gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:41:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson talks positively re. anniversary tour in 2012  (Read 10826 times)
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 11:20:27 AM »

I don't give a damn who plays with them so long as Brian, Mike, Bruce, Al, and Dave are there.
Jason
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 11:33:01 AM »

The Beach Boys used horns in 1967-71, 1976-78, and in 1993-95.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 12:38:42 PM »

Since Mike currently holds the license, I bet it will be his band with guests from past bands and maybe other member's bands.

God, here I go  where I didn't want to;
Not a chance. To get Brian,  first choice will have to go to Brian( Melinda) ; Mike won't be calling the shots, license or not. Licenses can be revoked ya know. I doubt Al will care, as long as he gets to play/be paid. David won't get a say( but he has to be there)

That's just one possible scenario. Care to make a small wager on it being the case ?  Wink
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:39:38 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 03:16:49 PM »

I hope Brian is not inferring that David Marks wouldn't be included.

I finds it ironic that David, these days, is the most creative guy of them all.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 03:23:26 PM »

Creative, or prolific?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »

Creative, or prolific?

Brian is pretty prolific.

David is more creative I think.  "I Think About You Often" was fantastic and his new album sounds very promising.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jason
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 04:02:38 PM »

Right now the three Beach Boys with the best solo music are David, Blondie, and Michael. Al's the honorable mention.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 05:29:22 PM »

Right now the three Beach Boys with the best solo music are David, Blondie, and Michael. Al's the honorable mention.

Michael?  LOL

And where would I find this so called 'solo' music?

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 05:42:22 PM »

Joke of the week!
Is there a jokes thread?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 06:01:49 PM »

I don't know anything but I bet Brian doesn't have near the swing with the Boys that some seem to think. Sure, they'd love to have their cousin/buddy join them and they love and respect him to death but they got very used to him not participating so I imagine plans may procede without.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 06:16:43 PM »

I don't know anything but I bet Brian doesn't have near the swing with the Boys that some seem to think. Sure, they'd love to have their cousin/buddy join them and they love and respect him to death but they got very used to him not participating so I imagine plans may procede without.

I think he does. The only way a 50th anniversary will "matter" to the public is if Brian participates. If Mike, Al, and Bruce tour next year it will be greeted with a kind of "ah, um, cool" response probably. If Brian is a major part this will be covered as the return of the REAL Beach Boys. You get coverage in Rolling Stone, may even a cover story, mainstream media, probably a late night talk show appearance and so on. Without Brian, you get none of that. And rightly so, he wrote nearly all of their best material, and sang a great deal of it too (along with Mike and Carl).

Also, any newly recorded material would have to feature Brian and Mike most likely. So if they do a few new tracks or something, you can bet that unless it was written by Brian Wilson with him featured in a prominent role (i.e. producer and/or vocalist).
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »

I think he does. The only way a 50th anniversary will "matter" to the public is if Brian participates. If Mike, Al, and Bruce tour next year it will be greeted with a kind of "ah, um, cool" response probably. If Brian is a major part this will be covered as the return of the REAL Beach Boys. You get coverage in Rolling Stone, may even a cover story, mainstream media, probably a late night talk show appearance and so on. Without Brian, you get none of that. And rightly so, he wrote nearly all of their best material, and sang a great deal of it too (along with Mike and Carl).

Also, any newly recorded material would have to feature Brian and Mike most likely. So if they do a few new tracks or something, you can bet that unless it was written by Brian Wilson with him featured in a prominent role (i.e. producer and/or vocalist).

Absolutely true.  The band has known for decades that including Brian in whatever they're doing is going to generate more interest from the general public.  It would be very shortsighted of them to do anything that might cause Brian to back away from the project.

Even though it's potentially a logistical nightmare, I'm really hoping that they pull this one off, and do it right.  For all of their missteps as a band over the years, it would be great to see them go out with a bang instead of a whimper.
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »

How about a Beach Boy 50th Anniversary Festival Weekend with cover bands playing one day and have a car show and carnival, too. Have a big enough stage so Brian can sit in the middle and on his right is his current band... on his left... the Beach Boys band... you have horns and strings and big screen, all current and past members... and the filming of it should be like a real film... not like some TV thing, but to be released in theatres and DVD with bonus discs containing all the interviews and a bunch of other fun stuff.

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 07:01:07 PM »

Absolutely true.  The band has known for decades that including Brian in whatever they're doing is going to generate more interest from the general public.  It would be very shortsighted of them to do anything that might cause Brian to back away from the project.

Even though it's potentially a logistical nightmare, I'm really hoping that they pull this one off, and do it right.  For all of their missteps as a band over the years, it would be great to see them go out with a bang instead of a whimper.

Sure they want Brian to do it, he's part of history and their family and buddy, but when he hasn't wanted to in the past they've gone on without him. I want Brian to do it but I will not be surprised if the rest do it without him if he doesn't.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 07:30:58 PM »

Sure they want Brian to do it, he's part of history and their family and buddy, but when he hasn't wanted to in the past they've gone on without him. I want Brian to do it but I will not be surprised if the rest do it without him if he doesn't.

I agree that they will go on without him if he doesn't want to, but it just won't be as big of a deal.

However, I hope he does at least 1 big show with them, possibly with a CD/DVD release, and one new song, just so we can say Stars & Stripes wasn't the final "new" Beach Boys release. Although I guess The SMiLE Sessions could also qualify as that, and that would be a way better way to go out. Although I think an album featuring cool unreleased stuff like "Where is She?", "California Feelin'" '74, and "(Wouldn't It Be Nice) To Live Again)", topped off with like one or two new songs recorded by Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce (plus maybe Blondie, Ricky, or David) would be great, letting the guys celebrate their 50th anniversary with 2 awesome "new" albums, The SMiLE Sessions and the rarities album.
Jason
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 07:40:01 PM »

Joke of the week!
Is there a jokes thread?

The only way I can back up this claim is by having you listen to the stuff. I know you won't.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »

Joke of the week!
Is there a jokes thread?

The only way I can back up this claim is by having you listen to the stuff. I know you won't.

Let's have a link!!

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »

Joke of the week!
Is there a jokes thread?

I would certainly buy any new ML albums on iTunes.  Iʻm a completest.

Jason
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 08:05:39 PM »

Well, therein lies the problem. Michael's 2004 solo album is unreleased because, just like Al, no record company showed any interest; for some reason Michael has not considered digital distribution or it's merely something not that big for him and he seems happier to have it around as a shoehorn for us hardcores. Therefore you need to do a bit of detective work. Cool Head, Warm Heart ended up on the Hallmark CD, and Glow Crescent Glow (aka Love Like In Fairytales) ended up on a recent ESQ CD. It's generally a good album, about a 7.5 out of 10, and only because it does feature a few re-records in Everyone's In Love With You (its third version!), Glow Crescent Glow, Daybreak, Too Cruel, Brian's Back, and I Don't Wanna Know (all from First Love). The only real cringeworthy song on it is Pisces Brothers, with what are easily the man's most vapid TM lyrics. As far as vocals are concerned it's the best he's sounded since the mid-70s.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »

Well, therein lies the problem. Michael's 2004 solo album is unreleased because, just like Al, no record company showed any interest; for some reason Michael has not considered digital distribution or it's merely something not that big for him and he seems happier to have it around as a shoehorn for us hardcores. Therefore you need to do a bit of detective work. Cool Head, Warm Heart ended up on the Hallmark CD, and Glow Crescent Glow (aka Love Like In Fairytales) ended up on a recent ESQ CD. It's generally a good album, about a 7.5 out of 10, and only because it does feature a few re-records in Everyone's In Love With You (its third version!), Glow Crescent Glow, Daybreak, Too Cruel, Brian's Back, and I Don't Wanna Know (all from First Love). The only real cringeworthy song on it is Pisces Brothers, with what are easily the man's most vapid TM lyrics. As far as vocals are concerned it's the best he's sounded since the mid-70s.

I started my own record company and put my band's mediocre album on iTunes and Amazon via CD Baby.  ML could could do the same thing.  As I recall, he put Santa's going to Kokomo on iTunes himself.

Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 08:33:06 PM »

Here's the ultimate question, though: if Mike Love were to start his own cheap record label, what would he call it, if not Love Records?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 08:41:22 PM »

Here's the ultimate question, though: if Mike Love were to start his own cheap record label, what would he call it, if not Love Records?

Supportmyexes Records

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2011, 10:29:08 PM »

"“Don’t Fu%K with the Formula Records"

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2011, 12:28:20 AM »

Cousin Records

No mas, por favor.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2011, 01:07:26 AM »

I would say before the summer is out a announcement will be made for a 50th tour with a grand back-drop such as the White House or the Hollywood sign. The worlds media will click away of course and Michael will step forward to give details while the rest of the band mill about. It will be great!!!

But the problem to me is.....that band is the Rolling Stones!

The Beach Boys 50th Tour 1961-2012.  Do the math!

Better get a move on guys before you are upstaged! Embarrassed

Oh...and the line-up? Emotion aside its pure business. Nothing to do with who is the best or who should be there. It will be the band that has been touring under the name for the last 13 years and the one that will continue after the 50th blows past. No brainer...Mikes. Get over it people.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:12:39 AM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx