gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:05:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would the remaining BB ever get together to record for the 50th anniversery?  (Read 18194 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2011, 08:26:05 PM »

I don't see Brian or Mike doing this, but maybe approving of it (as they prolly have to), but I could see Al and maybe Bruce putting together some "archived songs that we haven't heard."

Somehow, I could see them taking some of the rare stuff (not so rare to booters) but taking songs that are Beachy & cleaning them up like Goin' to the Beach, Almost Summer, It's a Beautiful Day, Skatetown USA, etc.

I honestly think that if they do put out another new release besides SMiLE, I kinda think Brian would rather write new songs than deal with old stuff, probably because they might "bring back bad memories" or something.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:54:43 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2011, 05:16:01 AM »

Can we hope for a "Stars & Stripes, Vol. 2" ?   Shocked

http://twitter.com/ZildjianCompany/status/71661552993976320

"Nashville studio legend Eddie Bayers recording Beach Boys 50th anniversary record! All surviving members are there." (via Twitter on May 20th)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 05:18:37 AM by Christian » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2011, 05:24:33 AM »

"Nashville studio legend Eddie Bayers recording Beach Boys 50th anniversary record! All surviving members are there." (via Twitter on May 20th)

ah geegs

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2011, 06:00:23 AM »

Is this f'real? If so ...  Huh If not ...  Huh
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2011, 06:58:32 AM »

If something like Stars & Stripes Vol.2 should happen and is similar awfully done as vol.1 then good night....... Roll Eyes Angry Cry

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2011, 07:18:06 AM »

Not up to speed with this thread so apologies if this has already been posted:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-contemplate-reunion-as-50th-anniversary-approaches-20110523

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Scotty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2011, 07:55:41 AM »

IF true, it's just one of the best studio drummers working/recording with the boys. And don't worry - Eddie is more a Rock'n Roll kinda drummer albeit he played on numerous country records.  Grin
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2011, 08:04:08 AM »

Agreed. Some great non-country albums have been recorded in Nashville.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2011, 08:44:13 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked

A new album being recorded? And we hear it first from a session musician?

If that's true, I just hope they're not re-hashing old hits. And please, PLEASE, no so-called "guests". I don't want to hear Lady Gaga or Justin Timberlake on what could likely be the Boys' last work.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2011, 09:15:27 AM »

Eddie Bayers played on IMAGINATION as well as STARS & STRIPES. I believe he was a contact via Joe Thomas. If this is indeed real, then it appears that the Beach Boys have decided to work with a guy who helped out on the last Beach Boys sessions, bypassing anyone in Brian's band or Mike & Bruce's band.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2011, 09:27:41 AM »

Nashville is home to a good number of non-country artists and songwriters including Jack White - I think the down-home yet urban atmosphere appeals to the creative types as much as anything, and there are some really nice studios there too with a lot of fine session musicians on call. I'm traveling there myself in the summer - it would be cool if they're still in town!

Although the idea of them working on a Stars And Stripes part 2 isn't too far out of the realm of reality, I hope whatever they do avoids the usual "reunion" cliches and focuses on good songs and good vocals. Leave the "guests" home for this one, keep it in the immediate family, I say.

I sure would like to have Hal Blaine on the sessions whatever they're doing...that would be a nice touch.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2011, 09:36:07 AM »

If that's true, I just hope they're not re-hashing old hits.

just a thought: do you believe that they had enough time to write new songs (and that's what Mike wants to do with Brian) ? Personally I don't think so. So if this is true I have a bad feeling about it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2011, 09:38:19 AM »

Get ready for this credit: "The Beach Boys featuring the cast from Glee"

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2011, 09:53:27 AM »

just a thought: do you believe that they had enough time to write new songs (and that's what Mike wants to do with Brian) ? Personally I don't think so. So if this is true I have a bad feeling about it

I'm sharing this thought/fear, actually. But wouldn't it be nice if they used some new songs...

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2011, 10:13:22 AM »

I'm sharing this thought/fear, actually. But wouldn't it be nice if they used some new songs...

Of course. It would be nice if they for one time could do something right. But it's the gosh darn Beach Boys....

- Jack Rieley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2011, 10:24:12 AM »

I'd rather Mike expand "Brian's Back" into a twenty minute epic featuring Justin Beiber and The Black Eyed Peas than have to suffer another Stars & Stripes.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2011, 11:05:45 AM »

I'd rather Mike expand "Brian's Back" into a twenty minute epic featuring Justin Beiber and The Black Eyed Peas than have to suffer another Stars & Stripes.
YOu can pretty much take every version of Brian's Back and make a "20-minute epic" out of it....that last one from Unleash the Love is pretty hard to get through...one thing, it's about the 4th or 5th time listening to the song and second, the sincerity and slowness of it just makes me wanna vomit....let alone how Mike has treated Brian around the time he recorded this.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2011, 03:46:06 AM »

I have no idea how to answer you back. You seem convinced of your opinion.

Well, actually I am! Grin And you're convinced of your opinion, too, aren't you? But as I said, it's ok to disagree, I respect your opinion, it's as valid as mine and so far I enjoyed discussing it! Smiley If you should discover sources that might change my mind, show me the links, if you want to, I'll check them out.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx