gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:09:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fun Fun Fun  (Read 3501 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2006, 02:05:10 PM »

Has anyone else ever felt that the lead vocal part (no matter who's singing it, though I noticed it with Brian) on Fun Fun Fun just doesn't do the right note? I don't know enough about music to word this properly, but just listen to the line: "and she's cruising to the hamburger STAND now"; it sounds like the STAND line is just out of the singer's range, even in most cover versions. It just seems like "stand now" should be alot higher than it is.

Is anyone following me here?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 02:19:21 PM »

Check out the,

"Mind of Brian 5: Fun, Fun, Fun"
by Greg Panfile

Which can be found from http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze4932g/panfile.html

I don't think it mentions what the subject of your post was on though. I'm pretty sure the note is in key, but possibly just sounds a bit strained.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 02:22:27 PM »

I like the live version on te '73 "In Concert" album.  Mike reallystretches it there, and it sounds so cool (as in white middle-class kid-next-door cool).

C-Man
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 02:34:08 PM »

Mike also has those "problems" on the '66 Medley on "Endless harmony". And while we're there, it also shows up in their appereance on Baywatch -> awful

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 02:48:19 PM »

yeah, whatsup with that? when the medley begins you hear mike say something about a phony start?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 04:13:21 PM »

yeah, whatsup with that? when the medley begins you hear mike say something about a phony start?

Because they started with surfin' safari and went into fun,fun,fun.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 04:38:34 PM »

Check out the,

"Mind of Brian 5: Fun, Fun, Fun"
by Greg Panfile

Which can be found from http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze4932g/panfile.html

I don't think it mentions what the subject of your post was on though. I'm pretty sure the note is in key, but possibly just sounds a bit strained.
I think I figured out the problem; the chord goes from Eb to Ab at that point (the "STAND now", "CAN now", "YOU now", etc) whereas normally we would except it to just stay the Eb. I played that line without the Ab and it makes the STAND alot less strainy.

And wow, anyone that dislikes the Beach Boys should be shown those Mind of Brian things, they're insane. Really makes you appreciate the songs alot more.

That being said, those essays remind me alot of what I do with bad paintings by my art student friends, making up nonsense about how everything in painting was intentional -- "You see how that line's not completely straight? It's a commentary on the imperfection we all feel in our souls, and that smude to the left of it is how when we strive to better ourselves, it actually ends up alienating those around us."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 04:43:32 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 05:28:59 PM »

Did you read the articles for the other songs as well?

They're excellently done. So are his Beatles few things if you're a fan.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 08:55:02 PM »

I read the one for the Lonely Sea, too.. really gave me a whole new outlook on a song which I previously thought was a pretty greenhornish attempt at creating a ballad.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 09:05:04 PM »

I read through all of those he did a few years ago...they are fantastically done, very informative and educational.  They give a whole new insight into songs that sound so deceptively simple, such as Lonely Sea (like Aegir points out), Fun Fun Fun and Don't Worry Baby.  Anyone who doubt's Brian's genius should read these.  You hear the songs in a whole new way after reading Greg's analysis. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx