gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:43:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite instrumentals  (Read 47256 times)
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2016, 03:53:20 PM »

kurt conain- do re mi

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2016, 04:46:43 PM »

I see the "unknown tune" has been removed. But you managed to hear it first...

Might it be this one, called "Rupert's Romp"? It's not on the soundtrack album...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYQbGEQKV6U
It's 2009 post, Larry deletes the links after expiration date. I downloaded those songs at the time they were fresh.

Yes, it is! Thank you.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2016, 10:09:18 PM »

oh so many, off the top of my head:
sleepwalk - santo and johnny
apache - the shadows (all the early Shad's stuff)
because they're young - duanne eddy
wonderland by night - bert kaempfert
sacha - hank marvin
morgen - the ventures
rumble - link wray
white rabbit - peter posa
i'll see you in my dreams - knopfler/atkins
alley cat - bent fabric
take 5 - dave Brubeck
guitar boogie - Arthur smith
nervous breakdown - brad paisley
albatross - Fleetwood mac
classical gas - mason Williams

that's a couple...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2016, 10:42:37 PM »

Link Wray's "Jack the Ripper" can't beat garagey version by The Raybeats. Shall check "Alley Cat". Prefer Jorgen Ingmann's "Apache". "Sleepwalk" was in soundtrack of Stephen King's "Hearts in Atlantis". Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, there's many cool instras, f.ex. "Oh Well".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2017, 03:48:49 AM »

I just happened upon this fascinating instrumental while checking out Andy Paley's musical past.

Rich Hopkins' band and Paley's were both called Sidewinders at one point.

I love that slinky moog line!

https://youtu.be/GhEc3-GD-qE

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2017, 03:35:58 AM »

I first heard this stunning instrumental on a tape I made of a radio programme about Frank Zappa made shortly after his death in 1993. I only discovered what it was yesterday afternoon! The studio recording of "Mōggio" is on Zappa's 1983 album The Man from Utopia

https://youtu.be/hMBpedq2_Qk

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2017, 09:49:21 AM »

I just happened upon this fascinating instrumental while checking out Andy Paley's musical past.

Rich Hopkins' band and Paley's were both called Sidewinders at one point.

I love that slinky moog line!

https://youtu.be/GhEc3-GD-qE

That's simply beautiful.  I'll have to check out more of his stuff.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »

Though I remember posting on here sometime about this subject, I was just making a playlist on the ol IPOD of all my fav instrumentals. I've been loving Manhattan Skyline for some reason from the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack lately.
Others I included:

Pet Sounds/Let's Go Away (of course)
After the Game (Survivors)
Apache
Brazil
Summer Means New Love
Miserlou
12-bar Blues (Beatles Rubber Soul outtake)
Diamond Head
Flying
Common (DW)
I've Got Plenty O Nuttin'
Rumble
Honky Tonk
Mrs. O'leary's Cow (66/04)

A specific version?

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2017, 04:26:09 AM »

Beatles "Cat's Walk" & "Mellotron Music No. 4".

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2019, 12:17:30 PM »

From the Beach Boys, its all about Lets Go Away for Awhile. Thats so much more dynamic and amazing than even something like Holidays or Fire. I used to love Look until I realized it wasnt meant as an instrumental. Somehow that killed the song for me, I just wanted to know what might have been.

The Saturday Night fever stuff is great too.

Third Stone From the Sun is fantastic, especially the little easter eggs.

Even tho I dont listen to it often, Interstellar Overdrive from Pink Floyd is Amazing, as is On the Run from DSOTM.

I like Embryonic Journey on Surrealistic Pillow only because its the perfect "White Rabbit's coming on next! Get hyped!" type track Grin

Theres probably a dozen others Im forgetting.

And if we're counting backing tracks too, the California Girls one is better than anything else ever recorded. Its better as an instrumental than it is with those cheesy chauvinistic lyrics in fact

I'd forgotten about this thread--and certainly about this post. Maybe I never even noticed it back then.

I gave up on DSOTM years ago, having always preferred WYWH. But it's thanks to this poster (and Beachcat) that I'm listening to it again now. So I'll go with "On The Run". :=)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4hkrk4FNdQ 

SBonilla
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2019, 12:39:26 PM »

Most of my faves would be in the loungecore/easy listening category:
Oh, Calcutta - Dave Pell
Stranger On The Shore - (Mister) Acker Bilk
Ravel's Pavanne - The Ventures
Lisbon Antigua & Route 66 - Nelson Riddle
South - Bob Wills
Footprints On The Moon - Johnny Harris Orchestra
The Minotaur - Dick Hyman
Turn Town Day - The Baroque Inevitable
Bond Street - Doc Severinsen
American Boys - Pete Fountain
Who Am I - Floyd Cramer
Playboys Theme (the ultra rare uptempo version on Capitol) - Cy Coleman
Soul Stuff (or any track from the album by) Steve Allen & Terry Gibbs

...and the list goes on and on and on and on...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2019, 02:57:01 AM »

Route 66 - Nelson Riddle

Love that signature tune! (So, I recall, does guitarfool.) It may be the finest driving song ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nbRoyJXSfQ

SBonilla
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2019, 04:44:35 AM »

Route 66 - Nelson Riddle

Love that signature tune! (So, I recall, does guitarfool.) It may be the finest driving song ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nbRoyJXSfQ

I love it, too. Exhilarating!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2019, 06:50:58 AM »

Coltrane's My Favorite Things, the greatest piece of music ever put on tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWG2dsXV5HI
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2019, 04:38:33 AM »

Coltrane's My Favorite Things, the greatest piece of music ever put on tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWG2dsXV5HI

To each their own, of course. I've tried both this and A Love Supreme but neither come close in my book to "Afro Blue":  Roll Eyes   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIH3fNUsbnA

From LeRoi Jones' liner notes to Coltrane live at Birdland:

"Afro-Blue, the long tune of the album, is in the tradition of all the African-Indian-Latin flavored pieces Trane has done on soprano, since picking up that horn and reclaiming it as a jazz instrument. (In this sense The Promise is in that same genre.) Even though the head-melody is simple and song-like, it is a song given by making what feels to me like an almost unintelligible lyricism suddenly marvelously intelligible. McCoy Tyner too, who is the polished formalist of the group, makes his less cautious lyrical statements on this, but driven, almost harassed, as Trane is too, by the mad ritual drama that Elvin Jones taunts them with. There is no way to 'describe' Elvin’s playing, or, I would suppose, Elvin himself. The long tag of Afro-Blue, with Elvin thrashing and cursing beneath Trane’s line, is unbelievable. Beautiful has nothing to do with it, but it is. (I got up and danced while writing these notes, screaming at Elvin to cool it.) You feel when this is finished, amidst the crashing cymbals, bombarded tomtoms, and above it all Coltrane’s soprano singing like any song you can remember, that it really did not have to end at all, that this music could have gone on and on like the wild pulse of all living."

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2019, 03:33:08 AM »

George Martin's "Theme One" used to wake me up every day in early 1974 (I used to leave BBC Radio One on all night and this was the first tune they played in the morning).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EVpvrDeVg8

The drummer sounds suspiciously like Hal Blaine at the end (those triplets)...

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2019, 08:05:46 AM »

Yes indeed! Route 66 is one of the most sublime pieces of music I've ever heard. I posted that one here a few years ago along with Take Five.

As I got more into binge-watching late-60's and early 70's private eye/detective/crime drama TV in recent years, I picked up a new favorite to add. As with many TV themes, it can be hard to find the version actually heard on the show's credits, because they'd often re-record a full album of themes and cues from the show to sell as an LP soundtrack. Peter Gunn's soundtrack was that way, the studio band and Mancini would record separate cues of the same songs for the show versus the soundtrack albums even though it was the same musicians playing the same charts, but it's so good it doesn't matter.

Anyhow that was the case with Lalo Schifrin's brilliant music for the show Mannix. One of the best TV shows of that era, highly recommended if you haven't seen it, and Lalo's theme is a terrific jazz waltz that fit the show's opening credits perfectly. Like Route 66. I saw an interview with Lalo where he said he was contracted to write two TV themes for competing networks who were doing pilots for private eye/detective/mystery shows. He went more traditional and expected for a crime drama with the other show, and went for something risky with Mannix, a pretty sophisticated jazz waltz that would be less expected for a show about a private eye - And remember this is the same Lalo Schifrin who had a big hit with an odd-meter theme for Mission Impossible during this same time period, one of the truly classic themes of all time.

So Mannix became the big hit and lasted something like 8 or 9 seasons and the theme went on to become one of those classics that people still remember, always associated with memories of the show and Mike Connors' classic character Joe Mannix. The other show I think lasted one season or something... LOL

The brilliant Lalo Schifrin and the theme from Mannix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usbl48E9ZFk

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2019, 09:12:12 AM »

Ever have a piece of music that brings you to tears from its sheer beauty? Of course. Ever have a scene from a film that brings you to tears because it was so well crafted, so perfect in its execution and all elements hitting just the right mark? Of course.

This one works as an example of both for me. The perfect marriage of film and music, and one of the finest films ever made. Is it an instrumental? I vote yes. The voices are wordless - They act as and were arranged as instruments, not delivering lyrics.

I've written about this one quite a few times before, but thought it was worth including again.

Burt Bacharach's "South American Getaway" from George Roy Hill's "Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid", one of the best of all time.

Trivia fans: That is the Ron Hicklin Singers (core group lineup) doing the voices, minus one of the Bahler brothers.

Adding to the "Mannix" post about soundtracks, Bacharach's "Butch Cassidy" soundtrack is different from what is in the film itself. Same arrangements, but different mixes and sessions. See the film for the full effect.

Adding to the cross-pollination and influences between Bacharach and Brian Wilson...go to roughly 2:10 in this clip and listen for a vocal section Bacharach wrote which could have come from Brian's "Smiley Smile" production...thanks to the fellow obsessive who pointed that out to me. Think Burt heard Smiley Smile? I do.  Smiley

So you really need to see the film to get the full effect...the perfect pairing of music and film, specifically the editing and camera work during the music montages Hill put in the film, like South American Getaway.

And for those who know and love the film, I made this GIF for one of my favorite scenes in any film, of any era. It's a blown take between Redford and Katherine Ross, but they left it in the film. Pure art, and a brilliant decision. It's real filmmaking, so what if it's a blown take and the actors bust up during the scene...it's PERFECT for that tiny little space within the film, and it humanizes the whole thing in a way few "blockbuster" films of the modern era would ever think of doing. Things are too perfect today...film, music....the humanity and reality is often edited out. Life is not perfect...the mistakes are often times the good stuff. Artists working at high levels of their art and talent can make those calls on the fly, and that's the stuff that is often brilliant if only for a few seconds in time.

Watch in this GIF Redford's facial expression followed by the beautiful Katherine Ross with one of the best blown-take laughs in all of cinema...set to South American Getaway by Burt Bacharach. Gets me every time.

And of course the song itself:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCRbs_aNa30
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 09:14:08 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2019, 06:17:30 AM »

"Soma" is an instrumental recorded by Dantalion's Chariot in 1967 but only released in 1996 on Chariot Rising, a comp of ten tracks by DC. Their wiki describes their guitarist Andy Summers (later of The Police) as playing sitar on the album. I'm no expert but I suggest the instrument being played here is a sitar guitar. (Summer's wiki page makes no mention of sitars.) Lovely track.     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbNAcSR40u4

beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2019, 07:43:59 PM »

Moody Blues - The Day Begins
Pink Floyd - One of These Days
Rush - 2112 (Overture)
Jethro Tull - Bouree

Dick Dale -Misirlou
The Lively Ones - Surf Rider
(Thank you Pulp Fiction for the introduction to those)

And, of course, all the Beach Boys' instrumentals, particularly,

The Rocking Surfer
Let's Go Away For A While

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2019, 08:22:50 PM »

Rush - 2112 (Overture)
Jethro Tull - Bouree
Dick Dale -Misirlou
(Thank you Pulp Fiction for the introduction to those)
The Rocking Surfer
I read about Rush in RS. Weird band. Which album to try? Any recommend?
Neat JT choice.
"Pulp Fiction" fan. In fact, I got "Misirlou" in Winamp that starts with Pumpkin's famed shout "Everybody be cool, this is a robbery!". It's def. the best song in film. Iconic.
Hey cool, you too like "The Rocking Surfer". It's such fun, isn't it? It's got humor side to it. & goofy mixed w/ joyful.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2019, 02:10:47 AM »

I like Embryonic Journey on Surrealistic Pillow only because its the perfect "White Rabbit's coming on next! Get hyped!" type track Grin

Haha. OK, I read you. Grin But I must disagree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1aft5wX6o

I found this cool description of "Embryonic Journey" not so long ago:

Long before the word “unplugged” became part of our common vernacular, an evocative instrumental, barely under two minutes long appeared on Jefferson Airplane’s 1967 opus Surrealistic Pillow. The first piece of music guitarist Jorma Kaukonen ever wrote, “Embryonic Journey” was a six-string meditation that encapsulated the mood of the 1960s as powerfully as any song of that era (with or without lyrics).

“ ‘Embryonic Journey’ made me sit up and take notice of Jorma’s remarkable acoustic playing,” exclaimed former Captain Beefheart guitarist Gary Lucas. “It is one of the most crystalline, beautiful compositions ever, right up there with John Fahey at his best.”

Blending modal sitar-inspired raga riffs with the Piedmont finger-picking style of Reverend Gary Davis, Kaukonen’s tune quickly became a favorite of DJs back in the days of free-form FM radio, who regularly employed it as either a lead-in or chaser to the news of the day, most of it bad, grim reports of inner-city riots or the escalating war in Vietnam. Fifty years later, that piece of music has been lodged in our collective consciousness.

[Source]

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2019, 02:11:15 AM »

Oops. Can't waste a double post now can we? This is Jorma Kaukonen showing you how to play "Embryonic Journey":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19YDHYO0Ue0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorma_Kaukonen
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:17:37 AM by JK » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2019, 04:06:47 AM »

While dusting and rearranging the contents of bookshelves this morning, I lent an ear to a big chunk of the debut album by Boards of Canada, a Scottish electronic outfit I'm utterly unfamiliar with. This gorgeous track, "Roygbiv", leapt out at me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMRLlSPt7ak

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boards_of_Canada

Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2019, 04:52:30 AM »

Chris Rea's No Work Today sounds as sweet to me today as it did when I first heard it in 1980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY1-uYFWEII

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx