gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681022 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 03:15:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian has signed off on Smile Sessions......  (Read 64512 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: May 20, 2011, 10:08:06 AM »

Didn't someone else make a Faberge egg reference.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 20, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »

VDP has said it at least 3 times now. Not sure if someone else has said it as well.

And, yes, at the time of the Record Collector interview VDP indicated that he hadn't seen the prototype yet, but in the interview last weekend he indicated that he had seen it.  And he seems to be sticking with the Faberge egg analogy.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 20, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »

Its weird that every time I read a VDP quote I hear it in his voice.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: May 20, 2011, 02:35:30 PM »

Will the vinyl be egg-shaped?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: May 20, 2011, 05:43:13 PM »

It will be interesting to see whether Boyd & Linett try & rearrange the old tracks a la BWPS or they simply sequence the older stuff "as is."

My understanding was that that even the 1988 (I think) tape box stuff was largely compiled and pieced together by Mark Linett, as was stuff on the GV box set. If that's the case then perhaps something closer to BWPS should be in order.

What I find consistent about BWPS and the project in general is the idea of the pun. Frank Holmes has made mention of, and pointed out, the visual pun in his SMiLE artwork. Van Dyke Parks wrote pun filled lyrics for SMilE. And the musical sequencing for SMiLE often had the ending of one song becoming the beginning of another song sometimes in a slightly different way. In this fashion there is a musical pun....one thing becomes something else.

Heck the idea of dominoes is like this. Each domino has two values.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: May 20, 2011, 05:50:35 PM »

Or rather, I should say, one ting is, at the same time, something else.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 20, 2011, 05:51:02 PM »

It will be interesting to see whether Boyd & Linett try & rearrange the old tracks a la BWPS or they simply sequence the older stuff "as is."

My understanding was that that even the 1988 (I think) tape box stuff was largely compiled and pieced together by Mark Linett, as was stuff on the GV box set. If that's the case then perhaps something closer to BWPS should be in order.

What I find consistent about BWPS and the project in general is the idea of the pun. Frank Holmes has made mention of, and pointed out, the visual pun in his SMiLE artwork. Van Dyke Parks wrote pun filled lyrics for SMilE. And the musical sequencing for SMiLE often had the ending of one song becoming the beginning of another song sometimes in a slightly different way. In this fashion there is a musical pun....one thing becomes something else.

Heck the idea of dominoes is like this. Each domino has two values.

Uhh, This would mean that you know the original SMiLE sequence;  I mean how else would you know that " the musical sequencing for SMiLE often had the ending of one song becoming the beginning of another song" ?  
Finally!  The person who's been entrusted with "The Vision". I'm glad it's you, Bill.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: May 20, 2011, 06:14:12 PM »

Domenic Priore has been onto this since day one. His track sequencing was largely based upon how one track flowed flawlessly into the next.

That's what I mean by a musical pun.

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: May 20, 2011, 06:35:42 PM »

And all this see see and done done & pun stuff was to get you to pick up onto the two in the one. Dig?

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: May 20, 2011, 08:32:23 PM »

These little triggers were to indicate that there are two layers of meaning in SMiLE. Pet Sounds is on one level but SMiLE is on two levels.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: May 21, 2011, 12:50:36 AM »

These little triggers were to indicate that there are two layers of meaning in SMiLE. Pet Sounds is on one level but SMiLE is on two levels.

Crap, here we go again.

Actually, we don't - I've been there, read the 'guide' book, had a laugh, moved on.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 21, 2011, 06:42:23 AM »

If you define a pun as vaguely as "one thing that becomes something else" then I suppose you could call just about anything a pun. I'm sorry but "the ending of one song becoming the beginning of another song" is nothing like what a pun is supposed to do.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 21, 2011, 06:47:46 AM »

Domenic Priore has been onto this since day one. His track sequencing was largely based upon how one track flowed flawlessly into the next.

That's what I mean by a musical pun.

No he wasn't. Dom Priore's tracklist is based on pretty much what anyone's Smile tracklist was based on - their own opinion based on the limited evidence of boots. Dom just had a rather inflated sense of his own opinion. I mean, do you really suppose She's Goin' Bald was supposed to be on SMiLE?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #288 on: May 21, 2011, 08:35:01 AM »

Have to disagree with you on this, Bill. Hypehat is right- Priore's sequence was the proper sequence- to him. He didn't have the absolute correct answers (and he famously declared the use of link tracks as necessity. Which is absurd, because everyone involved has said this wasn't so).  You can pretty much make a case for just about any SMiLE track flowing flawlessly into another. I've heard a million different tracklistings, and pretty much all of them made sense.
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: May 21, 2011, 03:50:27 PM »

Andrew B. Doe said
:
Actually, we don't - I've been there, read the 'guide' book, had a laugh, moved on.

You are a freakin' genius Andrew.

Hypehat & A Million Units:

Sorry if I didn't explain my comment well. All I was pointing out was that Domenic valued the flow from one track into another. BWPS did the same.

When the rhythm stays the same and the tools from the workshop turn into the percussion of Vegetables--this is what I mean by a musical pun. Or the end of Wonderful becomes the beginning of Song For Children. Same idea.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 21, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »

Andrew B. Doe said
:

You are a freakin' genius Andrew.

Hypehat & A Million Units:

Sorry if I didn't explain my comment well. All I was pointing out was that Domenic valued the flow from one track into another. BWPS did the same.

When the rhythm stays the same and the tools from the workshop turn into the percussion of Vegetables--this is what I mean by a musical pun. Or the end of Wonderful becomes the beginning of Song For Children. Same idea.

When the moon is in the 7th house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars.  Same idea

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: May 21, 2011, 04:04:15 PM »

That's correct bgas. You got it right.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: May 21, 2011, 04:06:57 PM »

Bill, do you know the meaning of the word "disingenuous" ?

This is what you actually said:

"Domenic Priore has been onto this since day one. His track sequencing was largely based upon how one track flowed flawlessly into the next.
That's what I mean by a musical pun... And all this see see and done done & pun stuff was to get you to pick up onto the two in the one. Dig ? These little triggers were to indicate that there are two layers of meaning in SMiLE. Pet Sounds is on one level but SMiLE is on two levels."

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: May 21, 2011, 04:45:59 PM »

That's correct Andrew. Domenic's concern with ending of one track vis a vis the beginning of the following track is like a pun. It leads you down one road only to be also a different road, the same music has two different meanings.

That's not saying that Domenic's track line-up is perfect. It's just to point out that his appreciation of that track to track quality could also be seen on BWPS and fits into the pun idea.

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: May 21, 2011, 04:48:57 PM »

Also Andrew, I was not being disingenuous.

The more unlikely or ‘far-fetched’ the...more unexpected and impressive the achievement!!!

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 21, 2011, 05:38:06 PM »

God, I wish you guys would just fucking fight already.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: May 21, 2011, 06:05:39 PM »

Andrew apparently read Watts' The Joyous Cosmology & dismissed the whole thing. That book was the one Bob Hanes claimed Brian had requested prior to his dabbling with SMiLE & BWPS. Bob felt the book had significance SMiLE-wise.

The deal was that Andrew was going to tell folks what the book was about, but apparently that part of the deal fell through.

The book is about the LSD experience. Watts describes a number of experiences as best he can using words. Timothy Leary & Ram Das wrote the intro.

The whole point of this was to give a more accurate picture of the times & environment from which SMiLE arose.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 21, 2011, 06:06:36 PM »

That's correct Andrew. Domenic's concern with ending of one track vis a vis the beginning of the following track is like a pun.

No, but really, that's nothing like a pun.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 21, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »

God, I wish you guys would just friggin' fight already.

I hereby demand satisfaction, in Trafalgar Square, UK. At a date meeting Mr. Tobelman's schedule, to be settled by PM. Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 21, 2011, 09:04:13 PM »

God, I wish you guys would just friggin' fight already.

A mod hoping for an argument.

You gotta love this place

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx