-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:19:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Dinner Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dinner Thread  (Read 19776 times)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2014, 10:38:11 AM »

Those sound good RangeRover.  Similar to pot stickers, which I love.  My favorite kind of food is Chinese and it's like.  Vietnamese Imperial Rolls (a pork, shrimp, rice noodles, carrots and cabbage mixture, wrapped and fried in rice paper) with 5 Spice Chicken makes a good meal.  What are those shrimp dim sum, Hargow?  I go to Chinese bakeries whenever I can (have to go all the way to NYC to find them).  The frozen ones are not nearly as good.  One of the things I miss most not living in a Big City is the diversity of the food.  Key word is ethnic.  I already know how to cook American.  When I pay to go out, it sure isn't going to be for something I can get at home.  I used to live near a Greek deli that sold Pirozhki (a meat filled fried bun) - great with potato salad.  Russia has something like that.  I love seafood of all sorts, especially oysters, shrimp, and my very favorite food period, lobster (broiled in butter).  Affording that doesn't bring it to my table often enough though.  
I'm officially hungry now.  Going to a Mexican restaurant tonight for a birthday party, so skipping lunch.   I love cheese stuffed Chile Rellenos.  Sure that's what I'll have.  Love tamales too.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:41:58 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2014, 07:19:30 AM »

My favorite kind of food is Chinese and it's like.  Vietnamese Imperial Rolls (a pork, shrimp, rice noodles, carrots and cabbage mixture, wrapped and fried in rice paper) with 5 Spice Chicken makes a good meal.  What are those shrimp dim sum, Hargow?  I go to Chinese bakeries whenever I can (have to go all the way to NYC to find them).  The frozen ones are not nearly as good.  One of the things I miss most not living in a Big City is the diversity of the food.  Key word is ethnic.  I already know how to cook American.  When I pay to go out, it sure isn't going to be for something I can get at home.  I used to live near a Greek deli that sold Pirozhki (a meat filled fried bun) - great with potato salad.  Russia has something like that.  I love seafood of all sorts, especially oysters, shrimp, and my very favorite food period, lobster (broiled in butter).  Affording that doesn't bring it to my table often enough though.
I'm also a big fan of seafood; I like fish baked or in soup, never ate oysters, but I saw in 1 culinary show that it's served raw & with white wine. Looked good. Actually, "pirozhki" aren't only meat-filled - for example, my granny makes them with caramel candies, rice&eggs, cloudberry (rarely, as they grow in marshy places), how fantasy works. Also, the pies can be baked, not just fried. I prefer the former, but sometimes would have a bite on fried too. From the forest food I like most everything, including mushrooms, esp. chanterelles. Re favorite kind of food, mine is our national cuisine (except the vastly overrated Olivier salad & shashlyk). Love the Shrovetide (Maslenitsa) holiday, it's very joyful in the streets the whole week & you can help yourselves with pancakes for free! Kholodets is yummy too.

You're right about the diversity of food in NYC; I glanced at some picture cards, without flying over to another continent, you can find everything in there. There's even a Russian district called Brighton-Beach where people from ex-Soviet Union live. I read that the 1st Russian settlers/those have been living in US for long don't employ the newcomers in restaurants because they think Russian people aren't punctual enough, lack in discipline & don't speak English at all. Nonsense, the folks I know never were in America, are very good at English.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:23:13 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2014, 08:59:25 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:02:08 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: