gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:18:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Retiring ?  (Read 11442 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 10:58:23 AM »

Hey guys, I think you're all forgetting that he's probably gonna do a tour with The Beach Boys next year. I bet he does that, and THEN thats probably it as far as touring.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 11:01:16 AM »

On the eve of the BB's 50th anniversary is as fitting a time as any to go out.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »

Hey guys, I think you're all forgetting that he's probably gonna do a tour with The Beach Boys next year. I bet he does that, and THEN thats probably it as far as touring.

You're probably right - he just meant retire as BW touring.

That and when he's sitting around the house in a few months the voices will be saying things like "you're running out of money" and "get your lazy ass out of here and go play some gigs".
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 11:31:30 AM »

I doubt he will and I hope he doesn't

Cheers

Richard
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 12:10:07 PM »

If he in fact retires after the London shows, then what does that say about doing any Reunion Shows? Is that now off the table for later this year or next?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »

That and when he's sitting around the house in a few months the voices will be saying things like "you're running out of money" and "get your lazy ass out of here and go play some gigs".

That wont be the voices , it will be Mrs. Wilson!
PhilCohen
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 01:19:33 PM »

Look: only one of Brian's ears has full hearing(the other ear has only 6% hearing). Why continue to risk damage to his one good ear via live performing? Several notable rock musicians have had to call it a day partly or totally because of hearing loss or tinnitus(ringing noises in the ears), notably, Phil Collins, Pete Townshend & Barry Gibb.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »

Look: only one of Brian's ears has full hearing(the other ear has only 6% hearing). Why continue to risk damage to his one good ear via live performing?

Kinda makes you wonder why he decided to start touring in the first place, over twelve years and 390 shows ago, doesn't it ?

Seriously, look at the stage settings for Brian's band -  they use ear monitors. The sound on-stage is far less than it used to be when he toured with The Beach Boys.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 02:00:17 PM »

That wont be the voices , it will be Mrs. Wilson!

I thought about that - the voices would probably be saying "you'd better do what she says or you're sleeping on the sofa again!"
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 02:10:32 PM »

Hopefully he'll do another show in San Francisco. I saw him perform at Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit back in I think 2006 but that was an acoustic show. Would like to hear some of that rock n roll music one last time.

No mas, por favor.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 02:14:34 PM »

I hope he doesn't retire because i want to see him perform again after I see him at the wolftrap show in Vienna, Va on June 6th.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 02:37:47 PM »

Good for him.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »

I think it will be best for him, in some respects.I think going out on tour is good for Brian in terms of his psyche, but it tires out men a third of his age. So long as he keeps active and recording, I think he'll be happy.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 05:23:15 PM »

I live in Oregon, and the closest spot to me on his summer American tour is in Iowa...
jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »

I, for one, would like to see Brian truly "solo". Picture it: Brian and a piano, period. I'm sorry, but Jeff Foskett's voice always crashes the party. You think Brian would play in my living room?
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 05:30:11 PM »

I, for one, would like to see Brian truly "solo". Picture it: Brian and a piano, period. I'm sorry, but Jeff Foskett's voice always crashes the party. You think Brian would play in my living room?

Install a sandbox and a tent and invite him over.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 05:52:21 PM »

I live in Oregon, and the closest spot to me on his summer American tour is in Iowa...

California is closer to Oregon than Iowa.  There are two BW gigs in California in August.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:29:21 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 06:10:38 PM »

So does this mean the Disney album will be his last? He's not even going to tour to support it?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
SG7
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »

Probyn Gregory commented on the article ESQ put out about it on facebook "umm, i have to say i believe this is a false assumption on the part of the reporter. brian said just yesterday to us here in london that he was having a good time and likes to tour."

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2011, 12:58:33 AM »

Quote from: bgas

Myself, being one of those typical "insensitive American"types, suggest  Brian retire now, before he embarrasses himself any further.

With respect, that not exactly what he said, anymore than he said Brits are "even more sensitive to the music than Americans."  Rock & pop stars have always traditionally said nice things about the crowd in the town they're playing.

He might even say Amerians are over-sensitive compared to Brits!

Brilliant Wee Helper

I am a sensitive Brit

Cheers

Richard
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2011, 01:02:02 AM »

Hope the man can have some peace and quiet (if he wants it), but regardless nothing sales tickets like a good ole hint at retiring
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2011, 01:03:30 AM »

Look: only one of Brian's ears has full hearing(the other ear has only 6% hearing). Why continue to risk damage to his one good ear via live performing?

Kinda makes you wonder why he decided to start touring in the first place, over twelve years and 390 shows ago, doesn't it ?

Seriously, look at the stage settings for Brian's band -  they use ear monitors. The sound on-stage is far less than it used to be when he toured with The Beach Boys.

I don't think Brian wears in ear monitors but yes Andrew on stage sound is now a lot less painfull than it used to be

Cheers

Richard
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2011, 01:05:51 AM »

Probyn Gregory commented on the article ESQ put out about it on facebook "umm, i have to say i believe this is a false assumption on the part of the reporter. brian said just yesterday to us here in london that he was having a good time and likes to tour."

From the Evening Standard interview:

Wilson, 68, admitted that life on the road was "very hard work" for him and that his dates at the Royal Festival Hall in September were likely to be his last in London. "I'm always afraid just before I go on stage because I'm not sure how the concert's going to work.

"As I get older it gets harder for me. But when I'm sitting down at the keyboard and my band's behind me, I can do it." When asked if he had contemplated retirement, he replied: "Oh God yes. Another year, maybe. This could be the last time I play here. I'm going to miss it but I'm getting a little bit old for touring."

Of course, that was yesterday.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2011, 01:39:00 AM »

From the Evening Standard interview:

Wilson, 68, admitted that life on the road was "very hard work" for him and that his dates at the Royal Festival Hall in September were likely to be his last in London. "I'm always afraid just before I go on stage because I'm not sure how the concert's going to work.

"As I get older it gets harder for me. But when I'm sitting down at the keyboard and my band's behind me, I can do it." When asked if he had contemplated retirement, he replied: "Oh God yes. Another year, maybe. This could be the last time I play here. I'm going to miss it but I'm getting a little bit old for touring."

Of course, that was yesterday.  Grin

This must be a misquote -  he said on the OneShow –also yesterday – that he loves touring. How can two answers effectively contradict one another on the same day? Are we talking about the same Brian Wilson?   Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2011, 01:44:48 AM »

Yes! Different day...different answer. Wink

BTW. Brian...I love you of course and good luck if the retirement is real. But the doubter in me says this is the best way to drum up interest in a tour.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:51:07 AM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx