gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:43:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Free *PC* Software for recording my own music?  (Read 2692 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:42:35 PM »

I don't recall the program so many use for recording/editing their own music on a Mac and I have a PC anyway.  Is there any free software out there?  Just something really basic.  I am just a hack at this point but using the voicenotes on my Blackberry just doesn't cut it.  Smiley

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 07:58:04 PM »

Definitely check out Audacity:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Before I began to use Logic I used both garageband and Audacity. Audacity is a wonderful free recording program with as nearly as many tools and effects as garageband - just without the flair. It is somewhat more difficult to use than garageband (or even Logic), but you get what you pay for.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:16:32 PM »

Definitely check out Audacity:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Before I began to use Logic I used both garageband and Audacity. Audacity is a wonderful free recording program with as nearly as many tools and effects as garageband - just without the flair. It is somewhat more difficult to use than garageband (or even Logic), but you get what you pay for.

Thank you.  I will check it out now.  One more beginner question.  How do I actually record the music?  For example, I have an acoustic guitar with output (I can plug into an amp).  Am I feeding the guitar directly into my computer or is a mic required?  I suppose I'll need a mic either way for the vocals, but how does the guitar work, direct or with a mic?

I am really new to this, so thanks for your patience.

Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »

The cheapest solution is to buy a USB microphone. Companies like Blue make relatively inexpensive, good quality microphones that you could use for guitar amps or vocals. The advantage is that it's a standalone solution -- no external power or other hardware. The disadvantages are that you a) can't plug your guitar directly into the computer, and b) can only record one track at a time (i.e.: can't play and sing clearly at the same time)

If you're looking for something a step up from that, you'll need an audio interface of some kind. This converts an analog signal -- say, out of a regular microphone or guitar cable -- through USB and into your computer. Avid's Fast Track let you, for example, sing and play an electric instrument  simultaneously, each recording to its own track. And, by plugging the guitar directly in, you can use the effects that come with recording software (I'm not a guitar guy and thus don't know much in the way of guitar hardware, so I find the effects built-in to apps like Audacity to be very helpful). The boxes don't start cheap, though -- you'll be in the $80-150 price range, and you still need to buy a separate microphone, but in my opinion this is a worthwhile solution.

One last thing to note. It's common to refer to Audacity as a less-polished GarageBand; while that's true in some respects as far as raw power goes, there's a very critical difference. The effects in GarageBand, Logic, Pro Tools, etc. are non-destructive -- that is, you can tweak them, stack them, or remove them whenever and as much as you'd like without changing the original file, and it's all instantaneous. While Audacity is an amazingly good free program, the effects are destructive, so once you apply them, your sound is stuck that way unless you press Undo or copy the original to another track (which gets tedious after a while).
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 07:37:07 AM »

Adding to what Austin said above:

If you have an acoustic, I highly recommend the AT2020 USB mic:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AS6OYC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0006H92QK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=10YQD9FHRR0VSHPK755T

I bought this mic a little over a year ago and I have done some great recording with it. However, one thing you may want to consider: The overall quality really depends on how much RAM you have. If you have a fairly slow computer than you may have some issues with sound lagging. However, if your computer is normal to fast, I'd recommend the USB mic.

Another thing, if you already have an amp (that has a headphone output slot), and your computer has a "line-in" input (normally a 3.5mm slot that sits next to the headphone output) you can, with very little funding, get great sound into your computer from your amp. You will need a 3.5mm M/M cable (http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Cable-ST35MM-06-Stereo-3-5mm/dp/B002JCOX5U/ref=sr_1_18?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1304259182&sr=1-18), and you may need a M1/4 to F3.5mm converter (http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GPM-103-3-5mm-TRS-Adaptor/dp/B000068O3T/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1304259287&sr=1-1) (depending on whether or not your amp has a regular headphone jack output or a 1/4 headphone output).

Just plug your acoustic into your amp. Then plug the 1/4 to 3.5mm converter into your amp, then plug one end of your male/male 3.5mm cable into the converter. Then plug the other end into your computer's audio input slot. Go to your audio computer settings, and select "line-in" for your audio input. Open Audacity, and you should be ready to go.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »

Thanks for the great answers.  Things are going really well so far (given the "equipment" (my vocal and guitar abilities)).  One more question: is there a way to get rid of the "whistling s" problem I didn't realize I had?  It is slight and it doesn't happen all of the time, but it is driving me mad.  Any "studio trickery" that can cut that back or out?

FWIW, I am using Audacity and, right now, just playing and singing into the mic on my laptop.

Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:45:58 PM »

Hmm, can you elaborate?

By the way, I'll second the endorsement of the AT2020. I didn't know they made a USB version, but I have two XLR models and they're fantastic.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 07:08:02 PM »

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I just mean that sometimes when I am singing the "s" sound it whistles a bit.  Nothing drastic, but I notice it enough to want to rectify it.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 04:43:17 AM »

Back off from the mic, imo.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 03:38:48 PM »

Back off from the mic, imo.

I'll give that a try.  I don't recall where I was positioned in relation to the mic on the track where it is most noticeable, but perhaps I was too close.  That would be an easy fix, I hope that does it.

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 03:41:22 PM »

EDIT: Nevermind regarding the drum question.  I realized that I would either have to lay down the drum track first (which I don't want to do) or I will be recording drums while the rest of the track is playing...doesn't work.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:50:57 PM by mypetsounds » Logged

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 09:30:23 AM »

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I just mean that sometimes when I am singing the "s" sound it whistles a bit.  Nothing drastic, but I notice it enough to want to rectify it.

Changing the mic positioning can sometimes help with sibilance ('sssss' sounds). Dollar-bill distance from the mouth to the mic is a good rule of thumb.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx