gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:56:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite instrumentals  (Read 47239 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2015, 06:15:26 AM »

Good to My Baby backing track. I was listening to the GTMB sessions an hour on loop. Great stuff. I dare say this is the best song on Today, again. 3D

Side One of Today generally gets a raw deal, with all praise heaped on Side Two. Lotsa good stuff on Side One though, not least "GTMB". ;=) 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2015, 06:27:40 AM »

And it's very weird. They sweet-talk Today! telling about its greatness - couldn't this mean they should like both sides equally? But no, they just speak of melancholic 2nd side.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2015, 06:59:10 AM »

I love 60's surf instrumentals in general. A few that haven't been mentioned here that I love:

Mr Moto by The Belairs
Pipeline by the Chantays

and the whole soundtrack to "The Endless Summer" by the Sandals.
KDS
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2015, 07:32:03 AM »

David Gilmour - Red Sky at Night

Brian Wilson - Half Moon Bay

Genesis - Los Endos

The Beatles - Flying

Van Halen - Eruption

Rush - YYZ

Scorpions - Coast to Coast.   
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2015, 11:31:48 AM »

Anything from these albums (with the exception of "Boomerang" on The Children of a Lesser God Soundtrack)

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2015, 12:51:43 PM »

'Let's Go Away For Awhile', 'Pet Sounds', 'Mrs. O'Leary's Cow', 'Summer Means New Love' and 'Diamond Head' by The Beach Boys. Well, and 'Holidays' if it still counts.

'Sleepwalk' by Santo & Johnny

'Let's Go Trippin' by Dick Dale & His Del-Tones

as well as lots and lots of jazz, like 'So What', 'Blue Train', 'My Favorite Things', 'Take the A Train' and 'West End Blues'

Though I know it doesn't count, my favorite instrumentals are Beach Boys backing tracks, particularly 'Wouldn't It Be Nice', 'Let Him Run Wild', 'God Only Knows', 'Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)', 'California Girls' and 'I Get Around'.

Ah, how could I forget about the James Bond theme? I'm only a massive, massive James Bond fan. Along with that, I'd also say pretty much the entire Thunderball soundtrack by John Barry. My favorite Bond film and I love the music in it.

Speaking of film scores, damn near any John Williams movie score, especially for me, Superman, E.T., Star Wars, and Empire of the Sun.

Also the complete score to my favorite film, Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo, by Bernard Herrmann.

The soundtrack thing could be discussed in a seperate thread. I could go on forever about great film scores.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:58:54 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2015, 05:10:00 AM »

Focus........ Remastered version of " Hamburger Concerto "
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2015, 05:38:28 AM »

Focus........ Remastered version of " Hamburger Concerto "

A fabulous band in their heyday. I saw them in the Marquee Club in London in '72 and was blown away, particularly by Akkerman. Ye gods! My favourite of theirs has always been the brief "Tommy" on Focus II (Moving Waves)...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2015, 11:48:34 AM »

Ya......BuZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ-Sawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.  [and some kind of a wordless  vocal chant...and a 'd.j.' wrapping it up]

It's like saying Wipeout or Tequila aren't instrumentals.

That's a fascinating subject----where do you draw the line between an instrumental and a song? Many instrumentals include the title, often on several occasions ("Tequila", "Stoked"), others include whole sentences ("Hootsmon" by Lord Rockingham's XI) and still others, chanting or "toasting".

Does, say, "Hot Pastrami" by The Dartells qualify as an instrumental?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50wYkq8DaVQ

Or "Double Barrel" by Dave & Ansell Collins?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_7Kx2FlFQY

A fascinating "grey area"...     

KDS
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2015, 12:17:21 PM »

And it's very weird. They sweet-talk Today! telling about its greatness - couldn't this mean they should like both sides equally? But no, they just speak of melancholic 2nd side.

I think the upbeat numbers on Side One help make the ballads on Side Two sound go down.  I think it's a great album all the way through. 

BTW, the worst track is on Side Two - Bull Sessions with Big Daddy.  The only thing that keeps Today from being a perfect album. 
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2015, 01:13:56 PM »

"Surfboard" by Juan García Esquivel:   https://youtu.be/2NglD0H-cps

Listen, listen, listen...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2016, 04:08:45 AM »

This is for NOLA BB Fan, who I hope hasn't deserted us entirely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk0EyeuOPjs

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2016, 06:38:13 AM »

Thank you, kind sir. Still lurking but didn't want to post until I could think clearly.

Wonderful song! The piano at times is shades of Professor Longhair.

Among my favorites:
Cast your fate to the Wind

Blue Rondo a la Turk; Forty Days - Dave Brubeck Quartet

American Garage - Pat Metheny (got me up many a morning back in the early 80s)

Blue Men of the Sahara - Strength in Numbers
Metric Lips - New Grass Revival
Sinister Minister (and many others) - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »

Most pop instrumentals don't appeal much to me, with a few exceptions here and there over the years. But if we're including other forms--and I've seen jazz examples posted--then I've got a lot of loves. My offering here is one I've shared on this board before in other threads: one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard that fits the category is "Isfahan," a Duke Ellington/Billy Strayhorn composition highlighted by a melody performed by one of the finest alto saxophonists of all time, Johnny Hodges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbSlk6vY5Dc

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2016, 03:05:20 PM »

The backing track of Let Him Run Wild is so sublime and mesmerizing.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2016, 03:17:08 PM »

Most pop instrumentals don't appeal much to me, with a few exceptions here and there over the years. But if we're including other forms--and I've seen jazz examples posted--then I've got a lot of loves. My offering here is one I've shared on this board before in other threads: one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard that fits the category is "Isfahan," a Duke Ellington/Billy Strayhorn composition highlighted by a melody performed by one of the finest alto saxophonists of all time, Johnny Hodges.

If we leave pop this thread is blown wide open.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2016, 03:30:58 PM »

From the Beach Boys, its all about Lets Go Away for Awhile. Thats so much more dynamic and amazing than even something like Holidays or Fire. I used to love Look until I realized it wasnt meant as an instrumental. Somehow that killed the song for me, I just wanted to know what might have been.

The Saturday Night fever stuff is great too.

Third Stone From the Sun is fantastic, especially the little easter eggs.

Even tho I dont listen to it often, Interstellar Overdrive from Pink Floyd is Amazing, as is On the Run from DSOTM.

I like Embryonic Journey on Surrealistic Pillow only because its the perfect "White Rabbit's coming on next! Get hyped!" type track Grin

Theres probably a dozen others Im forgetting.

And if we're counting backing tracks too, the California Girls one is better than anything else ever recorded. Its better as an instrumental than it is with those cheesy chauvinistic lyrics in fact
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:32:00 PM by Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
KDS
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2016, 05:19:08 AM »

If we're talking Floyd instrumentals, I really like A Saucerful of Secrets, Atom Heart Mother, One of Those Days, Any Colour You Like, and Marooned. 

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2016, 03:13:23 PM »

If we leave pop this thread is blown wide open.

That ship has sailed.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2016, 07:51:18 PM »

I posted this in another thread but Mac Demarco has an entirely instrumental album for free on bandcamp. He's the best:
https://makeoutvideotape.bandcamp.com/album/some-other-ones

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2016, 03:39:51 AM »

Among my favorites:
Cast your fate to the Wind

Yes indeed. In this version, I assume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEwNaIQCduY

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2016, 06:31:45 AM »

Yes, that version (although the Sounds Orchestral version is okay).
Am a fan of the 'West Coast sound'.

As this thread apparently is supposed to be pop instrumentals, and most of the ones I listed earlier were different genres, here are a couple of pop favorites:

Soul Sacrifice - Santana
Jessica - Allman Brothers
Walk don't Run - Ventures
Telstar - The Tornados

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2016, 12:16:08 AM »

Once those 70s progsters got in on the act if became a whole different ball game...
For me Camel's complete Snow Goose album wins out every time... tho I loves me a bit of Wot Gorilla or Hackett's Soectral Mornings too...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:34:55 AM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2016, 12:23:51 AM »

Listening to Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant. I found the  former's called "king of Steel guitar" - well, he sure is. The recordings are quite innovative by the 50s standards. Favorite - "Midnight ramble".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2016, 02:10:40 AM »

This has always been a great favourite of mine but even more so on this sad day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0UrwusWcM

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx