-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:16:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Beach Boy clothing
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beach Boy clothing  (Read 15337 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2011, 05:59:05 AM »

after looking at the vintage pictures of the band for a while, i have a simple question. Does anybody know any websites or stores that sell clothing like Brian's SMiLE era wardrobe of striped t-shirts and the rest of the cool clothing seen in those pictures? 

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:07:13 AM »

Personally I'm looking for white & blue candy-striped short-sleeved shirts like the ones the BB were wearing in 1963-1967. Incredibly hard to find.  Undecided

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »

I'm kinda looking for those too actually, i heard a beach boys cover band got the rights to only use the striped shirts and the band is called the beach toys. right now I only have the pendleton shirt, which is cool as merda by the way.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:29:08 AM by briansbathrobe » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:21:57 PM »

I think i'm gonna employ a local tailor to make me that native-American-esque shirt that Brian wore for those Pet Sounds photoshoots. There is nothing i'd like more in my wardrobe....i'm really considering it actually.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 12:51:28 PM »

I used my Christmas money to buy the BB special (limited? don't remember) edition Pendleton shirt and I love the hell out of it. Perfect for the weather this time of the year.

I'd love to update my wardrobe with some of the stuff the guys wore after the early 60s though. Those Wilson brothers know how to dress.  Cool Guy

As for the original post, your best bet is probably to search through as many thrift stores as you can find. It's hard to seek out vintage clothes like that unless you know where to look. And I don't.  Embarrassed

No mas, por favor.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »

Thanks, I like looking for these clothes at thrift stores and ebay because that stuff is way cheaper then urban outfitters' overpriced clothing.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »

Back in the day I could walk into a thrift store and find good vintage clothing...it seems nowadays it is all gone....Maybe it's just my area, though. I have been looking for a bright orange leisure suit for AGES now, and still haven't come across one....arrg.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »

my dream store would have all the clothes the beach boys wore offstage 1961-1968.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 09:08:49 PM »

Let's start an online clothing shop called The Radiant Tie-Clip - Our goal is to clothe the entire world in vintage Beach Boy clothing...and then we'll have world peace. Grin
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 09:09:45 PM by rab2591 » Logged

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »

I'd try American Apparel for the striped tees, ebay for the sta-prest Levis and any Vans retailer for the sneakers.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »

the radiant tie-clip would be a great idea Grin I will also check american apparel because they usually have good stuff.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:12:57 AM by briansbathrobe » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 05:03:48 PM »

Can't find t-shirts like this one Brian's wearing anywhere.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:32:04 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »

You don't want that. It's a pretty dated looking for a t-shirt.  Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 05:33:27 PM »

You don't want that. It's a pretty dated looking for a t-shirt.  Cool Guy
Even the red one in the shirt pictures I just posted?   Grin

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:35:27 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 05:41:19 PM »

I was joking! T-shirts never go out of style! NEVAR! I quite like the red one. Would wear it.

Would love to stumble across a forgotten storage locker of Brian's full of old clothes....

No mas, por favor.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 05:46:57 PM »

I was joking! T-shirts never go out of style! NEVAR! I quite like the red one. Would wear it.

Would love to stumble across a forgotten storage locker of Brian's full of old clothes....
There is a radio interview from the late 1980s where Brian says he did still have all his old SMiLE era clothing in storage. Still wondering why indie clothing labels have missed the awesome designs worn back in the day.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 01:03:07 AM »

Personally I'm looking for white & blue candy-striped short-sleeved shirts like the ones the BB were wearing in 1963-1967. Incredibly hard to find.  Undecided

I have one of these! I inexplicably bought one before I was a fan, but as I was so crap at gauging sizes it fits the 20 year old me better than the 13 year old. It's made by Ben Sherman.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
ghost
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 08:04:10 AM »

Radiantly Ravishing.

Gold turbans now on sale! Robes half-price!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 10:38:44 AM »

I have one of these! I inexplicably bought one before I was a fan, but as I was so crap at gauging sizes it fits the 20 year old me better than the 13 year old. It's made by Ben Sherman.
If they have a reunion, they need to wear the striped shirts one last time, nevermind about the tight pants.

ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 07:37:43 PM »

I can NOT believe how impossible it is to find these!!! I fruitlessly scoured the internet a couple Halloweens ago for these. The only one I could find was being sold by Urban Outfitters for like $90.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 11:14:13 PM »

I can NOT believe how impossible it is to find these!!! I fruitlessly scoured the internet a couple Halloweens ago for these. The only one I could find was being sold by Urban Outfitters for like $90.

If I remember correctly some tribute band has some sort of copyright and/or monopoly on the legit looking ones .Or I'm crazy. Why would a cover band be the only people allowed to wear a shirt?

No mas, por favor.
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 10:06:09 PM »

If I remember correctly some tribute band has some sort of copyright and/or monopoly on the legit looking ones .Or I'm crazy. Why would a cover band be the only people allowed to wear a shirt?

Yeah.... I don't know how that would work but having just completed another failed search for these, I wouldn't rule anything out. These shirts are straight-up extinct.
dumbangel76
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 07:53:31 PM »

They have blue candy striped shirts at the Target near my home. They are thin striped but nonetheless they are there!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 01:33:40 AM »

They have blue candy striped shirts at the Target near my home. They are thin striped but nonetheless they are there!

Thin-striped ones can be found relatively easily. Wide-striped ones like the ones the 'Boys wore in 1965 are impossible to find, and they're the ones I'm looking for...  Undecided

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
GreatUrduPoet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 09:49:58 AM »

I have a nice-condition pair of genuine Levis brand men's white straight-leg jeans like the Boys wore in the
early-to-mid 60s (the real deal...not those 70s corduroys that usually turn up on Ebay). If you have a band
and need authentic stage gear PM me. I'd keep 'em myself, but they're a 29W 32L and I got fatter and
taller with age.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: