gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:22:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Recording: Guilty Too  (Read 2119 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2011, 07:55:09 PM »

The following link is to an mp3 of a first-pass rough mix of my new recording, largely done today (and a little the other day...I forget which. Sunday? And drums from Adam Marsland last month.), "Guilty Too." I am positive this will be mixed more carefully later, in that this is literally just setting some relative levels and letting it go, no automation, very little editing out of dead air, etc. But I was getting excited as I got near the finish line, so I wanted to post it. Love to hear what you think. http://www.sendspace.com/file/wxz11d

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »

I like this one. You pop em out like an assembly line. every two days you have another one.

This one reminds me of a lot of things, Kinks, Beach Boys, it sounds a bit like one guy overdubbing
everything as opposed to a band playing it in a room.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »

You pop em out like an assembly line...it sounds a bit like one guy overdubbing
Glad you liked it. And it is like an assembly line, in a way. It isone guy overdubbing. But I am a believer in just churning out songs. The (warhol-inspired) Lou Reed idea of "just work" makes more sense to me than anything else. It doesn't matter. So, ... songs. Kazam!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

louielouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Have you ever been on an airplane?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 07:21:38 PM »

You pop em out like an assembly line...it sounds a bit like one guy overdubbing
Glad you liked it. And it is like an assembly line, in a way. It isone guy overdubbing. But I am a believer in just churning out songs. The (warhol-inspired) Lou Reed idea of "just work" makes more sense to me than anything else. It doesn't matter. So, ... songs. Kazam!

Nice!, It sounds like a clever mix of powerpop and the early seventies Beach Boys,  the drums in the bridge has the Wilson trademark.  Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 09:26:14 AM »

Just in case anyone might want to hear it in "final" version (not that I can promise I won't come back to it), this has some little recording touches (aux perc) and mixing done to it. Brought out the piano and lead vocal in the refrain, brought down overall and additionally the bass and drum volume in the pre-chorus, more reverb on bg vox, etc. But I am especially bad (and lazy) at the latter as Ive said before, so it still sounds every bit as amateurish as always.  Grin  Anyway, this is the mp3 (but if you listened before, it's not especially earth shattering, no reason to download unless you happen to actually want it). http://www.sendspace.com/file/tbm4et

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »

Luther, I listened to this and Wast Not, Want.  Waste Not is not my thing but I do like this one.  I'd love to comment more thoroughly, but I lack the vocabulary (not to mention the ear).  Def has the Beach Boys sound going on, which is probably part of what draws me to it.

Thanks,

mypetsounds

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate that. Glad you liked it.

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 10:46:36 PM »

Nice work, Luther.  I esp. like the change in the pre-chorus, and the full sound on the chorus.  Love the sitar(?) on the verse.  Wish the lead vocal was less muddy or mixed higher?, it's a bit hard to make out the lyrics. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:27:27 AM »

Nice work, Luther.  I esp. like the change in the pre-chorus, and the full sound on the chorus.
Thanks very much! 
Love the sitar(?) on the verse.
Banjo, actually, though I definitely had an eastern, sitar-ish line in mind.
Wish the lead vocal was less muddy or mixed higher?, it's a bit hard to make out the lyrics. 
Fair enough. Me having a lisp probably doesn't help, either. (Nor do my shitty mixing skills combined with laziness in that area.)

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx