gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680847 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:14:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flo & Eddie Keep It Warm  (Read 14337 times)
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2011, 05:30:01 AM »

hi everyone,

i recently rediscovered this tune while putting a mix together from itunes......i remember hearing it for the first time sometime in the mid-70s way down on the left side of the dial late on a sunday night and all i could think was 'wow, that sounds like the beach boys....'  flo & eddie were sitting in as co-hosts of a show and i couldn't tell whether this was 'serious music' or something from dr. demento......

i wasn't aware of the lyrics, but now listening to it, it's a great song with some great stuff about the beach boys and the beatles thrown in - did flo & eddie or the turtles for that matter do any other tunes that sound like the beach boys?
Synthesiser Patel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 05:46:47 AM »

Well.... there's 'Surfer Dan' for starters.  From the Turtles' Battle of the Bands album.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 06:01:28 AM »

I think Mark Volman is in Brian's famous "All my friends"  @ the airport picture.

Cook pork throughly
oldsurferdude
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 06:27:33 AM »

Were Mark and Howard ever asked to join the group back in the day? Seems like it would have made alot more sense than Rickey and Blondie.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 06:48:40 AM »

I think Mark Volman is in Brian's famous "All my friends"  @ the airport picture.

It's one of these? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 07:26:42 AM »

Yep. The guy with glasses to the far left in the first one.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 07:44:59 AM »

Yep. The guy with glasses to the far left in the first one.

Good; I always have trouble remembering which is Howard/Mark

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 07:51:58 AM »

Who's the girl at the front in the second picture?

I've never seen that second angle before

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »

The girl in the front, meaning the one with the long blond hair? That was Jules Seigel's girl, the one that according to the famous story Brian thought she was a witch and had Vosse keep her and Seigel out of the studio later on in the Smile saga when it started to fall apart. It was either serious, or a put-on by Brian to keep them out of the studio.

But that's her, and Seigel is the one wearing the glasses and sportcoat in the very front of that same shot.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 08:01:26 AM »

I love those photos: the fact that people seem to drift in and out of the camera range depending on which shot you're viewing is interesting. One shot has Van Dyke and Durrie, one has Diane, one has Jules Seigel, but then another in the series has those folks out of the shot.

I believe there are at least 5 of those photos from that series which have been published? At least I think that's what I have or have seen. Black and white doesn't do them justice.

Part of the Smile box set should be as many of those airport photos as possible...in full color of course. Please! Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 08:15:19 AM »

I see Van Dyke Parks and his wife Durrie, David Anderle and his wife Cheryl, Annie Wilson, Danny Hutton, Mark Volman, Dean Torrence, Michael Vosse, Marilyn Wilson, Diane Rovell, Barbara Rovell, Jules Siegel and his girlfriend, Terry Sachen, and I think Steve Korthof among others at L.A. airport waiting for the rest of The Beach Boys.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 08:26:48 AM »

I see Van Dyke Parks and his wife Durrie, David Anderle and his wife Cheryl, Annie Wilson, Danny Hutton, Mark Volman, Dean Torrence, Michael Vosse, Marilyn Wilson, Diane Rovell, Barbara Rovell, Jules Siegel and his girlfriend, Terry Sachen, and I think Steve Korthof among others at L.A. airport waiting for the rest of The Beach Boys.

They were not waiting for the other Beach Boys at all that day, the photos were Brian's circle of friends outside the Beach Boys core group who was in another state at the time - that was one of the underlying themes of the photos at least in my opinion. This photoshoot was the weekend Brian and Michael Vosse flew to Michigan for the live premiere of Good Vibrations. On the plane ride back from Michigan, there are two versions of what happened: Either Brian had a radio message sent to Marilyn from the plane en route to LA to get the group together for a photo when he landed, or Marilyn organized it as a surprise gift for Brian (that version according to Mark Volman...maybe that's what he was told at the time).

Korthof is not in the shot, and I don't think Terry Sachen is there either: The mystery folks not normally mentioned in the Smile saga are Danny's girlfriend who he's holding hands with in one shot, and Dick and Carol Maier (or Mayer?) the blond guy and the girl wearing the scarf...of whom I know nothing about. And also Barbara Rovell's boyfriend is shown.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 08:52:44 AM »

The group photos above were taken by Guy Webster. I read (from more than one source) the Beach Boys lousy attitude gave Brian Wilson a notion to have the participants of SMiLE meet him at the airport for a group photo. Brian phoned this congregation together at the spur of the moment on the airplane back from Michigan because he instinctively knew that his friendships and the creative atmosphere surrounding the SMILE sessions would be in jeopardy upon The Beach Boys' return.

Details are in Priore's LLVS book and Carlin's book (pg 108). Supposedly Sachen, who was Brian's driver at the time, was there too.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 09:46:08 AM »

Any word on if The Turtles albums are due to be reissued? The old CD's on eBay are tagged at extortionate prices.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »

The group photos above were taken by Guy Webster. I read (from more than one source) the Beach Boys lousy attitude gave Brian Wilson a notion to have the participants of SMiLE meet him at the airport for a group photo. Brian phoned this congregation together at the spur of the moment on the airplane back from Michigan because he instinctively knew that his friendships and the creative atmosphere surrounding the SMILE sessions would be in jeopardy upon The Beach Boys' return.

Details are in Priore's LLVS book and Carlin's book (pg 108). Supposedly Sachen, who was Brian's driver at the time, was there too.

Where exactly is Sachen in the photos?  All the people are accounted for.

The account you gave is in several books, but keep in mind you're reading a biased account with the phrases "lousy attitude" and "instinctively knew". What evidence does the author base that on to tell that side of the story?

Also note Mark Volman said he was told the group was called together to "surprise" Brian on his return from Michigan. I'm assuming for now that may have been what Marilyn told the people in the photos to get them together. I do believe Brian sent the radio message from the plane, which was something usually reserved for emergencies, not the whim of a musician wanting to take a photo.

You couldn't "phone" something like that direct from the airplane at that time: a message would be given to the cockpit to radio that message to the ground, where it would be forwarded. The advent of the "radiotelephone" on airplanes was still several years in the future. That is why it was unusual for a message like that to even be considered aboard a flight in 1966, but that's how Brian apparently got the word to Marilyn. If that's the story we accept over Mark Volman's account.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 09:55:28 AM »

Ask Priore and Carlin! I don't know! poo! I'm paraphrasing Dominic Priore and Peter Carlin! And Maybe Sachen isn't in the picture, but he was there according to Carlin and his source. It's all there in detail if you read Carlin's book, page 108.

Were you there, Guitarfool? You seem to know a helluva lot about who what where and why with that day. Though you can take Priore with a grain of salt, Carlin is even more credible as far as I can see! I'm sure there are other sources that can back up their stories....

Who the fuuck cares anyway???
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:57:02 AM by Mikie » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 10:08:52 AM »

Ask Priore and Carlin! I don't know! poo! I'm paraphrasing Dominic Priore and Peter Carlin! And Maybe Sachen isn't in the picture, but he was there according to Carlin and his source. It's all there in detail if you read Carlin's book, page 108.

Were you there, Guitarfool? You seem to know a helluva lot about who what where and why with that day. Though you can take Priore with a grain of salt, Carlin is even more credible as far as I can see! I'm sure there are other sources that can back up their stories....

Who the fuuck cares anyway???

I care

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 10:12:27 AM »

Nah, you don't give a rat's ass, Bgas. You just have the pictures. Did you know all the people in there? No, probably not. Where'd you get the second one - never saw that before.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 10:14:24 AM »

Were you there, Guitarfool? You seem to know a helluva lot about who what where and why with that day. Though you can take Priore with a grain of salt, Carlin is even more credible as far as I can see! I'm sure there are other sources tahn can back up their stories....

Obviously I wasn't there and please don't take me the wrong way  Smiley I'm just getting more information out there about those shots and those people because I've done quite a bit of reading and fact-checking on that weekend for a writing project which is still "in the works" due to a general lack of information available and lack of free time (i.e. laziness) on my part.

The statement was made that Sachen and Korthof are in the photos, and they're not to the best of my knowledge and every shot I've seen. The statement was also made that they were there waiting for the Beach Boys and that's not why they were there - it was Brian and Vosse returning home from Michigan.

The statements about Brian getting a hostile reaction from the Beach Boys in Michigan or feeling as if the entire Smile era of creativity and hanging out with those friends was about to end after the Beach Boys returned home are assuming a bit too much, and those phrases I quoted are slanted to the negative, which is pretty easy to spot. I'm just offering the notion that there may be more to the story, not unlike the earlier report that Brian was hassled about lyrics in front of a CBS News camera crew during Smile, which went down as a fact for years.

One report we haven't mentioned states Brian was feeling paranoid on that flight home to LA because he had smoked weed prior to the flight, and these paranoid feelings hit him hard as he was on the plane and felt the immediate need to contact Marilyn as if it were an "emergency". Perhaps that's true - so we can add the drug element into the possibilities of why those photos were taken if we're putting it all in the mix.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 10:15:57 AM »

Nah, you don't give a rat's ass, Bgas. You just have the pictures. Did you know all the people in there? No, probably not. Where'd you get the second one - never saw that before.

Well, I don't know them all really well personally; mostly just to say hello, how ya doing, kind of thing

I can't tell ya where I get everything!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 10:22:52 AM »

Here is one of the few angles where you can see everyone who was there at the airport, except for Dean Torrance who is partially covered by Michael Vosse's floppy hat. The photo in Bgas' post was published in Brian's Smile tourbook, I believe, in 2004-5, in color if I recall. At least that's one place I remember seeing it...I think. Corrections welcome!

From left: Danny Hutton, June Fairchild, David Anderle, his wife Sheryl, Mark Volman, Chrissie Jolly, Jules Seigel, Michael Vosse, Dean Torrance (hidden), Diane Rovell, Marilyn Wilson, Brian, Annie Hinsche Wilson, Barbara Rovell-Gaddy, Gene Gaddy, Dick Maier, Carol Maier, Durrie Parks, Van Dyke Parks.

There are a few more published shots available. I'd love to see the whole series...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:50:12 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 10:31:58 AM »

Picture was taken in front of the TWA terminal at L.A. Airport.  How did I know that?

Bgas, where'd you get the second picture? C'mon, it's just between us.

Are those acetates that Durrie Parks is holding?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:37:12 AM by Mikie » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 10:38:29 AM »

Picture was taken in front of the TWA terminal at L.A. Airport.  How did I know that?

You must really be Guy Webster?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 10:41:58 AM »

Edit/correction: June Fairchild is with Danny Hutton. Gene Gaddy is with Barbara Rovell-Gaddy.

The shot in Brian's tourbook has them facing the wall. My bad.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 10:45:34 AM »

Guitarfool, did you find the details of how Brian "phoned" in the request on the airplane to Marilyn to have all those people assembled at the airport?

I guess maybe Priore's a little bit credible too these days since he did write four soft cover books on Smile and was selected to write a book to be included in the new Smile box set.  So I didn't mind transferring his viewpoints on the airport assemblage here. I know in the past his writing was questionable (to say the least) but I pretty much trust his judgement now.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx