gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:43:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting new Mike interview, with new release date  (Read 26799 times)
Jason
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 12:06:12 PM »

My insider info only mentioned that Brian and Mike got together and recorded Do It Again (again) but did not mention any other Beach Boys (Al, Bruce, or David).  Are you saying you have definitive info saying all surviving BBs were present?  I understand that some session musicians were used (seems odd to me that Mike or Brian's bandmembers were not used or used exclusively) for this new version.

I welcome someone else's better insider info to beat up my insider info with many more details...  

I can categorically state that no dead Beach Boys were present.

However, all the California/Nevada residents were.

No seances? Damn. One more shot at harmony...
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 12:17:36 PM »

Two things that made me cringe;

1. About working together again,  'I can only say that I’d be open to it and it could be fun, fun, fun.”

2. He still calls John Stamos, 'America's Favorite Uncle'. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 12:32:22 PM »

1. About working together again,  'I can only say that I’d be open to it and it could be fun, fun, fun.”

I never even gave either quote a second thought. Typical Mike interview fodder.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jason
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 12:33:17 PM »

He has big competition in James Avery.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 12:48:42 PM »

“I think people will listen to it, and some will get their mind’s blown and others will think it’s too far out there for them,” Love said

f*** bro, the only two assholes that think this is too far out for them is you and bruce.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
oldsurferdude
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 12:52:10 PM »

“I think people will listen to it, and some will get their mind’s blown and others will think it’s too far out there for them,” Love said

foder bro, the only two buttholes that think this is too far out for them is you and bruce.
Thumbs Up
Jason
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 12:56:01 PM »

foder bro, the only two buttholes that think this is too far out for them is you and bruce.
Thumbs Up

Proof positive that the two of you are somewhat lacking mentally...Bruce has been a constant supporter of that era. I think the only BB stuff he speaks out more highly about are Pet Sounds and Smiley Smile.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 01:00:29 PM »

Proof positive that the two of you are somewhat lacking mentally...Bruce has been a constant supporter of that era. I think the only BB stuff he speaks out more highly about are Pet Sounds and Smiley Smile.

I don't have the evidence in front of me, but I feel as if Bruce said that Smile had brilliant fragments but all they were were fragments, which should be surprising to anyone who has heard a song like Wonderful.

Also, isn't Sunflower his favourite BB album?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 01:14:26 PM »

I don't have the evidence in front of me, but I feel as if Bruce said that Smile had brilliant fragments but all they were were fragments, which should be surprising to anyone who has heard a song like Wonderful.

When in the studio recording, fragments were most of what the band heard and sang to. So, Bruce using the term "fragment" doesn't surprise me at all.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:15:29 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 01:18:47 PM »

When in the studio recording, fragments were most of what the band heard and sang to. So, Bruce using the term "fragment" doesn't surprise me at all.

Yes, well, Bruce was still making comments like this in 1998 well after many of the fundamental Smile tracks had been officially released. Are we meant to believe that Bruce is a staunch supporter of the era but has not listened to the music despite ample opportunity to do so?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »

I won't get fooled again  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 01:39:24 PM »

I have never heard or read where Bruce knocked Smile. I suppose you expect him to fawn over it and piss his pants every time he speaks of it? As far as I know, Dennis is the only band member who really ever trumped up Smile in the press. Even Brian doesn't speak of or support the Smile material like you think Bruce should.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »

I have never heard or read where Bruce knocked Smile. I suppose you expect him to fawn over it and piss his pants every time he speaks of it? As far as I know, Dennis is the only band member who really ever trumped up Smile in the press. Even Brian doesn't speak of or support the Smile material like you think Bruce should.

This should be easy -- please provide one single quotation from me where I have stated anything about how Bruce "should" be reacting to the material. Once you fail to do that, since you won't find one because I've never said anything remotely close to that, you can own up to the fact that your post was just an act of a lot of smoke being blown.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:53:15 PM by rockandroll » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 01:48:33 PM »

This should be easy -- please provide one single quotation from me where I have stated anything about how Bruce "should" be reaction to the material. Once you fail to do that, since you won't find one because I've never said anything remotely close to that, you can own up to the fact that your post was just an act of a lot of smoke being blown.
Here you go: "Bruce was still making comments like this in 1998 well after many of the fundamental Smile tracks had been officially released. Are we meant to believe that Bruce is a staunch supporter of the era but has not listened to the music despite ample opportunity to do so?" Your own quote.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 01:52:38 PM »

This should be easy -- please provide one single quotation from me where I have stated anything about how Bruce "should" be reaction to the material. Once you fail to do that, since you won't find one because I've never said anything remotely close to that, you can own up to the fact that your post was just an act of a lot of smoke being blown.
Here you go: "Bruce was still making comments like this in 1998 well after many of the fundamental Smile tracks had been officially released. Are we meant to believe that Bruce is a staunch supporter of the era but has not listened to the music despite ample opportunity to do so?" Your own quote.

Right - and anyone who can read can see that nowhere in there am I suggesting what Bruce's reactions to the material should be.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 02:19:10 PM »

Right - and anyone who can read can see that nowhere in there am I suggesting what Bruce's reactions to the material should be.

I can...

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 02:25:37 PM »

I can't - rocknroll is merely suggesting that Bruce see the material as more than 'fragments'. These were complete songs, for the most part.

Bruce & Al, who also uses the term, can be understood. I mean, the majority of vocal work on Smile is found on chants, fades, and etc...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 02:31:13 PM »

I can't - rocknroll is merely suggesting that Bruce see the material as more than 'fragments'.

I appreciate the support hypehat!

Just to qualify, I am not making any demands on Bruce. He can think whatever he wants about the music. I am merely calling into question that assertion that he has been a constant supporter of the era. As drbeachboy noted before flying off into a tantrum, Bruce's own knowledge about the music is limited at best. Am I suggesting anywhere here that it should or should not be limited? No. But if he is going to have that kind of understanding of the knowledge, then it's difficult to say he's been a constant supporter of the era.

But maybe there are quotes that I am unaware of.
Jason
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 02:47:03 PM »

"The Smile album had the brilliant little track sections that he never connected. And then he abandoned Smile." - Bruce Johnston, 1998

"Brilliant little music bites." - Bruce Johnston, 1998

These are two off of the top of my head. There are others that I will track down and post. But I think that damning Bruce for seeing the album merely as fragments is a criticism that should be leveled at all of the group, including Brian, as even to him the album was a pile of bricks that he couldn't bring himself to assemble.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 02:50:14 PM »

I say it's spinach, and I say the hell with it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 02:52:52 PM »

I appreciate the support hypehat!

Just to qualify, I am not making any demands on Bruce. He can think whatever he wants about the music. I am merely calling into question that assertion that he has been a constant supporter of the era. As drbeachboy noted before flying off into a tantrum, Bruce's own knowledge about the music is limited at best. Am I suggesting anywhere here that it should or should not be limited? No. But if he is going to have that kind of understanding of the knowledge, then it's difficult to say he's been a constant supporter of the era.

But maybe there are quotes that I am unaware of.

To clarify my point of view, from what I've understood by reading your posts, you're suggesting what Bruce's reactions to the material should be "if he were a real fan". And by the way I'm not criticizing you or your posts, this is just an observation.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »

Thumbs Up

He may have thrown out little nuggets here and there that what he thought Brian was doing at the time was "brilliant" but I am pretty sure (ok, not 100% sure) that he's also thrown out words to press that is very similar to Mike's assessment.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »

To clarify my point of view, from what I've understood by reading your posts, you're suggesting what Bruce's reactions to the material should be "if he were a real fan".

Well, I have now stated outright that I don't care what Bruce thinks about Smile either way that is completely consistent with everything else I've said in this thread so far. I have not once here even remotely critiqued Bruce's position on the album nor have I talked about what my own position is. Consequently, your conclusion makes no sense to me. But just to clear things up, I again couldn't care less what Bruce thinks about Smile. He could hate it or love it for all I care. Second, whatever his position is, it wouldn't allow me to make any statements about "real fandom" because, third, I don't believe terms like "real fan" hold any weight at all.  Again, though, this is completely consistent with what I've said here, since I haven't suggested otherwise.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2011, 03:15:33 PM »

As drbeachboy noted before flying off into a tantrum, Bruce's own knowledge about the music is limited at best.

That's about one of the dumbest things I've heard anyone say here. He was at a helluva lot more of the sessions than we were: he's heard more Smile music than we could ever dream of. He's twice listened to the tapes for possible inclusion on albums.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2011, 03:16:39 PM »

"The Smile album had the brilliant little track sections that he never connected. And then he abandoned Smile." - Bruce Johnston, 1998

"Brilliant little music bites." - Bruce Johnston, 1998

These are two off of the top of my head. There are others that I will track down and post. But I think that damning Bruce for seeing the album merely as fragments is a criticism that should be leveled at all of the group, including Brian, as even to him the album was a pile of bricks that he couldn't bring himself to assemble.

I seem to remember something about them being brilliant fragments but just fragments but like I said earlier I don't have the quotes on me.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx