gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:31:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which albums have a perfect flow and/or have no filler at all?  (Read 20997 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2011, 09:07:56 AM »

I think the first album not to have any intentional filler is Pet Sounds. All of the albums from then until Holland I think the band members actually tried their best on (apart from Brian maybe). After that, you could argue that including songs from 1970 on Love You and 15BO constitutes filler. From MIU to BB85 I don't think there's anything too fillery (lots of bad songs though) but I think Al has been quoted as saying that Santa Ana Winds was seen to be just that. SC obviously has the oldies whilst SIP, despite its naffness, doesn't have any songs intended just to take up time I think.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2011, 09:25:16 AM »

SIP, despite its naffness, doesn't have any songs intended just to take up time I think.

I'll second that. In addition I also think SIP flows quite well (except for maybe one song that shall remain nameless). I actually enjoy SIP. Now, providing people aren't getting ready to brandish pitchforks and torches, I'll continue.

I think Holland is rather filler-less, but it's flow (to me) is compromised somewhat by Leaving This Town. Doesn't detract from the album though. Are we counting S&S? Oh I do wish more people would count S&S (seriously, torches away). Though in S&S's case it's not really so much about filler as the choice of songs.

I honestly don't think 20/20 has any filler and it flows well for me, variety is always nice.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »

SIP, despite its naffness, doesn't have any songs intended just to take up time I think.

Hmmmm. Does raise the interesting question as to what type of song could be classified as filler on an album that is basically shite from start to finish?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2011, 11:40:45 AM »

Hmmmm. Does raise the interesting question as to what type of song could be classified as filler on an album that is basically shite from start to finish?
Why does every single conversation here denigrate to this level of response?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »

I saw nothing wrong with that? It's hardly a controversial opinion to have!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2011, 02:17:38 PM »

Well, I did. We're talking flow and filler, and all he adds is his last five words. Those five words add absolutely nothing to the topic.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2011, 02:41:55 PM »

Pet Sounds
Friends
Sunflower
So Tough
Holland

Today - except Big Daddy session

Summer Days - except Then I Kissed Her and Bugged at my old Man

Wild Honey - except Mama Says

Surfs Up - except Take a Load off and Student Demo

Love You - except Ding Dang

LA Light - except Shortnin Bread

Keep the Summer Alive

I'm just wondering: Do you mean these LPs would flow perfectly without those songs, or that those songs are filler? 

I meant that they are filler. 20/20 is full of good songs, but it doesn't flow well. Summer in Paradise, 15 Big Ones, and BB85 all have a better flow. A flow of low quality. I should have also said TM on the Friends album.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2011, 02:51:35 PM »

Well, I did. We're talking flow and filler, and all he adds is his last five words. Those five words add absolutely nothing to the topic.

Sorry if I offended you Mr. Stamos.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2011, 03:01:08 PM »

Now THAT'S offensive  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »

What a dickwad! Stay on topic, thanks.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2011, 03:13:37 PM »

Wow, That's cool!  John Stamos is posting as drbeachboy ? 
Who else might be using a nom de plume here,  to say things for which they might otherwise be castized?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »

That's a tad harsh. I'd love to share your view on Summer In Paradise, but alas, I can't get my head that far up my backside.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:17:40 PM by Lemmy's wart » Logged

Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »

I had to take exception to some of this list - filler, no chance!

I count at least 66 filler tracks, just thru '73

Noble Surfer (The first true Beach Boys song)

The Rocking Surfer (That B3 bass line is the most fantastic thing ever recorded, what a vibe)

Ballad Of Ole'Betsy (Those harmonies)

Pom-Pom Play Girl (Contains some of the Greatest chord changes ever)

And Your Dream Comes True !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I know it's all about personal choice, but why are you even a fan?

I'm a music fan, and the Beach Boys made some of the best pop music ever.

But they also put out a lot of really bad music, and I don't think that being a fan of the good stuff requires being a fan of the bad stuff.
The thing is Jeff, for a lot of us, many of those bad music filler tracks are not bad at all. Actually, you even have a few 45 single songs on the list, and in the correct definition of filler, fail the test. I know that most of your list is your own opinion, but I feel bad for you that you must suffer through so much insufferable music. You must have wasted a considerable fortune when buying albums, with all that filler on them. Hopefully, the 45 will make a comeback. Wink

I think the only post-1962 A-side on my list is Bluebirds Over the Mountain.  I suppose you're right that it isn't really filler ... but IMO it's barely listenable except for the short tag.

No need to feel bad for me, because while all of the two-fers contain filler, most of them also contain a number of good songs.  I actually bought several of them twice (1990 version and then 2001 version), so I knew what I was getting the second time.

And of course, with the magic of CDRs, Squeezebox, etc., it's easy to create homemade comps that weed out the filler.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2011, 05:13:44 PM »

And, to be honest I hate to admit that I've tended to consider I'm Waiting For The Day and I Know There's an Answer on PS as filler, though, I guess in comparison to GOK, DT (PYHOMS), WIBN etc. its easy for them to seem inferior.

Hey Jeff, if you fancy compiling a list of filler tracks from post '73 I'd love to see it!  Smiley

Post-73 is a lot tougher for me, because IMO the band changed what it was trying to do.  Other than Love You and a few other interesting songs, they started going for the quick 'n easy hit like Rock and Roll Music, which I think is terrible, but reached No. 5.  And post-1980, it was more Beach Boys Tribute Band than Beach Boys, but you can't really call Kokomo filler.

As for what I like: Had to Phone Ya, Just Once in My Life, My Diane, Everybody Wants to Live, Baby Blue, Angel Come Home, Good Timin', Love Surrounds Me, the demos of It's Over Now and Still I Dream of It, and all of Love You except Love Is a Woman.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2011, 06:22:14 PM »

And, to be honest I hate to admit that I've tended to consider I'm Waiting For The Day and I Know There's an Answer on PS as filler, though, I guess in comparison to GOK, DT (PYHOMS), WIBN etc. its easy for them to seem inferior.

Hey Jeff, if you fancy compiling a list of filler tracks from post '73 I'd love to see it!  Smiley

Post-73 is a lot tougher for me, because IMO the band changed what it was trying to do.  Other than Love You and a few other interesting songs, they started going for the quick 'n easy hit like Rock and Roll Music, which I think is terrible, but reached No. 5.  And post-1980, it was more Beach Boys Tribute Band than Beach Boys, but you can't really call Kokomo filler.

As for what I like: Had to Phone Ya, Just Once in My Life, My Diane, Everybody Wants to Live, Baby Blue, Angel Come Home, Good Timin', Love Surrounds Me, the demos of It's Over Now and Still I Dream of It, and all of Love You except Love Is a Woman.
that'd be one hell of an album.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2011, 11:33:06 PM »

drbeachboy, if we have to filter out all replies that are (partly) off-topic, then we'd have a 24/7 job here. And may I remind you of certain rules regarding name-calling? Totally unnecesary; I'm sure you're able to find better words to express you don't agree.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2011, 04:10:34 AM »

And what if I took being called John Stamos as the ultimate insult? What if I just happen to be John Stamos and my name is used to insult people? I/He sang on that fabulous album. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
MBE
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2011, 04:22:08 AM »

I think the first album not to have any intentional filler is Pet Sounds. All of the albums from then until Holland I think the band members actually tried their best on (apart from Brian maybe). After that, you could argue that including songs from 1970 on Love You and 15BO constitutes filler. From MIU to BB85 I don't think there's anything too fillery (lots of bad songs though) but I think Al has been quoted as saying that Santa Ana Winds was seen to be just that. SC obviously has the oldies whilst SIP, despite its naffness, doesn't have any songs intended just to take up time I think.
I think Brian tried his best during that 67-72 time but by 1972 he couldn't do what he had as recently as 1970. Look at it this way he was a full time studio Beach Boy through Friends. 20/20 half there, Sunflower 90 percent there, Surf's Up about 80 percent there (if not nearly as active writing wise) and around a third there for So Tough and Holland. I see it as Brian controlling if and when he would work with the group. By 1976 it seems like things were forced out of him and then I think in terms of The Beach Boys he wasn't always giving it his best from 1976-96 in the studio or on stage. Before that it was just his slowly worsenening depression, mental issues, and drug addiction. Certainly they all played a role later (a much bigger one as they got worse) but I feel in a way Brian kind of gave up after his dad died. He's done some great work since then but I think when he lost his voice something special was gone forever.
Nicko1234
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2011, 05:40:19 AM »

I think Brian tried his best during that 67-72 time but by 1972 he couldn't do what he had as recently as 1970. Look at it this way he was a full time studio Beach Boy through Friends. 20/20 half there, Sunflower 90 percent there, Surf's Up about 80 percent there (if not nearly as active writing wise) and around a third there for So Tough and Holland. I see it as Brian controlling if and when he would work with the group. By 1976 it seems like things were forced out of him and then I think in terms of The Beach Boys he wasn't always giving it his best from 1976-96 in the studio or on stage. Before that it was just his slowly worsenening depression, mental issues, and drug addiction. Certainly they all played a role later (a much bigger one as they got worse) but I feel in a way Brian kind of gave up after his dad died. He's done some great work since then but I think when he lost his voice something special was gone forever.

I guess it depends on what is meant by the term, 'trying one's best'. Within the contraints of the mental problems that he had he probably did try his best. But with something like Smiley Smile I don't think that many could claim that he was genuinely trying to record those songs to the best of his ability. It actually sounds like an album rush recorded in order to appease the label and you could claim that there is more filler on that album than on something like SIP. That has nothing to do with song quality but everything to do with the idea that Brian was hurrying to complete songs to get any old album out.
MBE
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2011, 05:48:33 AM »

Yes Smiley is far from their best LP but I have a 1968 Brian interview with J. Marks and he talks about how much fun these sessions were for him and the group. Listen to the outtakes and you really do hear a nice upbeat vibe. Granted I do feel they wanted just to get an album out, but I think right or wrong it really was what Brian wanted to do with the songs at that point.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2011, 06:37:30 AM »

And what if I took being called John Stamos as the ultimate insult?

I think Mike Love would take sue you!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2011, 06:56:14 AM »

Smiley would be perfect up to Good Vibrations which blows everything outta the water on SS...If the GV rehearsal from Lei'd in Hawaii were in the single version's place on SS, then SS would have the perfect album flow.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2011, 09:33:19 AM »

How could calling someone John Stamos be regarded as an insult? I love John Stamos. He's easily my ninth or tenth favourite Beach Boy.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2011, 10:05:03 AM »

How could calling someone John Stamos be regarded as an insult? I love John Stamos. He's easily my ninth or tenth favourite Beach Boy.
I said "What If", not that I was, though I could've been. You and I both know how you meant it, don't we? Wink Also, my apologies to you for calling you a name. Sometimes this place just gets me all riled up and I overreact.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2011, 10:10:31 AM »

No worries, I've been called worse.  Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx