gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 03:27:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gershwin fan's song ends on a mysterious note  (Read 1378 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2011, 01:06:42 PM »

A composer fleshes out a melody he found on a wad of paper in his coat pocket.
Years later he recalls having removed the paper from George Gershwin's piano when he tuned it.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lost-gershwin-20110529,0,688726.story

(Very interesting article from today's LA Times.  If interested click on the link above; I'll just copy the brief mention of Brian, to keep this relevant to this page)

Leonore Gershwin died in 1991, eight years after Ira Gershwin's death. In 2009 Brian Wilson of Beach Boys fame was chosen to write the finishes to George Gershwin's incomplete music. His "Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin" album was released in mid-2010.

The Ira and Leonore Gershwin Trusts, which until this February operated a San Francisco archive containing some 15,000 musical scores, recordings, photos and other materials from the Gershwin brothers, has transferred those items to the Library of Congress.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 03:11:59 PM »

HeyEddie, that was a fascinating piece...thanks!

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 03:18:26 PM »

Yes, thanks for the link. Cool story, although it sounds kinda doubtful imo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:37:42 PM »

HeyEddie, that was a fascinating piece...thanks!

I've regretted not saying that "You're Welcome" when you've said about other articles I've posted recently, Peter.
Such a shame that we only meet here these days...  Hope something brings you to L.A. before too long...
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 07:46:55 PM »

Yes, thanks for the link. Cool story, although it sounds kinda doubtful imo

I agree, very cool if it's true, but the whole thing is pretty difficult to believe.  If I tuned Brian Wilson's piano and found some scribbled music on a piece of paper stuck inside, I doubt I would finish a composition based upon what I found, then somehow forget where I found it until years later.  That thing would be safe and on my wall somewhere in a hurry.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx