-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:19:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The "War on Drugs" a failure?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "War on Drugs" a failure?  (Read 3390 times)
Jason
« on: June 02, 2011, 11:29:17 AM »

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2011/06/201162133345452496.html

Think about it. Do the math.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:39:01 PM »

I could have told them it was a failure without having to do any surveys.  Cool Guy

Use the money spent arresting and locking up addicts on drug education. I think the biggest flaw is that we're taught "don't do drugs," not why we shouldn't. They need to bring addicts into schools and let the children see firsthand what drug use can do to you.

I spent probably 2/3s of my time in school thinking that pot was as bad as heroin and crack because that's what I was taught. Did a little "experimenting" in the 10th grade with that little green plant and realized "holy sh*t, I've been misled and lied to my entire life!" Still haven't moved onto the harder stuff yet. But according to what I've been taught, I should have a pretty sweet opiate addiction coming my way.

No mas, por favor.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:18:41 PM »

I could have told them it was a failure without having to do any surveys.  Cool Guy

Use the money spent arresting and locking up addicts on drug education. I think the biggest flaw is that we're taught "don't do drugs," not why we shouldn't. They need to bring addicts into schools and let the children see firsthand what drug use can do to you.

I spent probably 2/3s of my time in school thinking that pot was as bad as heroin and crack because that's what I was taught. Did a little "experimenting" in the 10th grade with that little green plant and realized "holy merda, I've been misled and lied to my entire life!" Still haven't moved onto the harder stuff yet. But according to what I've been taught, I should have a pretty sweet opiate addiction coming my way.

I have never gotten how marijuana is a gateway drug. From my experience alcohol is a far greater gateway drug than marijuana....far far greater.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:12:13 PM »

prohibition of any kind is always, everywhere a failure, in every way, for everyone involved (not including those things covered in the non-aggression principal).

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:07:37 PM »

I can't imagine this thread leading to much other than general agreement: the war on drugs was obviously a failure, and I think obviously (though I suppose a person could argue this) ridiculous. Regarding the gateway drug concept: I think it's true, kind-of ... but not limited to marijuana. Sure, a person who smokes weed might move on to harder drugs. But as rab2591 rightly says, the exact same idea applies to alcohol. Or nicotine. Or anything else. Anything can lead to a person thinking it is worth trying the next thing down the line. People push limits, be they laws, societal norms, or just their own comfort zones. That's just life. No war on drugs could ever stop that. (And the absurd cost and misplaced energy that went into it...sheesh.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »

For about 5 to 8% of the population, genetic predisposition plus environmental exposure leads to chemical dependence. From treating well over 1000 chemically dependent people...I think that exposure to ANY mood altering chemical at from 12 to 15 places those who are predisposed to potential dependence.

I think there is no question that we have used prison to create greater and more creative criminals who are chemically dependent. That said...one pass through treatment is not always the answer...often because chemical dependence is a condition caused by alteration of the brain`s neurochemistry. People with chemical dependence may go through treatment more than once before they finally stop. It is complicated, and we have wasted a whole generation and part of another one through incarcerTion insteAd of treating what is in essence a chronic imbalance in brain neurochemistry.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:37:31 PM by Peter Reum » Logged

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 10:19:40 PM »

I can't imagine this thread leading to much other than general agreement: the war on drugs was obviously a failure

Well, I might suggest in fact that it was quite successful in containing a large portion of the population whose uncontained presence confront us with the failure of the economic system in general. In doing so, it frightens the rest of the population sufficiently so that they fall into line without making waves. In that sense, the policy achieved its desired effects.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 11:00:54 PM »

I can't imagine this thread leading to much other than general agreement: the war on drugs was obviously a failure

Well, I might suggest in fact that it was quite successful in containing a large portion of the population whose uncontained presence confront us with the failure of the economic system in general. In doing so, it frightens the rest of the population sufficiently so that they fall into line without making waves. In that sense, the policy achieved its desired effects.

Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:59:37 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCDnR6Px-co&feature=related

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 05:38:13 PM »

Let me rephrase: if the war on drugs is to be taken at face value, it's obviously a failure.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: