gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:21:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Montclair, NJ Brian show  (Read 7194 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:40:37 PM »

Here's what I posted on the blueboard about this show:
If I'm honest, I'll say that it looked as if Brian wasn't having his best night. He had a couple of nice intros, but it wasn't like when I saw him on the last tour. It's early in the tour, right, so maybe he's still finding his rhythm. But he missed a few cues, lost his place in the lyrics a couple of times, and was off-key a few times. And this was in both sets--greatest hits and Gershwin. He always leaves the stage before the end of the last song, but he left super early after each set, as if he couldn't wait to get out of there.

I will say that the band was great, though maybe not quite up to what I've seen before from them. I think part of it was that Taylor was missing. She really is important. I also think that the band may have been a bit lacking in enthusiasm in response to Brian's lack of enthusiasm. Jeff in particular seemed to be looking at Brian (not the audience) for much of the time. But the playing was still way above average. Darian's lead on Darlin was as good as I remembered from the last tour. The band on the Gershwin stuff was great...really top notch.

The Wellmont is a small theater, and it wasn't filled, but it was maybe 80 percent. My friend who is not a Brian/BB fan was perplexed as to why everyone was sitting for so many songs--though there was enthusiastic applause, and people did stand for select songs. We finally just stood up and clapped and danced the whole time. I was annoyed that some people didn't return after intermission for the Gershwin set. And some people got up to leave during the Gershwin set. Do Boomers not want to hear their parents' music? :-) I personally love those songs and was pleased to hear them, with the interludes from the album and everything.

All in all, I had a great time, but the show quite wasn't as good as other Brian shows I've seen.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »

Based on a sample of three shows and info gleaned from reliable reporters (as below), my impression is that Brian's engaged by the Gershwin set and could really care less about the rest. I think the astonishing enthusiasm of the fall 2009 tour didn't sustain. Maybe retirement is a good idea.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 01:25:58 AM »

In that case, since it's the final tour, they should let Brian do whatever the hell songs he wants to do live.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 01:42:19 AM »

In that case, since it's the final tour, they should let Brian do whatever the hell songs he wants to do live.

I'm not sure 50 minutes of "Shortenin' Bread" followed by an hour of "Be My Baby" with an encore of 10 minutes of "Barbara Ann" would put many bums on seats.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 02:05:35 AM »

At least for the final show, Brian should choose his setlist, and have it be filmed. Obviously, he would have to mix it up a bit...but I miss the diverse setlists of the earlier tours.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 02:27:47 AM »

"Brian Wilson Reimagines Phil Spector".

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 02:40:20 AM »

Wondering if, having taken the decision to retire from touring, he's treading water until the tour ends.

“We live in divisive times.”
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 04:10:48 AM »

I am stoked that Dad, my four boys and I got to see him in Australia twice last year. He has earnt whatever he does next..He seems from all reports to be a "little" down at the moment.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 04:52:43 AM »

That sounds pretty good to me, actually! haha  Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 04:58:51 AM »

"Brian Wilson Reimagines Shortenin' Bread".
Jason
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 06:37:20 AM »

As far as I'm concerned, the best I ever saw Brian in a live setting was in October and November of 2009 during his American tour, which, to this day, I still believe are the best shows and tour he's ever done. He set the bar up so high that he couldn't possibly top them again this time around.

He didn't.

However, the show wasn't a waste. Brian was very into the Gershwin material and the band was exceptionally good. The lack of Taylor did hurt, though. Brian looked very disinterested during the first set, and he looked like he was ready to scream at the teleprompter during Please Let Me Wonder. The only song he really seemed into during the first set was Heroes and Villains. Otherwise, he wasn't the same Brian we saw back in late 2009. Everything he said to the audience sounded as if it came right from the teleprompter, except for one moment where he exclaimed during the first set "these two people here are waving their fingers at me! I don't know, what should I do?!?" that he sounded like he was having a bit of fun.

Definitely not the best I've seen of him but not a waste. Go out and find a way to see him this tour; it may be his last.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 06:43:22 AM »

Wondering if, having taken the decision to retire from touring, he's treading water until the tour ends.

I think he's just feeling down on account of his daily Deli having been outed

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 07:12:57 AM »

I agree that Brian was more into the Gershwin stuff than the hits, but he still didn't seem as engaged as he had in 2009. He practically barked out Nothing But Love (last song) and then left the stage so the band did the Rhapsody reprise without him. He was really trying on Summertime, Porgy, etc, though, and he sounded good. But yes, 2009 is a high bar to set for Brian. I remember how he introduced nearly every song and had nice interactions with the band. That was missing last night.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 08:33:04 AM »

We gotta get Boyd to do the "Shortenin' Bread" suite he keeps talking about.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »

We gotta get Boyd to do the "Shortenin' Bread" suite he keeps talking about.
Ahem, I'm not Boyd but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCvOiwUMNW8

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 09:54:23 AM »

Sounds like Brian is ready to throw in the towel and this may very well be his last days of touring. Read on another thread that he's talking about Palm Springs - not sure if it's permanent but that's Retirementville. Without Taylor and the Gershwin set, I'm debating whether I wanna pay 80 smackers (x2) to see more greatest hits. When he was out here in Oakland last time, other than  the "Lucky Old Sun" stuff, it was the exact same scenario as what Amy described above. Seems like he just went through the motions. I might sit this one out.

Also agree on Taylor. She's good eye candy and has a real good voice. Brian & the band need her in there. Seriously. 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 02:51:22 PM »

Brian is in good voice this tour...I'd ay at least as good as 09, and maybe a little better on some of the material.  I was transfixed watching him do I Love You Porgy.

The audience interaction is way down this time.  Maybe after a few shows.....?  And I too saw that Foskett stare/glare?  And I missed Taylor.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 03:30:39 PM »

Seeing Brian TWICE in september  Shocked Shocked, Dublin and Manchester..

Hope he's on form

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 05:05:43 PM »

I seem to have caused some alarm here, and especially on the blueboard.

It's very likely that it was just the one show that Brian wasn't feeling up to doing. Or that it was just my perception that he wasn't enjoying himself. Others say the other shows were great, so keep your hopes up.
Jason
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 06:03:24 PM »

It's very likely that it was just the one show that Brian wasn't feeling up to doing. Or that it was just my perception that he wasn't enjoying himself. Others say the other shows were great, so keep your hopes up.

I took your review at face value (something that is out of many Brianistas' league) and I saw nothing in it that would cause any alarm to any Brian fan possessing a stable mind and UNBIASED judgment. Posting it on the blueboard, where many of those qualities are lacking in the membership...that was probably not that good of an idea, since you're liable to be made to drink the Kool-Aid for a dissenting opinion over there.

OH NO! BRIAN FLUBBED ON PLEASE LET ME WONDER! THE END IS NEAR! THE MIND GANGSTERS HAVE WON!

Give me a break. It's my experience from seeing the man live seven times and hearing countless bootlegs that he makes a flub or several in almost every show. Even when I saw him in 2009 he flubbed a few words here and there - I recall during Sloop John B. in Wilkes-Barre, PA in November of 2009, Brian flubbed at the beginning and imitated a gallows execution. Flubs are part of the experience at a Brian Wilson concert, like mosh pits at a Metallica concert or being pissed and shat on at a GG Allin concert. Brian has never been terrible in live performance although he's come close a few times - it's called THE ROAD. The road brings good nights, ok nights, and bad nights. I'd say that the fact that at almost 69 years of age that the man can still put on a GOOD, let alone great, show, is telling. Do I expect him to do it forever? Hell no. The man deserves a retirement, too. If this turns out to be the last tour, I'll know I saw the man giving his best on that night.

Best keep the criticism off of the blueboard, Amy. Both for your sanity and the continued blissful ignorance of the membership there.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 06:04:28 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 09:40:44 PM »

Being honest - i. e. even hinting that not every last millisecond of Brian's performance was perfect - will always cause panic in certain quarters of the Bloo. My impression from accurate reports of the first three shows and talking to a couple of friends is that while, as ever, Brian is engaged by the new material and thus goes the extra mile, as for the rest he could care less than less. The recent interviews, and his trip over here have given me pause for thought: he's suddenly looking/sounding his age and more... the spark is greatly diminished.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 10:16:25 PM »

Think you're all overreacting a bit.

This is Brian's first tour in a year, I would think he needs a little time to get into the motions

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 06:19:48 AM »

The one or two individuals on the blueboard who took issue with my review had strong responses, but others defended my viewpoint or didn't respond, as if acknowledging that it's normal for a performer to have an off-night. So it was really just a couple of people.

I don't know that I agree that he suddenly seems older than before. My friend (non-BB/Brian fan) asked how old he was and when I told her, she said she thought he was older than that, simply because of the way he hobbled off the stage after each set. But we all know that Brian will hobble one minute and jog the next, depending on his mood. That recent interview from Canada impressed me a lot. Brian seemed quite engaged and young.

That said, he IS older. I was taken aback the last time I saw Mike, too, but again, everyone is getting older. I'm impressed that they're all still able to undertake long tours. Looking at Brian's schedule, I'M exhausted.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 04:47:38 PM »

The recent interviews, and his trip over here have given me pause for thought: he's suddenly looking/sounding his age and more... the spark is greatly diminished.

I'd imagine the sales of Gerswhin didn't do Brian any favors. And as far as the low ticket sales, he deserves it. I love Brian, but if you think I'm going to pay $50+ for a guy that looks at his watch during shows and cruise controls through entire songs, you'd have to be out of your mind. I'd pay, at most, $20 for a Brian Wilson show. Yeah, his band is good, but they aren't the Beach Boys. They're just asking for too much money to go and watch a cover band and a Beach Boy that seems disinterested in half his catalog. They need to give Brian a year or two off. Maybe even he let him retire. He's a legend. No use tarnishing his image, especially when the performer himself could seem to care less.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011, 06:01:49 AM »

Think you're all overreacting a bit.

This is Brian's first tour in a year, I would think he needs a little time to get into the motions

Good call -  he has taken a while to warm up in the past -  by the time her reaches the UK in September he should be at his usual peak!

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx