gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:02:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW on Later with Jools Holland next week on BBC?  (Read 15701 times)
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2011, 01:32:26 AM »

This isn't Bri's current full band is it?  No Darian, Taylor or Nelson?
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2011, 01:55:46 AM »

Jools Holland: "You know what song I like?  Tears in the Morning"

BW: "Yeah...?"

JH: "Will you be playing Tears in the Morning on tour?"

BW: "No"

Jools Holland.  What a tit.

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2011, 03:22:56 AM »

Brian is only in the UK for a few days of promotion I think. He probably only brought a scaled down version of the band to keep costs low. No Mike D Amico either. Good performances, although it would have made more of an impression musically and visually with the whole band IMHO. Was this the first time Brett Simons had a mic?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2011, 04:47:17 AM »

Classic.
If Bruce won't touch the damn thing what hope does Jools have of Brian performing it?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2011, 05:05:42 AM »

At least he didn't ask for "Happy Endings"...
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2011, 04:52:16 AM »

of all the great Brian Wilson songs Jools picks "tears in the morning" by Bruce. Unbelievable. How long did you say you were trying to get Brian on the show Jools? really?

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »

There's a new Youtube upload featuring the TCTTAFM and CG performances and the/an interview part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn6YJQ6sMzU

I dig the interview. Good ol' Brian. Stoopid question about "Tears In The Morning" though...

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2011, 08:20:57 AM »

Typical Brian performance. Too stiff and clearly not into it. Seems to loosen up toward the end for Good Vibrations.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2011, 04:58:35 PM »

He was getting so much love from that crowd during the show, however. Which was nice to see.

IMO, Jools Holland is one of the worst interviewers in the history of televised music, so I wasn't expecting much. At least he didn't ask about surfing or cars....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2011, 11:34:47 PM »

Did anyone else notice that the audience started to cheer and applaud before "They Can't take that away From Me" had ended? Goes to show how many of the audience had bought the Gershwin album.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:56:35 AM by the artist formally known as mike's beard » Logged

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2011, 11:52:44 PM »

Probably because they're told when to applaud...  Roll Eyes
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2011, 12:49:57 AM »

I thoroughly enjoyed myself, during the songs and during the interview. Brian was very much 'with it', and was a good interviewee. I found TCTTAFM much more lively than it is on CD. The album version sounds muffled and lifeless in comparison. Live, it is exciting and inviting to dance.

And, dare I say it: I loved the female go-go dancers too. Bit like the T.A.M.I. shows of old. Not a bad move by the producers.

Seems like I am a bit more enthusiastic about it all then the average poster here. That's O.K.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2011, 01:27:24 AM »

I'm with you Don. Liked the fact that all BW's performances were (tambourine and shaker not withstanding) percussion-free and semi-acoustic –  neat (albeit possibly necessary?) touch.

And I thought BW was quite polite in not correcting Joolz Holland's "Tears" gaff and while it looked to me that he thought the questioning was slightly (as always seems to be the case) banal, he let it go and didn't appear completely disinterested.

But hey, what GoGo dancers? You mean the women members of the band Warpaint?

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2011, 01:55:36 AM »

I'm with you Don. Liked the fact that all BW's performances were (tambourine and shaker not withstanding) percussion-free and semi-acoustic –  neat (albeit possibly necessary?) touch.

And I thought BW was quite polite in not correcting Joolz Holland's "Tears" gaff and while it looked to me that he thought the questioning was slightly (as always seems to be the case) banal, he let it go and didn't appear completely disinterested.

But hey, what GoGo dancers? You mean the women members of the band Warpaint?

LOL hehe, almost spilled me cuppa, dear laddie... I wasn't too bowled over by Warpaint (just another two-note two-chord doom band, what were these lasses on?). The Arctic Monkeys? Not for me, please.
I thought there were some fine girls dancing along, and put there deliberately by the producers. If so: good move.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2011, 01:58:48 AM »

I think the most rewarding part of the show was the reception that Brian got, and agreed about the Warpaint girls dancing - thought that was great.

I think my enthusiasm for Brian Live has probably run its course, and I hope that if he wants to stop touring he's able to do so. I've heard the argument that keeping busy with touring is good for his mental health, and there may well be truth in that, but he has to stop at some point and I do feel it is a case of diminishing returns now, since he's had some great press throughout his latter touring career: Pet Sounds Live, Smile tour etc.

Enjoyed the interview. I really think a slightly lighthearted, irreverant approach works well with Brian - brings out his humorous side. The Tears In The Morning comment was a bit of a gaff on Jools' part though.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2011, 02:17:11 AM »

Agree. Brian always struggled for the high notes the last few years but seeing the band covering those in GV's that he normally would do tells me his days as a live solo act are almost at and end.

Full circle next year in a reunion before retiring would be nice but if not I've, for the most part, enjoyed the last 12 years.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2011, 05:02:12 AM »

Having just watched the Brian segment, I thought it was pretty good stuff

- the interview was good fun - even TITM was cool by me - and the pigeons cracked me up
- CG and YCTTAFM were good solid performances - GV a bit dodgy
- wished he had the whole band cos GV is a killer live

Cheers

Richard
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2011, 10:05:09 PM »

Good Vibrations is always so hit and miss.  The version on the Roxy album is horrid in my opinion.  The version on the SMiLE dvd was great.  This version was horrible again.  It has something to do with the tempo.  If they get the tempo right usually it sounds pretty good. 

Brian seemed like he couldn't care less and at his age, I guess that's his perogative.  I'm not old yet so I don't know, but I guess your diaphram just gets tired and he didn't feel like exerting himself.  Seemed rather phoned in to me. 

What sucks, sucks, sucks about live performances like this, and I'm sure it's the same with any band... is that the general public will see this and think it represents Brian's extent as a singer.  His fans though know that not only was he once incredible, he still is a very good singer on a good night.  This was not a good night, lol. 

God bless 'em. 
Paulos
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2011, 12:20:38 AM »

Good Vibrations is always so hit and miss.  The version on the Roxy album is horrid in my opinion.  The version on the SMiLE dvd was great.  This version was horrible again.  It has something to do with the tempo.  If they get the tempo right usually it sounds pretty good. 

Brian seemed like he couldn't care less and at his age, I guess that's his perogative.  I'm not old yet so I don't know, but I guess your diaphram just gets tired and he didn't feel like exerting himself.  Seemed rather phoned in to me. 

What sucks, sucks, sucks about live performances like this, and I'm sure it's the same with any band... is that the general public will see this and think it represents Brian's extent as a singer.  His fans though know that not only was he once incredible, he still is a very good singer on a good night.  This was not a good night, lol. 

God bless 'em. 

I agree with you about GV, if the tempo is not right then it sounds crappy, regardless of who is performing it.
ghost
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2011, 09:11:12 AM »

Tears in the FUCKING Morning?Huh!!!!!

There's all these amazing Brian songs on Sunflower or Surf's Up if that guy's got the twofer releases, and he mentions a Bruce song?! He couldve inspired Brian do do an on the spot rendition of Don't Go Near The Water so we can hear that fade once again alive.

Or Our Sweet Love.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx