it's pretty off-putting, particularly after breakfast.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 04:50:17 AM »

Nice, thanks. I'm fascinated reading about Miles, even though I'm not familiar with a lot of his music yet. He seems to have pioneered at least 3-4 subgenres of jazz! Is there anybody in rock that can claim to that?

He really did: maybe something like a Bowie or Madonna, it's not exactly that he pioneered, but he was always smart about hopping on and advancing or perfecting things that were bubbling up. If there is anything you like or hate, I'd be really happy to dive in and try to help get you further on those tracks (or off them). I know I've been in and out around here and my time and energy are inconsistent on these things, but this is the kind of effort that is very worthwhile to me.

Do you have a favorite genre?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 06:28:08 AM »

Nice, thanks. I'm fascinated reading about Miles, even though I'm not familiar with a lot of his music yet. He seems to have pioneered at least 3-4 subgenres of jazz! Is there anybody in rock that can claim to that?

He really did: maybe something like a Bowie or Madonna, it's not exactly that he pioneered, but he was always smart about hopping on and advancing or perfecting things that were bubbling up. If there is anything you like or hate, I'd be really happy to dive in and try to help get you further on those tracks (or off them). I know I've been in and out around here and my time and energy are inconsistent on these things, but this is the kind of effort that is very worthwhile to me.

Do you have a favorite genre?

Of Miles, or in general? Either way, that's a tough one.

With Miles, I tend to like the peaks of almost each era. For example, Birth of the Cool showcases cool better than anything by anyone, in my opinion. I'm less a fan of his first great quintet's music, amazing though it is (Round About Midnight, Walkin, Cookin, etc). Kind of Blue is the high point of his modal kind-of blues (and maybe the high point of jazz). Sketches of Spain is an insanely beautiful jazz-classical hybrid. Miles Smiles to me is the best of his real post-bop mid-60s stuff with the second great quintet. Then there's the electric stuff I've mentioned, which also covers various styles: the songless, dreamy stuff like Bitches Brew or In a Silent Way, the song-oriented Filles, the rock-funk Jack Johnson...

Overall, I like the mid-late 60s music that expanded beyond the solo-like-fire bop AND the overly orchestrated, stiff cool or hybrid stuff. There was a period there where the musicians were just top notch, versatile enough to play legitimate classical music, any previous jazz form, and blues and rock. Albums in that era by people like Miles, Freddie Hubbard, Andrew Hill, Oliver Nelson, Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans, Wayne Shorter, and many others are worth checking out. And yet maybe my favorite musician is Thelonious Monk, whose best work is mostly from the late 50s and early 60s. So there's that.

I should add, I'm not as big a fan of free jazz, such as Ornette Coleman's music or some of Coltrane's later stuff. I'm a pretty big believer in structure as being necessary to frame art. As the great Frank Zappa said in his autobiography, without a frame, it's just "what is that sh*t on the wall?"
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:29:18 AM by the captain » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 07:27:44 AM »

Even as a jazz agnostic I have three albums by Miles, Birth of the Cool, Jack Johnson and the magnificent Sketches of Spain, the last of which I heartily recommend.

Sketches of Spain is an insanely beautiful jazz-classical hybrid.

I've just listened to this for the first time. Beautiful, ethereal.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 07:56:00 AM »

It's one of several examples of Miles working with Gil Evans with spectacular results. Birth of the Cool, Porgy and Bess, and Quiet Nights are some others. There are more, including one "modern" one in the 80s, but I forget them off the top of my head. (Evans also worked on Filles de Kilimanjaro, uncredited.) But Sketches is to me the best of that pair.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »

I was just watching an interview between Josh Summers and jazz pianist Aaron Goldberg (on meaningoflife.tv, via youtube) in which the latter recommended this approach to getting into jazz: start with late 50s or early 60s Miles Davis, and based on what you like or don't, go from there. The players will be good, so if you like this or that one, just go forward or backward in time as feels appropriate. The implication was that more or less all roads lead to or from Miles.

What do the fellow jazz fans think? Is that the best way to dig into jazz?

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 07:42:37 AM »

Speak of Miles, I got myself a little gift a couple of days ago:

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2017, 10:15:04 AM »

Some great, great stuff there!

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 10:32:12 AM »

And at the moment I can't stop listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYFachqAup4

So fast, groovy and demented.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 04:50:00 AM »

Here's some stuff I've gotten into since I posted last time:

Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners
Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures
Duke Ellington - Far East Suite

+ more albums by Miles, Coltrane and Mingus.

Andrew Hill and Oliver Nelson are on my wish-list, as per Captain's suggestion.

What is the best place to start for Charlie Parker and Louis Armstrong?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2018, 06:30:21 AM »

Sorry, Ovi, I'm not your man on these. My jazz tastes really only barely extend back to bebop and even less before. (I think bebop is supremely interesting from a music theory perspective, but not especially interesting to listen to.)

I would say with Louis, find his earlier stuff, the Hot Five and Hot Seven music. With Charlie Parker you can't really go wrong anywhere. In both cases, you're really talking about the pre-LP era for the most part, so it's a matter of collections regardless. But I'm nowhere near familiar enough to give good recommendations.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2018, 06:17:29 AM »

Got into Albert Ayler's Spiritual Unity and it just blew me away. One of the most intense albums I've ever heard. And Art Blakey's Moanin' is another great one.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2018, 01:59:31 PM »

Got into Albert Ayler's Spiritual Unity and it just blew me away. One of the most intense albums I've ever heard. And Art Blakey's Moanin' is another great one.

Hi Ovi. Seems our jazz guru has done a runner. I haven't seen the captain around for a while. Maybe this will coax him back. Cool

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the Ayler some time soon.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2018, 02:25:41 PM »

Got into Albert Ayler's Spiritual Unity and it just blew me away. One of the most intense albums I've ever heard.

I listened to it last night and contrary to expectations thoroughly enjoyed it. Some brilliant playing, particularly Gary Peacock on bass. Wow. Thanks for the tip, Ovi. Smiley

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2018, 05:59:27 AM »

Got into Albert Ayler's Spiritual Unity and it just blew me away. One of the most intense albums I've ever heard.

I listened to it last night and contrary to expectations thoroughly enjoyed it. Some brilliant playing, particularly Gary Peacock on bass. Wow. Thanks for the tip, Ovi. Smiley

Glad you liked it, man.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2018, 06:10:07 PM »

Favorite jazz is Sun Ra (Arkestra). It's cool & multi-faceted. Would be coolest gift if some kind creature bought Sun Ra's 100+ albums, then sent each via sendspace as zip files for free! 3D But, it'll be difficult task to find the entire catalog.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2018, 10:26:12 PM »

As I've written ad nauseum, I'm a big Thelonious Monk fan. Just spun the self-titled album a few times while I read this afternoon and was (as always) thrilled. Almost giddy, as Monk always seems to be. That version of "Just a Gigolo" is one of my favorite records of anything, ever.
I've been listening to "Brilliant Corners" a lot lately. What a weird, wonderful song.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2018, 11:44:24 AM »

Do you jazz fans think that the genre can be enjoyed as much without a musical theory knowledge?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2018, 01:26:43 PM »

Do you jazz fans think that the genre can be enjoyed as much without a musical theory knowledge?

Great to see you around again, Ovi. Smiley

I'm not a jazz fan (although I like and even love isolated pieces) so I'll pass on this one. Wink

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2018, 01:28:59 PM »

Yes. Like any other music genre.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2019, 01:11:53 AM »

Legendary Jazz Label Blue Note Announces 80th Anniversary Year Of Celebrations

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/legendary-jazz-label-blue-note-announces-80th-anniversary-year-celebrations/?fbclid=IwAR2Ww0T-JslcFMcsV2ZQmAp93uOMYUNkyemzXyx0mgcmq1IMZ8EyVdG1Btc

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2019, 05:49:28 AM »

André Previn, who died last week aged 89, was a first-rate jazz pianist as well as a composer and conductor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZKzTMr1M5E

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_Previn
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 01:57:27 PM by JK » Logged

SBonilla
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2019, 07:51:26 AM »

André Previn, who died last week aged 89, was a first-rate jazz pianist as well as a composer and conductor:

My one and only piano recital featured his piece, LIKE YOUNG.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2019, 12:56:06 PM »

My one and only piano recital featured his piece, LIKE YOUNG.

Wow, Steve, that must have been some recital! Roll Eyes

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2019, 03:19:58 AM »

Oooff! Old Tubey pointed me at this yesterday and I knew I had to link it here. Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGZFJXMuWXk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamaal_Williams

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx