gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:29:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Our Prayer / Gee / Heroes And Villains - Acapella cover  (Read 2506 times)
robertgotshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2011, 05:38:31 PM »

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI2EyfF3kQQ

Finally got this one done. Seeing as how the songs are already largely acapella as it is, I figured this would be simple. That. Was. Not. The. Case.
Anyway, I thought there should be something to look at so I added all of those videos. They're mostly just a representation of what I did. Still, it was fun.

Enjoy and let me know what you think! I'm eager to hear what actual Beach Boys fans have to say.

*Thanks to dmcguire for his video on YouTube showing all of the separate harmonies to "Our Prayer". Without it, I would have had to figure out the harmonies on my own, and subsequently gone insane.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:42:17 AM by robertgotshall » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 05:24:47 AM »

Cracking stuff!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
robertgotshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 02:13:06 PM »

Thank you, sir!
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »

Unbelievably good. Nice work.

Any ambitions of doing the full BWPS? I'm sure lots of us would love to hear that.

Your painstaking, loving tribute brought to mind two other similarly impressive efforts. Check these out if you get a chance:

First, a duo called Polly Tones did a near-a capella version of BWPS, just a single guitar, voices, and the occassional noisemaker. Great stuff. They seem to have taken it down off of youtube... I can't find it anywhere. But if you can find it, it's worth the search.

Secondly, Petra Haden did an capella take on The Who Sell Out knocks my socks off. Not sure if you're a fan of that album; if not I highly recommend it. The Who's finest hour. Anyway, here's a live clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNFoNBz9Dbs

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 10:02:48 PM »

Nice work Robert. Thoroughly enjoyable.  Afro
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 12:47:25 AM »

Very, very nice job. Especially loved the little touches, like the selective double tracking of certain lines, or the way you sang the percussion and horn parts.
robertgotshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 04:49:34 AM »

Wow, thank you so much for the great comments everyone! It took a lot of work to do this but it was a labor of love and I'm glad you all enjoyed it.

@Catbirdman, I've considered possibly doing the rest of BWPS, though I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it at the moment. It seems like a pretty daunting task. For now, I want to focus on some other things, including an original song I've been working on. It is a possibility, though.

I have searched high and low for the Polly Tones cover of SMiLE to no avail. It's a shame because I've heard such good things and I would love to hear it.

I'm not familiar with The Who Sells Out, but it sounds like something I could get into. Once I'm familiar with the album, I'll try to check out the Petra Haden cover. It looks fantastic from that youtube clip.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 03:03:52 PM »

Fantastic!  Love the video so far too.

Thanks for posting.

OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 07:32:12 PM »

Good work... you used an SM57 too. Fun stuff.

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 09:13:21 PM »

@Catbirdman, I've considered possibly doing the rest of BWPS, though I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it at the moment. It seems like a pretty daunting task. For now, I want to focus on some other things, including an original song I've been working on. It is a possibility, though.

Good for you, bro. You gotta work on your own sh*t first. I would really love to hear any of your original material when/if you're comfortable posting it.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 09:05:44 PM »

Great job Robert, all the work you put into it really showed!  I'm with the others in wanting to hear more, either from BWPS or any originals you might have.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »

Fantastic Stuff!

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 02:21:22 PM »

Some BB fans just have too much time on their hands...  Cheesy

Very impressive.

gfx