gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:44:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: One song ...  (Read 4112 times)
JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:41:44 PM »

Hello, this is just a little "test" I made, just a "fake" band named "Happy Trobadors".

I play and sing everything: http://www.happytrobadors.com/

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 01:42:40 PM »

Two thumbs up.

Download link? please! This song is incredible. Love the name. Love the video, singing, playing, subtitles, everything.

Great job! Look forward to hearing more!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 02:29:33 PM »

Nice recording, pleasant song. Count me as someone interested in hearing others.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:12:08 AM »

Hello guys,

I'm really really happy that you like it ! I wasn't thinking that you would respond so fast.

To Luther: I heard "Struck a Nerve ..." I love the happy feel of this song ! Congrats too !
To Rab2591: thank you so much for your enthousiasm ! Here is a download link to the song: http://www.fileserve.com/file/mEtZ6NB

I'll post another tune maybe later today.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 02:02:57 AM »

It's great! I demand more  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 08:52:59 AM »

I really liked it.  Please post more.

robertgotshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 04:26:36 AM »

This is actually pretty great! Kudos on the harmonies. Well recorded, too.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 02:55:08 PM »

I agree. This is really great. Very nice melody. Count me in as someone who'd love to hear more. Is this a one-man project?

JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 05:37:59 AM »

Here's another demo. This one is incomplete. Just to have some advice: http://snd.sc/lvdbPW

Here's another version of the same song, a bit faster and a "cleaner" mix, but I'm still not satisfied with it: http://snd.sc/j21btt

JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 06:01:21 AM »

By the way, SoundCloud compression is really awful ! Angry

vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 12:26:29 AM »

I like the rewind track, I especially liked the end of the guitar solo
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 02:26:08 PM »

Thanks for sharing more music with us. I like this one as well and would love to hear it with a lead vocal. That's a cool, almost Greek-like sound you have on the guitar track.  Cheesy Smile goes Zorba!

Again; I'm curious - is this a one man project or a group thing?

JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 11:50:28 PM »

Thanks for sharing more music with us.

You're very welcome ! It's my pleasure and I'm very pleased that some people here like it.

I like this one as well and would love to hear it with a lead vocal. That's a cool, almost Greek-like sound you have on the guitar track.  Cheesy Smile goes Zorba!
Actually it's a banjo. Depending on the version, there are also mandolin, ukulele and 12 strings guitar on it.

Again; I'm curious - is this a one man project or a group thing?
This is a one man project. I do everything. But I don't have too much ambitions around this project (this is not even a "project", just songs in progress). Being listened here among Beach Boys and Brian Wilson fans with sharp ears and good taste is already great !! And it satisfies me.

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 03:30:59 PM »

Another good one JMZ.  If only Sean O'Hagan had your sense of melody.  Smiley

Keep posting them.

What sort of set-up are you using to record?

JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 12:26:51 AM »

Another good one JMZ.  If only Sean O'Hagan had your sense of melody.  Smiley

Hey, thanks ! I don't know who Sean O'Hagan is. Do you have some references for me to listen ?

Keep posting them.
I'll try to finish something soon and post it here.

What sort of set-up are you using to record?

I'm using Sonar 8 (maybe I'll soon upgrade) along with a RME "Fireface 800" soundcard.

I mostly use an Audiotechnica 4033 and sometimes a Studio Projects B3. If you wish I can give you the full list of gear and instruments in my studio (but it might be long  Roll Eyes )

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 01:01:42 PM »

Sean O'Hagan is the mind behind The High Llamas.  If you are not familiar with him/them you can find some info scattered throughout this board, and there is plenty of info to be found via google.  I assume youtube to be a good resource as well.  Sean is considered to be a sort of mini-Brian Wilson in as much as he is strongly influenced by Smile-era Brian.  One of the main criticisms is that his songs tend to be comparatively "cold"/without emotion.  I don't know how else to say it but if you give it a listen I think you will hear what I am trying to communicate.  You may disagree, but I think you will see what I am getting at and why.

My primary interest is to know how you are getting the overall sound - what mics you are using, etc.  I have another thread where I ask this question of others, but feel free to post your reply here.  I am brand spanking new to recording.  I use my POS (piece of sh!t) ThinkPad laptop, audacity, and only the mic built into my computer.  It sounds a lot better than I would have expected, but a lot worse than I would like.  I am not sure I am ready to invest money in recording equipment, but I am trying to stockpile information now so that I am ready when the time comes.

mps

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »

Damn fine work, really enjoyed the first song - harmonies were excellent, as was the arrangement and production.  Neat trippy little video too.

I loved all both versions of "Never Do It Again" as well - I know it's tough when you're getting into tweaking the little details, but there are great things about all of them so you really can't go wrong.  I love the guitar that comes in at 1:42 in the first one you posted on 5/24, very cool vibe.  At the same time though, I like the piano/vocal thing that happens at the same spot in the other version.  I didn't really think it needed any additional rhythm section, but that's just me. The arrangement is fantastic and your vocals are excellent as well.  Looking forward to hearing it with a lead vocal!
JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 01:22:26 AM »

I loved all both versions of "Never Do It Again" as well - [...]  I didn't really think it needed any additional rhythm section, but that's just me. The arrangement is fantastic and your vocals are excellent as well.  Looking forward to hearing it with a lead vocal!

Thank you so much for those kind words ! Really.

Actually, I've recorded a lead and some additional rythm section. But I'm totally not happy with my voice singing the lead, I'm not sure about the lyrics, and I'm not very fond of the rythm section as well. I'll redo the lead with a girl voice during the week, and I'll post it here !

My primary interest is to know how you are getting the overall sound - what mics you are using, etc.  I have another thread where I ask this question of others, but feel free to post your reply here.  I am brand spanking new to recording.

Well to answer you precisely about my equipement:

- Audiotechnica 4033 and Studio Projects B3 as "middle-class" condenser mics. I also own a few dynamic mics (AKG D310) and a cheap chinese ribbon mic (I bought it because ribbon is so hype these days, I wanted to have mine and to hear what it's all about).
- I record thru a RME "Fireface 800" soundcard. I love it because it has good preamps and amazing functions for its price.
- Then I use Sonar 8.0 to record, edit and mix and I usually work with the "Sonitus FX" plugins set (EQ, Compression, Delay, Modulations, etc).
- I also own Reason 3.0 and Native Instruments "Komplete 7" plugins bundle with a lot of software synths, samplers, soundbanks, etc.

As I usually record by myself, I proceed by stacking tracks one after another, classic. I work in a 190 sq.ft. room that has not been acoustically treated yet, but it sounds rather nice naturally.

What else can I say ?  Roll Eyes

homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 02:27:15 AM »

Wow, great song! Very Elliott Smith-ish

Edit: the other song was great too. Creative songs with great feeling
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:30:12 AM by homeontherange » Logged
JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 02:46:07 AM »