gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 06:32:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THEY COME ON LIKE-!  (Read 5300 times)
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2011, 11:50:42 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJpj_EgrIiQ

(round 5:25)
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 02:04:33 AM »

Mikes vocal attempts on the verse of I Know There's An Answer!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:43:37 PM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 03:23:47 AM »

Brian was trying something that didn't work, is all. Plus, you're hearing Mike's vocal in isolation, unprocessed: Brian's solo lead on "YSBIM" isn't pristine.

Also, does he sound like someone really pissed off with the lyrics ?  Or pissed at all ? Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 04:44:57 AM »

Need to sample him saying 'That's a bass, mudderfudder' if i ever foray into dubstep Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 04:46:59 AM »

Shelve waterboarding completely-they want answers from the guys at Gitmo?? Myke's unprocessed vocals for Caroline,No, Don't Talk or God Only Knows  should get it done. Shocked
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:24:52 AM »

Has anyone transcribed all the talking in the backgrounds?
I try and try, but can't hear everything that's said, and it seems it would be cool to know what Brian was saying.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:40:23 AM »

Has anyone transcribed all the talking in the backgrounds?
I try and try, but can't hear everything that's said, and it seems it would be cool to know what Brian was saying.

He's just playing the producer, telling Mike to do this, do that, try this...

Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »

actually sounds pretty good, didn't know mike had that kind of voice in him. sounds a lot like brian actually.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 10:04:21 AM »

Also, does he sound like someone really pissed off with the lyrics ?  Or pissed at all ? Roll Eyes

Curious about this, has it been said/written that it was Mike that wanted the lyrics/name of the song changed? I honestly don't remember what the deal was. He sounds like he was having a regular ol time...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 10:33:20 AM »

Curious about this, has it been said/written that it was Mike that wanted the lyrics/name of the song changed? I honestly don't remember what the deal was. He sounds like he was having a regular ol time...

Allegedly, he wouldn't sing the "hang on to your ego" lyric and demanded it be changed.

Allegedly.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 11:02:06 AM »

After that, I found this, an alternate "We're Together Again", well ,the track is alternate with the familiar vocal 'fan-dubbed' on. Can anyone shed any light on this backing track, sounds pretty good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdzDdcQCKy0&feature=related
Jason
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »

That "country" version of WTA is pretty good. All it lacked was a lead vocal.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 12:56:35 PM »

Anyone else digging the ML brand of humor here?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »

Allegedly, he wouldn't sing the "hang on to your ego" lyric and demanded it be changed.

Allegedly.

With some of those allegations coming from Mike Love himself.

From Mike's interview in Goldmine, Sept. 18, 1992...

That brings up the song "Hang On To Your Ego," which was going to be on Pet Sounds.

That used to be "Hang On To Your Ego" and then it became "I Know There's An Answer." I changed the lyrics because I thought it was too acid for me. That was those guys doing acid, Van Dyke Parks, and Brian and Tony Asher.

http://troun.tripod.com/mikelove.html
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »

After that, I found this, an alternate "We're Together Again", well ,the track is alternate with the familiar vocal 'fan-dubbed' on. Can anyone shed any light on this backing track, sounds pretty good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdzDdcQCKy0&feature=related

Nice. I could see that being the final product.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »

You know what? I'd still rather hear bad Mike singing than a lot of today's good singing.  Roll Eyes
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 04:31:42 PM »

Yep. Mike sounds really good here. Very Wilson-y and Jardine-y in his way. Too bad he didn't sing like this on record more often.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 04:36:24 PM »

I'm not Mikes biggest fan ,but i must admit some of his humor on this recording cracked me up!

"The ocean scares me."
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 04:46:42 PM »

At the beginning of the recording it sounds like Brian is pissed about something,but i'm pretty sure he's  enthusiastically saying "We're fucken off"  
 It's also interesting, near the end of the recording when Mike has finished his part, Al comes to the microphone and pops down his "Milk crate"- he often used -to stand on, because he was to short to reach the mic.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:30:02 PM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"The ocean scares me."
oldsurferdude
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 06:31:27 PM »

Allegedly.

With some of those allegations coming from Mike Love himself.

From Mike's interview in Goldmine, Sept. 18, 1992...

That brings up the song "Hang On To Your Ego," which was going to be on Pet Sounds.

That used to be "Hang On To Your Ego" and then it became "I Know There's An Answer." I changed the lyrics because I thought it was too acid for me. That was those guys doing acid, Van Dyke Parks, and Brian and Tony Asher.

http://troun.tripod.com/mikelove.html
ACID Head Spin Head Spin Head Spin Head Spin Head Spin Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked(dftt)
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 06:56:56 PM »

Yep. Mike sounds really good here. Very Wilson-y and Jardine-y in his way. Too bad he didn't sing like this on record more often.

Agreed - he could sing really well when he wanted to ("well" meaning like a singer who doesn't sound like their nose is being pinched).  Not sure why he thought nasal was the way to go as opposed to this approach.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 08:44:06 PM »

Unfortunately I've voluntarily deleted this and several other videos due to apparent copyright infringements, after warnings by Youtube & Brother records.
Sorry about that guys!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:20:05 PM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"The ocean scares me."
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 10:31:55 PM »

Unfortunately I've volutarily deleted this and several other videos due to apparent copyright infringements, after warnings by Youtube & Brother records.
Sorry about that guys!!

That simply means you should transfer them to cds/dvds and sell them on ebay as "yugoslavian" or "east european". Nobody really knows what was legitimately released there.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 10:33:59 PM »

At the beginning of the recording it sounds like Brian is pissed about something,but i'm pretty sure he's  enthusiastically saying "We're fucken off"  
 It's also interesting, near the end of the recording when Mike has finished his part, Al comes to the microphone and pops down his "Milk crate"- he often used -to stand on, because he was to short to reach the mic.

It wasn't so much that he couldn't reach the mic, but they'd have a better blend if his voice were as level to the mic's capsule as the taller members of the band when they stood around it. You also don't really get to see how close or far away they were from the mic in most of the staged photos we've seen: They'd step back or move closer depending on the blend they wanted and balance themselves naturally.

Microphone placement = Lost art in the studio in 2011.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 03:17:36 AM »

Agreed - he could sing really well when he wanted to ("well" meaning like a singer who doesn't sound like their nose is being pinched).  Not sure why he thought nasal was the way to go as opposed to this approach.

Maybe the producer chose the approach.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx