gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:47:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could someone help me learn the chords used in this song?  (Read 1271 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2011, 03:01:05 PM »

I suppose the question I am going to task here could be very annoying but I don't know where else to go for an answer.  Below is a link to the trailer for the movie "One Day."  I am blown away by the music from the 1:40-2:09 mark in the trailer.  I play guitar and this is not guitar music.  Could someone listen and give me the guitar chords I would need to play to match this section of the song?  If this is something really complicated I understand if no one wants to take on the task.  However, if it is "easy" then I would greatly appreciate the help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oPo4XdeSL4Q

Thanks,

mypetsounds

OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 04:34:43 PM »

||: G11 / G / | G / / / | Em13 / Em / | Em / Em13 / | Am / / / | Am / Am9 / | D / D6 / | D7 / D / :|| G resolves it

the 11 in the G chord is the note "C" - second string 1st fret
the 13 in the Em is the same note played on the same fret...
basically play the G and Em chords with the C note added on the first two beats of the measure and lift off the last two beats of the measure, but you need to push the beat coming off the 11 and 13 chord... the change happens on the "and of" the second beat.

The Am9 is lifting finger off first fret C into the open B string before moving to the D
D6 is open B string - D7 first fret C note...

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 02:09:55 PM »

||: G11 / G / | G / / / | Em13 / Em / | Em / Em13 / | Am / / / | Am / Am9 / | D / D6 / | D7 / D / :|| G resolves it

Wow, thank you, I wasn't expecting an answer at all, much less one this quickly.  Did you do that by ear?  If so, I am jealous.  In fact, I am jealous either way.  Does it come naturally for you or did it require years of training?

Would you mind explaining the "|" and "/" and ":" notation to me?  Is it the bars/measures, the strumming pattern, something else?

It sounds great, btw, so thanks a lot.  I'll write my own melody but I plan to steal the progression.

mps

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:12:08 PM by mypetsounds » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 02:39:23 PM »

The | is a bar line to separate measures. The / indicates the repetition of the same chord. The ||: and :|| indicate (in reverse order) to repeat something when you get to the :|| and where the section to repeat begins with the ||:

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:55:22 PM »

You're Welcome. It took maybe 5 minutes... did it by ear with the help of a bass. Glad to help. Don't be jealous, just practice and use your ears and you will get there... practice practice practice and listen. The chord progression is a tried and true one.  I should have put the 4/4 in front actually.... 4 beats per measure and each beat is a quarter note.

The "/" or the chord is placed on a beat in the measure. If it was in 3 you would see 3/4 | G / / | / / / |
The "|" is used to create measures.
The "||" designates a section beginning or ending and putting the ":" in there means "repeat"
Luther has it right.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:57:26 PM by OBLiO » Logged

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx