gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 03:59:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Glimpses from a magical week, late September, 2004  (Read 6635 times)
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2011, 11:48:52 PM »

Responding to an AGD inquiry in another thread, I've decided to post some unique footage that I've been sitting on since September 26, 2004, the night of the SMiLE DVD concert recording in Burbank (you can read the background tale in the thread titled SOMEWHAT URGENT QUESTION). I'll be posting some short segments from time to time, so I thought I should start a new one here to make sure that you are all aware of it, if interested.

This is in gratitude for having spent so many hours in this joint with you all, watching so many of our BW dreams come true, one by one, witnessing the happy ending to this saga that we never expected. It's been a privilege along the way to learn from you. There was a time when I thought, well, no one else seems to care about this stuff as much as I do. Then I found this place...oh boy.

Back in 2004, I had a rare opportunity to witness up close what a marvelous support team he had behind him, all the winds pushing his sails in the right direction... Let me tell you, it was a love-fest every day that week, backstage, onstage, from the recording booth, from the director's chair, from the producer, from the camera crew, and finally from the audience, mostly made up of his family and friends and friends of friends. Standing right behind Van Dyke and Sally Parks dancing in the aisles during the Good Vibrations closer, when we were all losing our collective minds, chatting with David Anderle before the show about the painting, listening to Stephen Kalinich weep with joy and gratitude backstage after the first show, watching Melinda and the kids take it all in from the row in front of me... well, this was as close to the ending of It's a Wonderful Life for the SMiLE saga as I could imagine.

So here is some footage from the dress/camera crew rehearsal and insert sessions, from the top. Hope you enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/24103300
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:55:31 AM by PS » Logged
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:02:20 AM »

Awesome. It's really nice to hear what the band sounded like without the sweetening/mixing of the DVD... And most bands couldn't come close to this with all the software in the world LOL Thanks for sharing!  Cheesy

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:33:11 AM »

Superb, thanks! Looking forward to seeing more!

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:59:30 AM »

And a lovely Surfer Girl!

Interesting to see how at the end Scott seems to conduct the band by indicating to Jeff that he should conduct the band.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:04:41 AM by brother john » Logged

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 04:24:00 AM »

Wonderful footage, Phil. Thank you for sharing.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 09:33:08 AM »

Rock!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 10:42:34 AM »

It's so great Brian doesn't feel the need to smile like that anymore

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 11:17:50 AM »

Yeah, that is some next level rictus grin he's working on

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 11:28:11 AM »

I got no issues with Melinda but I can imagine she was brains behind the release of smile, and Brian's smile  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:45:38 AM »

As far as I could tell, this was Brian taking the directions from Maggie and John a bit too literally (they were really trying to keep him from that thousand yard stare when he was not singing, etc. I think he must have also had relatively new dentures put in, as others have speculated - he is constantly stretching and exercising his mouth). He was always trying to please, always accommodating to any direction (both musical and theatrical), as you'll see in some of the footage to come. But I do think the general bright and upbeat rethink and denuding of the darker side of SMiLE in the overall concept and design might have had something to do with the way they (or she) felt about the Leaf concert material. Everyone was trying to make it...safe.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 12:30:11 PM »

...I think he must have also had relatively new dentures put in, as others have speculated - he is constantly stretching and exercising his mouth).

This isn't really speculation. Brian himself told a reporter during the recording of the BWPS album (I think it was during the mixing stage) that he needed to leave for the dentist as he was having his entire mouth redone. This was probably only a couple of months prior to this September shoot. When I saw him in October, 2004, there were a few moments where he appeared to be bothered by this as well. I think it took him a while to get use to the dental work!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »

I don't doubt he wasn't into it, but it's a fairly big step and in order to enjoy it he needed encouragement and pushing. It must have scared him a lot, even from the logistical standpoint that it's really hard stuff to perform with his voice in it's condition, let alone given any significance Smile material has in his life. Very much like swimming, the water is freezing for five minutes and then it suddenly becomes palatable....
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:47:31 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »

Fellas, this footage is pure gold. It's SO reassuring to know that Brian really was ON during the filming of the concert, it's one of the crowning achievements of his solo career.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 04:10:40 PM »

Yeah, that is some next level rictus grin he's working on

Ha ha Smiley Can't stop laughing.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 07:28:41 AM »

I have posted some more footage from the rest of the first movement. Again, the DV shooting is somewhat awkward, often interrupted and encumbered by simply trying to keep my distance and not get in the way of the shoot, but I think you do get a slightly different perspective on what this band could do live, within a chamber setting with no artificial sweetening. I believe that Mark L really caught the essence of this performance with his very crisp and detailed 5.1 mix for this concert DVD, which ever so subtly highlights instruments and vocal parts in concert with the video editing, similar to the way classical music concerts are photographed and mixed - all serving to illustrate and illuminate, not just create artificial excitement (like McCartney's awful editors consistently do). The director, John Anderson, did a superb job, in my view, bringing BWPS to concert form. I never listen to the BWPS studio version any more, as it feels airless and lacks the dynamic that this music has when played live - who would have ever imagined that to be the case for SMiLE?

http://vimeo.com/24156727
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:32:36 AM by PS » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 08:43:20 AM »

Again, amazing!

Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »

Big thanks for posting this footage PS!  A joy to behold.  Whets the appetite for the Smile Sessions. I look forward to you posting more video.  Thanks again.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 12:52:03 PM »

It's so good to see this, thank you PS!

WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 01:52:43 PM »

That gave me chills!

Thanks for having the wherewithal to record it and post!
I'd have probably started recording the back of the chair in front of me about 2 minutes in.

Oh boy, looking forward to the show in August.

Thanks!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 05:38:04 PM »

That was freakin sweet      Cool

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
John B
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 06:42:49 PM »

Beautiful, thanks so much for sharing that!!
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 12:35:48 PM »

SMiLE, Second Movement, in your living room.

See my other SMiLE entries for background details and apologies for tech limitations and breaks - suffiice to say that I find this dress rehearsal/insert session for Surf's Up, arguably his greatest song, particularly moving, even in its occasionally wavering pitch - his intensity and sincerity - painfully-  invokes the original passion he must have felt in writing and singing those last, unforgettable passages...

http://vimeo.com/24281214
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:18:54 PM by PS » Logged
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 03:13:43 PM »

Quite moving.  Thank you, Sir, for posting this.
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 08:01:20 AM »

SMiLE, Second Movement, in your living room.

See my other SMiLE entries for background details and apologies for tech limitations and breaks - suffiice to say that I find this dress rehearsal/insert session for Surf's Up, arguably his greatest song, particularly moving, even in its occasionally wavering pitch - his intensity and sincerity - painfully-  invokes the original passion he must have felt in writing and singing those last, unforgettable passages...

http://vimeo.com/24281214

And it wasn't just Brian. Look at the faces of the rest of his band mates - watch Jim Hines doing his vocal parts; Taylor has never looked so focused; Nelson Bragg singing along off-mike to Wonderful; Probyn Gregory & Bob Lizik both SO intensely focused...

I can't find words to describe that band - amazing seems very inadequate. And Brian  - whew, simply otherworldly.

I noticed after the last note of that magnificent performance of Surf's Up there were no smiles - not from Brian, not from anyone in the band. They looked as if they were stunned by what they'd just done.

An amazing and very moving video - thank you so much for posting it.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 03:30:47 PM »

You are all most welcome. Jim, exactly right - what interests me now is looking at the periphery and noting how everyone is locked into the music. I miss that version of the band. Bob and Jim were staying at the same hotel that I was, so I got to talk to them quite a bit. Really fine professionals, with chops to spare. Couldn't be better bandmates.

This one has some issues with blank sections and some shootus interruptus, but this finishes out this mini-version of the set.

I'll post some backstage footage from before and after the first show that I think you'll find charming.

http://vimeo.com/24362207
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx