gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:46:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Upcoming BW interview in Village Voice (June 8)  (Read 35201 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »

I just isolated the left channel where Mike's vocal is loudest and I come no where close to duplicating the Mojo 45. I woiuld guess it is not a single track fold down in the true sense of the word.

Ummm... exactly how do you fold down a single isolated track ?  Wink

I think drbeachboy and myself are talking about two different things -- he seems to be talking about a single-channel "mono" track (deleting either the right or the left, and saving the result as a mono file), whereas what I'm talking about (traditionally called a "fold-down") is combining BOTH channels into one mono track. I've tried both, BTW, and can't come close to what I hear on the MOJO single.  Grin

Well, we know it's not a fold-down, at least in the verses, as Carl's lead isn't doubled. I think the Good Doctor is referring to what I'd call a hard pan. Fact is, if you OOPS the 1969 version, allowing for the lead - which we know is ADT - and a shitload of reverb, the rest is essentially mono... which inclines me to believe they didn't have the multis to work with in 1968, just a BW mono mix/edit (I know, someone's going to yell "comp reel" at he any moment: the same to you, I say... and anyway, maybe they didn't know of the existence of those comp reels in 1968). If so, rather knocks the 2011-remix-from-the-multis notion on the head, I'd say.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2011, 02:44:31 PM »

Well, we know it's not a fold-down, at least in the verses, as Carl's lead isn't doubled. I think the Good Doctor is referring to what I'd call a hard pan. Fact is, if you OOPS the 1969 version, allowing for the lead - which we know is ADT - and a shitload of reverb, the rest is essentially mono... which inclines me to believe they didn't have the multis to work with in 1968, just a BW mono mix/edit (I know, someone's going to yell "comp reel" at he any moment: the same to you, I say... and anyway, maybe they didn't know of the existence of those comp reels in 1968). If so, rather knocks the 2011-remix-from-the-multis notion on the head, I'd say.

You still haven't explained how Mike's "over and over" chorus pops out like a lead vocal, good sir...  Wink

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2011, 02:46:52 PM »

You still haven't explained how Mike's "over and over" chorus pops out like a lead vocal, good sir...  Wink

True, I haven't.

Yet...

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »

I agree that it is definitely not a fold down. It also does not sound like a straight hard pan, as I could not produce either Mike or Carl's vocals up like they are on the 45. I tried isolating both left and right channels and neither produced what is on the 45. I only used audacity and nothing professional, but ML must of altered the track or did a lot of futzing if he did do the hard panning of the stereo track.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:12:36 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2011, 05:07:37 PM »

pixletwin said:
Has anyone else had a conversation with someone who was utterly convinced that man has never landed on the moon, how Nostradamus' prophecies are real, or that Paul really is dead? This conversation reminds me of that.  LOL

I'll admit the idea of an album with the ability to prompt spiritual enlightenment is pretty far-fetched. And therefore, obviously, the idea that I subscribe to such notions (via the bio's lsd depictions) is equally out there.

So then, what does "a teenage symphony to God" mean to you?

Based upon popular opinion it means a jolly trip on a bicycle exploring how great America could be (and I'm the crazy one).

So then, what if the album actually did secretly reference the unconscious trip spiritual level & document the ultimate religious experience?

That would mean Brian was telling the truth about the "teenage symphony to God" and his spiritual direction and SMiLE being way beyond Spector.

Apparently, smarter people than myself know that Brian really didn't know what he was talking about.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2011, 05:14:28 PM »

...and all this time I thought VDP wrote the lyrics, and Brian the music. I mean, the idea that Parks could've came up with a thematic idea for the album, and Brian mentioned the idea in the press sounds too ludicrous to consider, huh?

Meh...at the rate things are going I probably won't be around for the album's release, and by this point I'm glad.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2011, 05:20:43 PM »

I'm sure much like his association with Tony Asher, Van Dyke wrote lyrics based on ideas presented by Brian. Unlike Asher, who wrote lyrics away from Brian, Van Dyke wrote alongside Brian. So, it is not inconceivable that he contributed to the musical compositions, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2011, 06:21:04 PM »

And Brian's comments about the lyrics "maybe they work, I don't know" in the Jules Siegel article illustrate that they (Brian & Van Dyke) are on the same experimental page. Brian then goes on to affirm his commitment to his "spiritual music."

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »

And Brian's comments about the lyrics "maybe they work, I don't know" in the Jules Siegel article illustrate that they (Brian & Van Dyke) are on the same experimental page.

...or having doubts, perhaps? Considering how close it was to Smile being cancelled, I have a strong feeling that may be the case.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2011, 06:37:33 PM »

If you're making an album about America you don't cash in the chips because you have a song about the Great Chicago Fire.

But if you're making an album that's gonna transmit your spiritual experience to unsuspecting listeners you might second guess your original concept along the way. You may even abandon it. You might even call it "inappropriate music to be making."

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2011, 11:53:42 PM »

So then, what if the album actually did secretly reference the unconscious trip spiritual level & document the ultimate religious experience?

Bill, given that we've all devoted no little item and effort considering your notions, try this one of mine on for size:

What if it doesn't ?

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2011, 12:08:21 AM »

Bill, given that we've all devoted no little item and effort considering your notions, try this one of mine on for size:

What if it doesn't ?

How about this for an outrageous, far fetched theory? Smile is just a pop/rock album. A great one from one of the top composers and producers of the era. No hidden key to the mysteries of the cosmos, just a fantastic, creative piece of work that fell at the final hurdle due to it's creator's lack of confidence and self inflicted impossibly high standards.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2011, 12:08:55 AM »

:D

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2011, 12:16:10 AM »

What if it doesn't ?

How about this for an outrageous, far fetched theory? Smile is just a pop/rock album. A great one from one of the top composers and producers of the era. No hidden key to the mysteries of the cosmos, just a fantastic, creative piece of work that fell at the final hurdle due to it's creator's lack of confidence and self inflicted impossibly high standards.
Thats the the truth of it!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2011, 12:36:16 AM »

What if it doesn't ?

Who let this crazed fool in here ? Security !

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2011, 03:39:32 AM »

Smile is just a pop/rock album.

No way.

Surely even the fact we are all debating this issue shows that there is more to it than"just" pop/rock music.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2011, 03:43:14 AM »

What if it doesn't ?

I guess you can't tell someone something he doesn't want to hear Smiley

I see Smile as being "psychedelic" music, and many psychedelic musicians have seen music as a route to spiritual enlightenment. Not just psychedelic musicians, what about John Coltrane? (not coincidentally doing it as the same time as Brian Wilson).
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2011, 07:38:23 AM »

If your post had sound and that sound could be translated as an image of Jean Luc Picard, it would look like this:

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: June 15, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »

No way.

Surely even the fact we are all debating this issue shows that there is more to it than"just" pop/rock music.

Not necessarily. You'd be surprised the platitudes laid on other albums by die hard fans...some of it puts the Smile worship to shame. At the end of the day, Smile is a pop/rock album (rather, WOULD have been), albeit an incredibly groundbreaking album.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 15, 2011, 08:51:40 AM »

I eagerly await the release of The Smile Sessions 1966-67 so we can move on to bigger and better things. Where's my mythical Argus Sessions 1971-72 release?!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 15, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »

I eagerly await the release of The Smile Sessions 1966-67 so we can move on to bigger and better things. Where's my mythical Argus Sessions 1971-72 release?!

Why would anyone want more than the 2007 Deluxe version?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 15, 2011, 09:22:47 AM »

No way.

The reason it's debated so much is because it was never released. And even if it had of been, the world would have still pretty much kept on turning the same as always.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2011, 10:09:46 AM »

No way.

The reason it's debated so much is because it was never released. And even if it had of been, the world would have still pretty much kept on turning the same as always.

Sweet Insanity wasn't released but it doesn't generate this kind or level of debate Smiley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2011, 10:45:58 AM »

No way.

Sweet Insanity wasn't released but it doesn't generate this kind or level of debate Smiley

True, but give Bill enough time and he may yet  furnish us with his theories on the deep philosophical leanings of "Smart Girls".

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2011, 10:58:56 AM »

Yeah, when he said "Smart Girls are AWESOME, DUDE", what he really was referring to was the plight of the defenders of the Alamo. The drum machine was a representation of Santa Anna's soldiers climbing the Alamo's walls.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx