gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:39:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New date for Smile sessions.  (Read 23485 times)
PhilCohen
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »

There is no doubt in my mind Smile Sessions is coming out. When will depend upon when the agreement can be reached within The Beach Boys that they all are okay with the package. I don`t see that taking too long once a final proposal is made. So patience is in order...and all the drama on these boards does nothing to make things happen any faster than it is meant to happen. I know the folks working on the project are TOTALLY committed to doing right by Brian and The Beach Boys and presenting something that everyone will be proud of.

Translation: even though Mike Love ostensibly put his signature on the dotted line to permit the "Smile" box, Love or his attorneys could still stop the release with objections to the liner notes or mixes.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2011, 09:24:18 PM »

Phil, I respect your right to your opinion, and perhaps your pessimism serves a sort of devil's advocate role on this board in reminding us that, yes, there does exist the possibility that something could go wrong.  Nonetheless, I have to believe that Messrs. Boyd and Linett and the folks at Capitol are fully aware of the ego(s) involved and are going to do their best to make sure all the principals are happy.

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2011, 09:46:07 PM »

As my colleague Oblio`s namesake in Nilsson`s The Point hears from the Rockman in The Pointless Forest, "you see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear."

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2011, 10:08:02 PM »

There is no doubt in my mind Smile Sessions is coming out. When will depend upon when the agreement can be reached within The Beach Boys that they all are okay with the package. I don`t see that taking too long once a final proposal is made. So patience is in order...and all the drama on these boards does nothing to make things happen any faster than it is meant to happen. I know the folks working on the project are TOTALLY committed to doing right by Brian and The Beach Boys and presenting something that everyone will be proud of.

Translation: even though Mike Love ostensibly put his signature on the dotted line to permit the "Smile" box, Love or his attorneys could still stop the release with objections to the liner notes or mixes.

Dude, get over it.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Jason
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2011, 10:34:11 PM »

Dude...Michael is just one more member of the band who has wanted a release of the Smile stuff as soon as Brian was ready to give the ok. Honestly, I think your devil's advocate role here is not to provoke intelligent discussion but rather to try and hang on to the whole notion that Michael never wanted the stuff released. As Joe said, "dude, get over it."
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2011, 10:48:41 PM »

Dude...Michael is just one more member of the band who has wanted a release of the Smile stuff as soon as Brian was ready to give the ok. Honestly, I think your devil's advocate role here is not to provoke intelligent discussion but rather to try and hang on to the whole notion that Michael never wanted the stuff released. As Joe said, "dude, get over it."

So Jonas stands for " your Joe-ness"  and his name isn't really Jonas?  I thought he was just that little bit away from the whale's mouth, but now...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2011, 01:59:59 AM »

No. Mike has not "ostensibly" signed (ostensibly: apparently or purportedly, but perhaps not actually), he has signed off. That isn't speculation. Capitol have learned their lesson from 1996.

Phil, there's reasonable caution, there's understandable scepticism, and then there's your Eeyore world view. You may not have noticed this over the last, oh, three and a half decades or so, but I'm pretty damn leery of most anything anyone says that emanates from the BB camp. How many times have I said "I don't believe this project will happen this year" since it was first rumored, let alone announced ? If for some reason it doesn't - and I agree that this is possible - it won't be down to Mike. For one thing EMI/Capitol is in a pretty financial pickle, and I'd imagine that if anyone had final approval, his initials would be BDW rather than MEL.

So, patience: sometimes no news is good news. Except, of course, if you're averse to good news.  Grin

As my colleague Oblio`s namesake in Nilsson`s The Point hears from the Rockman in The Pointless Forest, "you see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear."

Or as my father was wont to say, "can't tell someone something they don't want to hear".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:01:09 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2011, 02:02:50 AM »

^^^ Lovin the new avatar, AGD. Shouldn't you be looking through a striped window shade though?!  Smiley

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2011, 02:07:27 AM »

^^^ Lovin the new avatar, AGD. Shouldn't you be looking through a striped window shade though?!  Smiley

That would be too obvious. Also, that was in 1966... ;-)

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2011, 02:08:18 AM »

That would be too obvious. Also, that was in 1966... ;-)
Grin

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jason
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2011, 08:26:57 AM »

I'm waiting for Andrew's avatar to start belting out some classic Doobies!  LOL
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2011, 08:42:13 AM »

I'm missing the top hat already… what am I gonna do with my avatar now?

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »

I thought AGD had Jeff "The Dude" Bridges in his avatar

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Paulos
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2011, 05:44:48 PM »

From reading all the various SMiLE threads I have managed to come to the conclusion that Phil Cohen does not actually want there to be a SMiLE sessions release for reasons known only to him, please stop posting about SMiLE Phil as you are boring everyone to death.
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2011, 12:49:37 AM »

Thank you for your post! It is weird how one`s life changes from being an outsider observing to a partcipant to a part of the story. I have begun writing again recently for David at ESQ, and it is a wonderful departure from my regular job, which can be very intense. David Beard has kindly asked me to join the staff at ESQ, which I have accepted,and I am working on a piece now covering the post BB in Concert through 15 Big Ones era. I`ll be contributing an article to the Smile Sessions issue in the fall as well. I am reworking a 1992 article on the BW work outside the Beach Boys as well. Who knows what the future brings?

Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2011, 01:06:34 AM »

I'm flattered. Jeff, on the other hand...  Shocked

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2011, 01:37:41 AM »

From reading all the various SMiLE threads I have managed to come to the conclusion that Phil Cohen does not actually want there to be a SMiLE sessions release for reasons known only to him, please stop posting about SMiLE Phil as you are boring everyone to death.

Not so -  I'm finding it entertaining and it's good to have a voice of dissent; don't forget that a SMILE package has been on the cards several times before. And don't also forget what happened to the PS box first time around. This is BeachBoysLand -  until something happens, anything could happen, and even then they could rescind it.  I believe it'll happen but I respect (and empathise with) Phil's right to be skeptical.

And his mix is great!

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2011, 04:35:46 AM »

I'm flattered. Jeff, on the other hand...  Shocked

Hehe... I'd think that AGD is the very last person on the planet who is permanently 'enhanced' by the mellow weed, given the sharp and witty posts he's used to dispatch to this very board...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2011, 05:20:25 AM »

...or they've decided to perpetuate the SMiLE myth by bringing it this close to release and then scuttling it for another 46 years.
So true, won't believe it till it's in my hands. Even then I'll be skeptical.

We'll probably get a box full of Transcendental Meditation outtakes... ;P

/B
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:21:29 AM by bsten » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2011, 05:25:18 AM »

i for one enjoy phil's posts. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: