gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:31:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian loves the Lovin' Spoonful?  (Read 1795 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:45:32 PM »

So I've heard this mentioned before. I got a copy of Hums Of The Lovin' Spoonful and jeeze, I never knew this band was so freaking weird. Was Brian really a big fan of these guys? I've heard the story of Brian pulling over to the side of the road after hearing The Beatles and saying "they did it already", but something tells me that story is really about Lovin' Spoonful's Henry Thomas.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:30:22 AM »

Funny seeing this as just this last few days I've been really getting into The Loving Spoonful. Can definitely hear why Brian loves them. Hums is the best, but Daydream has some beaitufl tracks too.

Edit: Been working on a LS best of with focus on mellow Brian vibe. For those with Spotify, here's a link:

http://open.spotify.com/user/benkirchner/playlist/1EnmHaEUfqmn8ZnWgpAHZz The Lovin' Spoonful - Best Of
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:10:35 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 01:00:19 AM »

So I've heard this mentioned before. I got a copy of Hums Of The Lovin' Spoonful and jeeze, I never knew this band was so freaking weird. Was Brian really a big fan of these guys? I've heard the story of Brian pulling over to the side of the road after hearing The Beatles and saying "they did it already", but something tells me that story is really about Lovin' Spoonful's Henry Thomas.

Might just be me, but I don't see Brian being impelled to artistic despair by just under two minutes of second-rate hoe-down soundtrack.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 01:26:07 AM »

Was just a joke.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 02:05:02 AM »

Was just a joke.

Razz

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 03:27:00 AM »

Lol. You had me .. I love em though

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
mtaber
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 04:10:06 AM »

John Sebastian has written some of the greatest pop lyrics of all time.  Hums is a great album, the Spoonful never has gotten the respect they deserve.  Henry Thomas is, uh, interesting.  But Rain on the Roof, Summer in the City, Lovin You, and Nashville Cats are all spectacular.

Didn't Brian get together with Sebastian around the time of his '88 album?
And John's brother (Mark) wrote the basic melody for SITC.  He also had some interactions with Brian years ago.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 09:23:06 AM »

I don't know about Brian, but there are multiple interviews from 1966 where Dennis cites the Lovin' Spoonful as one of his favorite bands.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 09:29:53 AM »

I really dig the "What's Up Tiger Lilly?" soundtrack they did. Never bothered with the film itself as I just don't 'get' Woody Allen's humour.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 09:46:47 AM »

I really dig the "What's Up Tiger Lilly?" soundtrack they did. Never bothered with the film itself as I just don't 'get' Woody Allen's humour.
That movie was awesome! Gotta love those Yaki sisters (Teri and Suki!! LOL LOL LOL).

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx