gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:48:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jazz  (Read 29041 times)
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2006, 05:10:53 PM »

Swing, Big Band, Blues, Acoustic, Latin, whatever you prefer in jazz. List artists, albums, songs, etc. etc.

Listening to a live version of Sing Sing Sing. Can't really do any better than this as far as big bands go. Mad-man Gene Krupa on drums, Goodman on Clarinet, and a hot band to boost. Count Basie Orchestra is fodaing incredible. I thought Glenn Miller was the best thing around, until I started listening to this online jazz station. With Basie, Goodman, etc. etc. Ella Fitzgerald is by far my favorite jazz female vocalist ever. The Andrew Sisters were great too.

Are there any dvds that show Gene Krupa on drums? Man Id love to see his drummin' action.

What is your taste?

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 05:15:14 PM »

Love it! Im actually takin an Evolution of Jazz class this semester (the only class in that section that I wanted to take)...and I'm lovin the stuff my teacher has been showing us. He plays at a few bars around here with his band, cool dude.

Favorite album for a while has been 'Duke Ellington - The Far East Suite' and my gf just gave me The Best of Chet Baker Sings...awesome stuff!

Also been diggin 'Cannonball Adderly - Mercy, Mercy, Mercy'  Cool Guy

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 02:49:45 PM »

Also been diggin 'Cannonball Adderly - Mercy, Mercy, Mercy'  Cool Guy

Yes, indeed. Featuring Joe Zawinul on Fender Rhodes. I bought that as a 45 at the time...

Why has this topic been lying dormant for ten years?! Something to do with Jonas's ridiculous avatar, perhaps? LOL   

To complement the equivalent topic at the PS Forum, this for me is the ultimate when it comes to jazz. One breath-taking moment after the other. And that dainty patter of applause at the end----hilarious! (I should add that I have not been bitten by the jazz bug.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIH3fNUsbnA 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »

Thanks for the link. Was listening to it while the TV, on mute, was showing an old broadcast of the Lawrence Welk Show. The tap dancer was in perfect sync with Mr Coltrane. Surreal 😀

Yes, Jonas' avatar gives me migraines! And am afraid to "bump" a thread as I haven't been here long enough and don't want to be yelled at. But anyway, Jonas listed about taking a class on Jazz. One of the best courses I ever took was a Freshman elective on the history of Jazz I took in the early seventies. Was in seventh heaven.

Love the Benny Goodman concert at Carnegie Hall featuring Sing Sing Sing (have seen videos of Gene Krupa, will look for them). Also Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Thelonius Monk, early Miles Davis, singers such as the Boswell Sisters, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, and finally some West Coast groups such as the Dave Brubeck Quartet and Vince Guaraldi.

Also fusion groups such as Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, and Pat Metheny - his song, American Garage, got me up many a morning circa 1980.

Am open to hearing some more Jazz; am most interested in  Classic Jazz but could stand to expand my horizons a bit.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 04:34:45 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 07:13:55 AM »

Am open to hearing some more Jazz; am most interested in Classic Jazz but could stand to expand my horizons a bit.

It struck me that there was at least one more jazz topic going down----and here it is:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10805

It may give you some fresh avenues to follow...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:59:40 PM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 09:33:17 AM »

February 26, 2017 will be the 100th anniversary of the first recorded Jazz song. While jazz music had been playing for a few years, no recording was made of it until February 26, 1917

Livery Stable Blues, by the Original Dixieland Jazz (Jass) Band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9chC3kBlDdQ

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 03:49:12 AM »

February 26, 2017 will be the 100th anniversary of the first recorded Jazz song. While jazz music had been playing for a few years, no recording was made of it until February 26, 1917

Livery Stable Blues, by the Original Dixieland Jazz (Jass) Band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9chC3kBlDdQ

Fabulous----to say nothing of the excellent sound quality...

I love the whinnying clarinet----"Barnyard" avant la lettre!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 03:28:47 PM »

As I've written ad nauseum, I'm a big Thelonious Monk fan. Just spun the self-titled album a few times while I read this afternoon and was (as always) thrilled. Almost giddy, as Monk always seems to be. That version of "Just a Gigolo" is one of my favorite records of anything, ever.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 12:18:21 PM »

As I've written ad nauseum, I'm a big Thelonious Monk fan. Just spun the self-titled album a few times while I read this afternoon and was (as always) thrilled. Almost giddy, as Monk always seems to be. That version of "Just a Gigolo" is one of my favorite records of anything, ever.

I found two versions:

https://youtu.be/j07z-42cxPI

https://youtu.be/WRs1mA2jnd8

i should imagine you mean the second one. The first one has a great cover. :=)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »

I found two versions:

Actually it's this version (I've got it cued up, 7:36 or so into the album). The man liked rerecording his songs...

https://youtu.be/PjPxpCOYqC4?t=7m36s

This is a fantastic Monk album. It includes the debut of his great song "Bemsha Swing."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 04:37:10 AM »

I found two versions:

Actually it's this version (I've got it cued up, 7:36 or so into the album). The man liked rerecording his songs...

https://youtu.be/PjPxpCOYqC4?t=7m36s

This is a fantastic Monk album. It includes the debut of his great song "Bemsha Swing."

Gave that version a listen too...

I guess that jazz bug doesn't like my aftershave or something. It refuses to bite, at all events.

A few pieces do grab me (one or two very firmly indeed) but I fear jazz as a whole will forever remain one huge mystery to me. Grin   

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 01:12:51 AM »

I guess that jazz bug doesn't like my aftershave or something. It refuses to bite, at all events.

A few pieces do grab me (one or two very firmly indeed) but I fear jazz as a whole will forever remain one huge mystery to me. Grin   
I'm curious to know what the second one is (one being "Afro-Blue," I assume).

I bought this recently:

As I might have mentioned before, Mingus is pretty cool. I'm excited to finally have The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady and Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus in my library. Don't know much about the other four albums, but based on what I've heard so far I can't really go wrong.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »

I'm curious to know what the second one is (one being "Afro-Blue," I assume).

Well, the other (maybe there are more!) is a track I heard just once on French radio in '67. It's "A Bluish Bag" from Shelly Manne's album Jazz Gunn. What blew me away was Monty Budwig's hell-bent-for-leather walking bass line, which is played with the bow instead of plucked. Astonishing! You only get a few seconds, unfortunately, but it gives you the general idea...

http://www.ifmusic.co.uk/product.php?products_id=11649

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 02:01:09 AM »

I heard an unidentified piece by harpist Alice Coltrane on the radio yesterday and so I'm exploring her work. This is the title track of her album Journey in Satchidananda. (I must confess to preferring her on harp than on piano.) Love the droning tanpura!     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQtEFdyhgdE

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 02:40:54 AM »

I've just gotten into jazz (the later, more experimental period at least). I only know 3 albums, A Love Supreme, In a Silent Way and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. Any recommendations are welcome.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 04:07:55 AM »

I've just gotten into jazz (the later, more experimental period at least). I only know 3 albums, A Love Supreme, In a Silent Way and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. Any recommendations are welcome.

Hi Ovi. I'm not too up on jazz myself but there are some interesting suggestions by others earlier in this topic.

My own favourite jazz track is Coltrane's "Afro Blue" from the album Live at Birdland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIH3fNUsbnA 

The captain is a big Thelonius Monk fan----of course, he may drop in himself with some advice...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 05:47:01 AM »

Are you looking to stick in later (60s and after?) experimental music or are you looking to expand?

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 01:58:39 PM »

Are you looking to stick in later (60s and after?) experimental music or are you looking to expand?

Hmm, both I guess. I don't think I'm ready yet for the old big band stuff, which I have an (uninformed) aversion towards. But I'm looking to understand the difference between sub-genres too.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »

Here are a few ideas. They all maintain some experimental spirit and are mostly from the 60s (though Taylor, ahead of his time, is from the mid 50s).

Cecil Taylor, Jazz Advance is one of the earlier avante garde albums. Taylor is an amazing pianist (although a bit of a pretentious dick, in my opinion). It might hurt your head. It's worth it.

Miles Davis's Filles de Kilimanjaro came just before In a Silent Way and is to my ears--and as far as I know, to my ears alone--the better album. It was his first album with electronic keyboards on every song, though it did not yet have electric guitar. (The previous album, Miles in the Sky, had electric guitar on one song.) I love these songs, love the sometimes distorted electric pianos...great album. More song-oriented than IASW, if you're into that.

Oliver Nelson, Blues and the Abstract Truth, is a bigger band, but not a big band. Great, great playing from Nelson (saxes), Eric Dolphy (sax and flute), Freddie Hubbard (trumpet), Bill Evans (piano), Paul Chambers (bass), Roy Haynes (drums) and George Barrow (bari sax). That is an all-star cast.

Andrew Hill's Point of Departure is another bigger band, and a more thoroughly composed set of music from the brilliant composer-pianist Hill. Also includes Dolphy, as well as Miles's drummer of the era, Tony Williams, Joe Henderson on tenor, Richard Davis on bass and Kenny Dorham on trumpet.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 04:40:36 PM »

I wanted to give a little more to go on. I realize those little sentences aren't much. But yet honestly, at the moment, I can't spend a ton of time going into the kind of detail I ought to go into for you--and I do apologize for that. But I came across this nice re-evaluation of Filles de Kilimanjaro, by Miles Davis, and I think it says some good things about the album that might spur your interest. (I have never heard of the site before and don't have a clue about it: maybe it's trash in general, entirely disreputable. But this piece seemed worthwhile to me.)

http://www.jazzviews.net/miles-davis---filles-de-kilimanjaro-a-re-evaluation.html

And for your convenience, here is a link to that music. I really hope you like it half as much as I do. To me, this not-quite-fusion, not-quite-post bop, makes it really interesting. This is the missing link, to some perspective, and yet to me it's actually a worthwhile end in and of itself. This isn't an arrow pointing anywhere, it's the place to where more arrows should've pointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiGf9nQsqe4

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 02:05:02 AM »

Nice, thanks. I'm fascinated reading about Miles, even though I'm not familiar with a lot of his music yet. He seems to have pioneered at least 3-4 subgenres of jazz! Is there anybody in rock that can claim to that?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 02:50:06 AM »

Even as a jazz agnostic I have three albums by Miles, Birth of the Cool, Jack Johnson and the magnificent Sketches of Spain, the last of which I heartily recommend.

Captain, I may have quizzed you on this before but i remember hearing something French-titled by Miles on a jazz programme on French radio in the late '60s where apparently you could hear that a piece of skin from his lip had attached itself to the trumpet mouthpiece. It must have been from Filles de Kilimanjaro, unless my memory's playing me up (again).

Incidentally, I can't access your last link ("Selon Brun") and can't find an alternative. Pity.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 03:29:51 PM »

Nice, thanks. I'm fascinated reading about Miles, even though I'm not familiar with a lot of his music yet. He seems to have pioneered at least 3-4 subgenres of jazz! Is there anybody in rock that can claim to that?

He really did: maybe something like a Bowie or Madonna, it's not exactly that he pioneered, but he was always smart about hopping on and advancing or perfecting things that were bubbling up. If there is anything you like or hate, I'd be really happy to dive in and try to help get you further on those tracks (or off them). I know I've been in and out around here and my time and energy are inconsistent on these things, but this is the kind of effort that is very worthwhile to me.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 03:33:54 PM »

Even as a jazz agnostic I have three albums by Miles, Birth of the Cool, Jack Johnson and the magnificent Sketches of Spain, the last of which I heartily recommend.

Captain, I may have quizzed you on this before but i remember hearing something French-titled by Miles on a jazz programme on French radio in the late '60s where apparently you could hear that a piece of skin from his lip had attached itself to the trumpet mouthpiece. It must have been from Filles de Kilimanjaro, unless my memory's playing me up (again).

Incidentally, I can't access your last link ("Selon Brun") and can't find an alternative. Pity.

All three of those albums are stone-cold classics. No question. And each entirely different than the other two, to bring back Ovi's wise comment about Miles's diversity. (And they really only cover one of the several subgenres with which miles is most often given credit for starting or moving ahead!)

The album that includes the legend you're referring to is actually from the late 50s, not the late 60s, and it was called L'Ascenseur Pour L'echafaud the last word of which looks awfully ugly to be French. Looks German to these damn-near illiterate eyes! Also, for the record, I have no idea what the album title means. Rather than Google it, I'll say "Ascension of German Elves." Also, I say "legend" because it has been pretty seriously questioned. But there are plenty of examples where Miles is blowing through audible spittle, I can say that, disgusting though it might be.

Sad to hear that tune isn't working! I noticed that for some reason, that album has very little available online compared to many, and lots seemed to be blocked in the USA. Perhaps that one is blocked where you are (Netherlands, is it?)

The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 05:08:58 PM »

This is one of my favorite jazz albums: https://youtu.be/xbZIiom9rDA
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx