gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:47:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian has signed off on Smile Sessions......  (Read 64180 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:58:07 AM »

......he says according to BBC Radio 6 interview - he says he's listened to it  LOL and approved it

Cheers

Richard
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:59:20 AM »

Right on!

Thanks for the heads up with this interview. Mindblowing hearing Brian talk about this in the context of it finally being released:

"I approved it -  I listened to almost 4 hours of music. The actual smile album is just a tiny fraction of all the stuff we recorded but i had to approve it before they could finish it."

"And how does it sound, because I can't wait to hear it?"

"Oh, it sounds great!"

Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:26:30 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 05:48:45 AM »

BW: "I approved it, I listened to it all, almost four hours of music. The actual SMILE album is just a tiny fraction of all the stuff we recorded but I had to approve it before they could finish it, you know?"

And how does it sound, cos I can't wait to hear it?

BW: "Oh, sounds great, yeah."
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:56:52 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 05:51:09 AM »

Beat me to it!!

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 05:53:19 AM »

Beat me to it!!

Sorry, I added to my original post!

So now that the key players have signed off on this we know the sequence must be in place. We know from VDP's comments that the packaging is finished. Maybe the July date is a possibility after all!?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 05:58:16 AM »

I thought they'd still be some months away from completion but maybe not.

Very disturbing, as they can't possibly have had time to incorporate all the instructions and advice we've been giving them from this board.

Grin

John B
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 06:00:35 AM »

Very disturbing, as they can't possibly have had time to incorporate all the instructions and advice we've been giving them from this board.
   LOL
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 06:11:06 AM »

I thought they'd still be some months away from completion but maybe not.

Grin

haha! Imagine if they had to get the Smiley board to sign off on this? It would NEVER see the light of day.

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 06:18:55 AM »

God imagine 1730 different tracklistings  LOL

Cheers

Richard
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 06:50:03 AM »

So now that the key players have signed off on this we know the sequence must be in place. We know from VDP's comments that the packaging is finished. Maybe the July date is a possibility after all!?

VDP still has to write his 1,000 words for the booklet on his return to LA in May.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 07:20:42 AM »

Right on!

Thanks for the heads up with this interview. Mindblowing hearing Brian talk about this in the context of it finally being released:

"I approved it -  I listened to almost 4 hours of music. The actual smile album is just a tiny fraction of all the stuff we recorded but i had to approve it before they could finish it."

"Oh, it sounds great!"

Grin Grin Grin

He's heard something... but not the finished product, as four hours would fit neatly on three CDs, and we know the box is at least four. Also, note Brian states " I had to approve it before they could finish it."  There are other excellent reasons why he couldn't have heard the final product, but these will suffice.

Of course, this will only give Phil more grist for his mill, as he'll interpret this as "see, they've not finished it YET !"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:21:55 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 07:24:52 AM »

No, we actually know nothing of the sort: read Van Dyke's interview again and it's very clear that he's just repeating what others have told him, and that he's seen - and heard - nothing. Thus:

"I hear the box set is going to be absolutely beautiful. It will be very comforting to see that it's finally commercially available."

As for reverting to the originally reported July date ? No.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:28:04 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 07:37:02 AM »

I'll take all 4 hours of it - no frills, no vinyl, no limited-edition stickers, etc. Just 4 hours of pure Smile music.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 07:43:22 AM »

No, we actually know nothing of the sort: read Van Dyke's interview again and it's very clear that he's just repeating what others have told him, and that he's seen - and heard - nothing. Thus:

"I hear the box set is going to be absolutely beautiful. It will be very comforting to see that it's finally commercially available."

Err why definitely not July??

Cheers

Richard
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 07:46:05 AM »

Right on!

"I approved it -  I listened to almost 4 hours of music. The actual smile album is just a tiny fraction of all the stuff we recorded but i had to approve it before they could finish it."

"Oh, it sounds great!"

Grin Grin Grin

He's heard something... but not the finished product, as four hours would fit neatly on three CDs, and we know the box is at least four. Also, note Brian states " I had to approve it before they could finish it."  There are other excellent reasons why he couldn't have heard the final product, but these will suffice.

Of course, this will only give Phil more grist for his mill, as he'll interpret this as "see, they've not finished it YET !"

Like what???

Cheers

Richard
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 07:56:32 AM »

Actually Andrew if you listen to this VDP interview he says he HAS seen it - something about a Faberge egg http://near90leftofthedial.podomatic.com/ - go to 12.40 is

Cheers

Richard
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 08:00:02 AM »

And this from another recent interview - http://music.uk.msn.com/features/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=157537827

Brian and his impeccable musicians recorded and released their own version of Smile that year; a much happier and lighter affair than the fabled and much bootlegged 1967 sessions. But this summer sees the first ever official release of those original Beach Boys recordings, with the endorsement of their creator.

"I listened to all the tapes, and I approved some of them and I disapproved some of them. But they're bringing out the tapes that I approved."

Cheers

Richard
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 08:09:48 AM »

Anyone got a link to this?

Cheers!!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 08:11:34 AM »

BW: "I approved it, I listened to it all, almost four hours of music. The actual SMILE album is just a tiny fraction of all the stuff we recorded but I had to approve it before they could finish it, you know?"

What SMiLE album. It was never an album. Agreed that the finished tracks were a "tiny fraction" of all the stuff recorded, but.....

"And how does it sound, cos I can't wait to hear it?" BW: "Oh, sounds great, yeah."

What's he going to say at this point in the game? "Nah, it sucks. it's not Beach Boys music".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 08:11:57 AM »

Anyone got a link to this?

Cheers!!!

Both links in my posts

Cheers

Richard
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 08:15:45 AM »

I was basing my comment about the packaging on the fact VDP has made reference to it in several interviews. Also as far as Brian's comment about approving it "before they could finish it" goes, that could be read two ways: That he had to approve it before finishing touches could be made, or that he had to approve it before they could call it a finished product.

Why the skepticism about the July date? I'm clueless about the process here - what might be left to do if (big if, granted)  packaging, sequence, mix and signatures are in the bag?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:17:00 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 08:20:37 AM »

Well that's cool to hear. I was thinking it's getting stalled because Brian doesn't like it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 08:23:48 AM »

"I listened to all the tapes, and I approved some of them and I disapproved some of them. But they're bringing out the tapes that I approved."

I sure hope there is a consensus between Brian and the fans concerning the stuff he disapproved of!!  I would hate to know about good material that was left off this set because it brought back bad memories or for some other minor reason(s) other than artistic or sound quality. But after all, it is his call and we need to trust his judgement. We have no choice!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 08:27:40 AM »

I sure hope there is a consensus between Brian and the fans concerning the stuff he disapproved of!!  I would hate to know about good material that was left off this set because it brought back bad memories or for some other minor reason(s) other than artistic or sound quality. But after all, it is his call and we need to trust his judgement. We have no choice!

Surf's Up? Nah - junk that.

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 08:29:30 AM »

Well, if the multi-disc set is reduced to three CDs, we'll know he objected to quite a bit! I'm going to hope that Brian was in a logical frame of mind that day and rejected just the drug talk and "party" recordings.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx