gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:49:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Boot?  (Read 4358 times)
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2006, 07:34:56 PM »

Does anybody have any information about the sound quality of this new boot that is being offered? It is a live show from 74 - is it sound board or an audience recording?

Title: The Beach Boys In Concert - Second Wing
Venue: Athletic and Convocation Center, Notre Dame University, Notre Dame, IN
Date: April 20, 1974
Label: King Stork Records

Disc 1:
1. WOULDN'T IT BE NICE
2. DARLIN'
3. LITTLE DEUCE COUPE
4. THE TRADER
5. LONG PROMISED ROAD
6. SURFER GIRL
7. FUNKY PRETTY
8. CALIFORNIA SAGA/PART THREE: CALIFORNIA
9. MARCELLA
10. GOD ONLY KNOWS

Disc 2:
11. WE GOT LOVE
12. DON'T TALK (PUT YOUR HEAD ON MY SHOULDER)
13. HEROES & VILLAINS
14. DON'T WORRY BABY
15. SLOOP JOHN B.
16. HELP ME, RHONDA (Dennis)
17. SURFIN' U.S.A.
18. GOOD VIBRATIONS
-Encore-
19. CALIFORNIA GIRLS
20. BARBARA ANN
21. I GET AROUND
22. FUN, FUN, FUN

Thanks.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 06:24:56 AM »

It's a very good audience recording that's been circulating for years on the collectors' circuit,
but apparently finally got an "official" boot release (that sounds like a contradiction, but you know what I mean).

C-Man
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 08:51:16 AM »

Oh boy.

I may have been at that concert.  One of the first shows I ever went to, by anybody.

- the only thing is I remember distinctly that they opened with Sloop John B.

Is it possible I am remembering a different show.  Did they play Notre Dame maybe in 75 or 76?  That fits better into the timeframe when I would have seen them.

Someone please help these fading brain cells
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 09:19:41 AM »

Oh boy.

I may have been at that concert.  One of the first shows I ever went to, by anybody.

- the only thing is I remember distinctly that they opened with Sloop John B.

Is it possible I am remembering a different show.  Did they play Notre Dame maybe in 75 or 76?  That fits better into the timeframe when I would have seen them.

Someone please help these fading brain cells

Yeah, in '74 they opened with "WIBN", at least at this show and several others.  In '75 the opener was usually "Sloop".  So that's probably when you saw them there.

C-Man
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 10:35:25 AM »

Makes sense c-man. I know I owned the Good Vibrations compilation LP which I see came out in '75

Wouldn't it be nice ( Wink) if that boot had been the show I had seen...  Is there anything on the boot (crowd banter, etc) that definitely places it at Notre Dame?  My gray cells sorta remember Mike Love making a comment about a recent USC/ND game.

Are there any sources online that could help me resolve the date of that concert?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 12:11:00 PM »

Going from "Little Deuce Coupe" to "Trader"...what an odd transition that must have been for the audience. Still trying to wrap my head around that one.

I had no idea "Don't Talk" was played live in that era, either.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 02:07:08 PM »

Yeah, "Don't Talk" shows up on a couple of other excellent-quality audience recordings from that month (April '74), Tampa and Orlando.  The Tampa show has been booted with a faded-out version of "Don't Talk", but I'm lucky enough to have run across a tape with an un-faded version.  Carl sings it.

On the Notre Dame tape, there are a couple of references to the location.  There are also Notre Dame shows from '71 and '72 out there, but I've never managed to track 'em down.  I'm sure the show you attended is '75, if it opened with "Sloop" and if you had the "Good Vibrations - Best Of" album at the time.  By '76, the standard opener was "California Girls", except a couple of shows late in the year that opened with "WIBN".

C-Man
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 04:59:39 PM »

Any chance that show took place on Monday, October 27, 1975 at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis?  That's the only Indiana show I can find listed in the Badman book, not that that's complete, in the right time period.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 05:53:08 PM »

Any chance that show took place on Monday, October 27, 1975 at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis?  That's the only Indiana show I can find listed in the Badman book, not that that's complete, in the right time period.
Probably the reason that show is listed is because it's circulating on tape, and there's probably a setlist on Eric's site.

C-Man
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 08:39:35 PM »

Quote from: Surfer Joe on Today at 06:59:39 PM
Probably the reason that show is listed is because it's circulating on tape, and there's probably a setlist on Eric's site.

I would imagine the show I saw would have been either the weekend before or after Oct. 27, 1975.  ND is about 3 hours away from Indianapolis (Chicago is closer) so it would stand to reason that the shows would be within a few days of one another.   I vaguely recall a Mike Love comment about a recent (probably the week before) ND/USC football matchup.  That game has always typically been played late October so that fits.  Should not be too hard too discover the date of that game in 1975. 

Thanks all for helping me track this down.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 01:14:52 PM »

Southern Cal and Notre Dame had played the previous Saturday (USC won, 24-17).  According to the Badman book, which, again, is not bullet proof (as we'll see), the show in Indianapolis on Monday,the 27th was the tour opener.  On the 28th they played Champaign, Illinois.  On the 29th they played at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, Michigan.  On the 30th he says they played at UM in St. Louis, Missouri, although the University of Missouri is actually 125 miles away in Columbia.  On Friday, the 31st, Badman has them in St. Paul, Minnesota, and on Saturday the 1st of November, while the Irish were bouncing back with a 31-10 win over Navy, the Beach Boys were in Lawrence, Kansas.  On Sunday the 2nd they wrapped this leg of the tour up in Omaha, Nebraska, and were presumably relaxing at home while Rudy Ruettiger entered the game against Georgia Tech in South Bend on the 8th- a 24-3 win for Notre Dame.

The show you saw could have been added on as an afternoon gig on one of those dates or they might have opened the tour a day or two earlier than reported on the Saturday the 25th (gameday) or Sunday the 26th.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 05:19:05 AM »

The setlist is interesting to me: first half of the show, some excellent recent stuff and only a smattering of oldies. Second half, oldies galore.  Heading towards the touring jukebox already?

The cover artwork for this boot is exellent - based on the 73 In Concert album but meatier; back slick is based on the 70s reissue two-fer CDs.  Veeery nice.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 05:24:02 AM »

See here folks:

www.giginjapan.com/scan81/bb-second.htm

“We live in divisive times.”
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile