-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:49:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Questions on a movie and tv show I remember from my childhood
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Questions on a movie and tv show I remember from my childhood  (Read 5745 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2011, 11:09:31 PM »

How's that for a descriptive thread title?  Grin I'm here to once again ask everybody's help with a few fragments of a movie and tv show I remember as a kid.

The movie(possibly a TV movie?) was kind of science fiction/horror. It wasn't like a regular movie that lasts for two hours or so with one main plot. The movie I'm talking about was a series of short stories. I think there were four stories in total. I only really remember two of them though. The first one dealt with an arcade obsessed kid who somehow found himself in the middle of a game, and he had to fight his way out. My memory of another "episode" from the movie is a lot more vague and fuzzy. The only thing I remember of it is a scene where a little girl's pet rat turns into a giant. I remember seeing the rat on the little girl's bed, and it pretty much takes up the entire bed. I remember it scared the piss out of me.  Grin

The tv show was some type of Biography series, but I'm pretty sure this was before the Biography series that's been on A&E. I think this once came from the mid to late 1980's. It dealt with certain celebrity "mysteries". I think it had a narrator, but there were also certain scenes where actors would portray charactors. It would ususally only be for a few short seconds at a time(I think), but once in a while there was dialogue. I remember one episode that talked about John Lennon and Yoko Ono. It was talking about John's 1968 drug arrest. I remember a scene where a bunch of "police officers" broke into a room and held up "John" and "Yoko" at gun point. While their hands were in the air, one of the "policemen" said "When are The Beatles getting back together?".  Roll Eyes This is probably the most that I can remember about the show. Although I'm pretty sure I can kind of remember an episode about John Belushi, and another one about Frank Sinatra. This would have been several years before Sinatra died though.
Does anybody remember either the movie or the  tv show I'm talking about? For years now I've had these fuzzy memories stuck in my head, and I'm starting to wonder if they are all just some really messed dreams.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:28:26 AM »

Sounds like Saturday Night Live

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:31:48 AM »

The movie(possibly a TV movie?) was kind of science fiction/horror. It wasn't like a regular movie that lasts for two hours or so with one main plot. The movie I'm talking about was a series of short stories. I think there were four stories in total. I only really remember two of them though. The first one dealt with an arcade obsessed kid who somehow found himself in the middle of a game, and he had to fight his way out. My memory of another "episode" from the movie is a lot more vague and fuzzy. The only thing I remember of it is a scene where a little girl's pet rat turns into a giant. I remember seeing the rat on the little girl's bed, and it pretty much takes up the entire bed. I remember it scared the piss out of me.  Grin

Creepshow 2 ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 09:29:11 AM »

Sounds like Steven Spielberg's AMAZING STORIES.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:22:10 PM »

That might be it, pixletwin. Is Spielberg the guy with the glasses and beard? The guy who got into all kind of trouble when Vic Marrow was killed during the making of one of his movies? I think he directed the movie I'm talking about.

All Golden 74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:05:34 PM »

It's called Nightmares (1983), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmares_%281983_film%29.  I remember the arcade scene and that it starred Emilio Estevez.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:21:46 PM »

It's called Nightmares (1983), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmares_%281983_film%29.  I remember the arcade scene and that it starred Emilio Estevez.
Thank you!!  Grin

All Golden 74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:28:01 PM »

I also remember seeing the John Lennon bit - wasn't it a Hollywood Babylon type special on VH1(maybe that's where I saw it, but I don't know if that's who made it)?  I do remember the scene you described, but wasn't John supposed to be with that Chinese chick that he dated while he and Yoko had broke up?  I also remember that they made the NY cop look like a total dumb-ass (ha ha  LOL)!
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »

That might be it, pixletwin. Is Spielberg the guy with the glasses and beard? The guy who got into all kind of trouble when Vic Marrow was killed during the making of one of his movies? I think he directed the movie I'm talking about.

It was Vic Morrow and the movie is Twilight Zone the Movie directed by John Landis.

I think I know what tv show you are talking about. I don't remember the name though. The John Belushi one... I remember it being grainy or mysterious looking... shots of a hotel room... hand held camera... that kind of thing.

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 08:17:29 PM »

I also remember seeing the John Lennon bit - wasn't it a Hollywood Babylon type special on VH1(maybe that's where I saw it, but I don't know if that's who made it)?  I do remember the scene you described, but wasn't John supposed to be with that Chinese chick that he dated while he and Yoko had broke up?  I also remember that they made the NY cop look like a total dumb-ass (ha ha  LOL)!
I was born in 1985, and I would imagine that this aired anywhere between 1987-ish(going from my earliest memories of being on this earth  Grin) and the very early 1990's. I actually didn't think VH1 was that old, which is why I didn't automatically think of that.

I seem to remember the Belushi episode trying to make a case of murder out of his death. You know, "the seedy side of Hollywood" type crap.  Roll Eyes

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 02:31:02 AM »

I just thought I'd bring this topic back, to see if anybody can help me figure out this biography type channel I'm talking about. I never did find out what it was.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 09:05:22 PM »

I did the match-up of Sinatra & John Belushi on imdb & they both have Self credits "Today (TV Series)". That's the best idea I came up with. Is this it, Jay?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 01:06:18 AM »

I did the match-up of Sinatra & John Belushi on imdb & they both have Self credits "Today (TV Series)". That's the best idea I came up with. Is this it, Jay?
No. It was some kind of biography show that I think was narrated, with reenacted scenes with people playing the characters. I think it was from the very early 90's, or maybe the late 80's.

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 12:15:03 PM »

Hollywood Babylon or E! True Hollywood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3akzBvdem8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_LtB2tMOWg
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:16:41 PM by Cyncie » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: