-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:22:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317993 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: June 13, 2019, 11:38:09 AM »

Hello, people.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 07:45:59 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 08, 2019, 07:00:43 AM »

David Bret "Brit Girls of the Sixties Volume Three: Cilla Black, Sandie Shaw & Lulu" via Books google. It's interesting read, seems to be accurate regarding chart statistics about songs & detailed events' timeline - what Lulu did this/ that day, ditto 2 girls. But few info bits look suspicious. Case in point - Dionne Warwick hated Cilla, allegedly she said that she copied her verbatim, took her signature song deliberately. Much to Dionne's dismay, Cilla's cover brought better success than Dionne's. Can't imagine Dionne loosing sleep about it, tbh. Bizarre. Narrator, the Bret chap, says fame got to Cilla's head, she started acting like diva, demanding the best - cars, restaurants, even dressing room. It's revelation if credible - frankly, she doesn't strike it - she seems bubbly backed with easy-going. But maybe there's few things to Cilla than meet the eye. Anyhoo, fave chapter = Sandie Shaw, since out of 3 girls she to these ears possesses the best singing voice. I liked reading about her.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 07:13:03 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 13, 2019, 03:53:36 AM »

"Mommie Dearest" by Christina Crawford. 0/10. Puke-inducing disrespectful book rife with blatant rubbish. Playing victim to get public attention, to be famous via trashing mother = low. Shame to you, gurl. Boo! She waited schemingly when Joan Crawford ceases to exist to tell "the truth". She did it to be rich. If you hate mother, she destroyed childhood - change last name to de-associate with her. Did she do it? Did she? She didn't. It means they got along just fine, she fabricated entire thing, save Joan's clean house attitude since many colleagues knew it, 'Tina added to give credibility to the book. Even if - IF - anything in book took place, instead keeping it family business, she decided to tattle tale it internationally. Either way you look it - she is bad. Classless. Maybe jealousy at play. Crook. Loon. She still sickeningly continues telling about it like broken record. WE GOT YOU, NOW SHUT UP. Poor Joan, doesn't deserve it. I'm glad many don't believe 'Tina Dearest either, including the other 2 adopted daughters. If she did it to ruin "mommie's" legacy, she failed. Joan's still in many "Great Actresses" lists, films with her beloved by many, reading various such films' reviews. Seen few clips to adaptation - sheer manure. It's hilariously OTT rather than looking real. Faye Danaway plays Joan is whose stupid decision? They look ZERO alike. Joan is prettier, elegance thru & thru. The girl playing 'Tina is simply Z-grade acting, very inconvincing. Shan't waste time seeing this entire clownade.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 19, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »

I just finished, Sing to It, a collection of short stories by Amy Hempel that came out earlier. If you're a fan of Raymond Carver, you would like her work. This was a fast read.

Next on my stack is The Pale King, by David Foster Wallace.

And I just got a stock of books that I ordered through AbeBooks.com, including:
-The Nearest Faraway Place, by Timothy White;
-The Underground Railroad, by Colson Whitehead;
-Ficcones, by Jorge Luis Borges;
-And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie; and
-The Collected Works of Billy the Kid, by Michael Ondaatje.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:59:40 PM by Gettin Hungry » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 21, 2019, 06:03:19 PM »

-The Nearest Faraway Place, by Timothy White
-And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie
These'll be interesting reads.

Henrik Ibsen's plays. 3.5/5.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 28, 2019, 07:33:06 AM »

"The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" by Stephen King. It deceives by seemingly cool annotation. Main idea intrigues, visioned it to be adventurous & psychedelic. When read it - meh. 9-year girl deliberately gets into forest due to being ignored by teenage brother with divorcee mother, fed up by their non-stop bickering with feuds. Then she realizes she got little food/drink in backpack, attacked by mosquittoes, with mud puddles around, torrential rain starts amid her ruining the easily damaged poncho (btw, didn't know what people wear in rain is called poncho in U.S., here we say poncho when meaning western-like triangle loose sleeveless knitted garment) - she panics. Easily Top 10 dumbest book character. Age isn't excuse. The monologs really tried patience getting thru this amazingly dull read. & is it to believe that she could be, at such young age, huge baseball fan? She luckily took walkman with her & earbuds to hear humans, sports commentators describing baseball games & she actually magically (at 9 y.o.!) got every single baseball term, she got what commentators talked about with super ease. Granted, narrator flashes back to the times when their father lived with fam & times when she & brother spent weekends with him & he taught kids to be baseball fans, watched games together. Still, it's veeeery weird that little girl - girl - could be serious baseball fan, be meticulously aware about each team's name, each player's name yada yada. It's ridiculous, if you ask. Besides, how is it that daughter would be closer to father. I got why son, her brother, wished to live with father but shouldn't daughter love mother better? Stand by her 200%? It makes sense them being same gender, no? Again, weird. Adventures & troubles she experienced being lonely in forest isn't how I'd create & develop it if I been Stephen King. It's weak, not frightful in the least bit, isn't macabre as his short tales, it could be thousand times better. But, this psychology/ family relations issues stuff is especially in this book very-very cloying, missed chance, epic fail, annoying as hell. In short, zero sympathy to any character, everybody's just boring & stupid beyond, jeez. 0/5=0/10.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 02, 2019, 07:25:10 AM »

"Scarecrow Walks At Midnight", Robert Stine. 10/10

I read it at 12, liked it immediately, re-read it many times since then in different years. Like today - still favorite in Goosebumps series. It isn't exactly the scariest, yet village atmosphere, barns, corn fields, high grass give book the edge. Sth. about it is unsettling. I def. knew I'll like it when reading title - big big big scarecrows fan in horror. It's fascinating figure - what's behind poor guy with 2nd-hand beaten garments? What he does for living? Doesn't he wish to revenge secretly? Will he guard fields when villagers hit the hay or will he step down & eat crows who ridiculed his fright powers? Billion dollar questions.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 04, 2019, 06:51:18 PM »

"The Dead Lifeguard" (Fear Street series by Robert Stine). 3.5/5. Nice whodidit, liked "Lindsey" who isn't really Lindsey but Marissa. Glad she isn't dead AND the killer. Puzzled? Tongue

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 07, 2019, 10:56:07 AM »

Random discovery: Wrath James White "Population Zero". Few pages began well, it then rapidly went repellent. Halfway right now, it's going to be difficult to get to its end.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 07, 2019, 02:36:34 PM »

Random discovery: Wrath James White "Population Zero". Few pages began well, it then rapidly went repellent. Halfway right now, it's going to be difficult to get to its end.
Finished book - 0/5 = 0/10.

Next'll be Radii Pogodin "Where Are You, WhereAreYouWhereAreYou?". Really enjoyed this book way back when. It's listed in splendid colorful "Little People" series. Pogodin is very good writer with interesting, *at times* surreal language, little bit like less fantasy-laden Ray Bradbury, i.e. he isn't too out there. He's little bit philosophical, yet accessible. Book named is few interesting tales with many different characters.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 09, 2019, 04:07:01 PM »

"Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories To Stay Awake By". When at "high school" age, I made really belated transition to literature for grown-ups. I still went to kids' library room. But, nice lady librarian, with kind gullible eyes behind glasses, asked why I still visit kids' library, I can get to different auditorium now, she said. Well, I obeyed & discovered such many books to my adventurous macabre taste. I immediately liked it - 1st books I discovered been these cool collections with Alfred Hitchcock in the cover - same image but different colors. I read green, red, dark-blue books. Sadly, it's 3 colors found in shelves. It's weird I reccognized Hitchcock's name, I didn't see any films by him back at school. I lived in lil town with just 3, at times 2 TV channels, including entirely sports channel dusk till dawn showing just sports commentators in various sports games plus commercials, i.e. dullfest. It leaves single channel that got normal mishmash schedule - news to films to TV games to talk shows yada yada. They aired "North By Northwest" many times but I didn't catch it even single time. It's when I went to college I developed DVD-buying spree, nearly daily would buy them, spending scholarship to it. Mainly horrors & suspense. Back then, DVD with even 16 films in it, even entire 50-episode TV series in single disc cost just 100 roubles. I read it's now 350 roubles, licensed - 500. Anyhoo, I found disc with Hitchcock films. I usually slyly bought DVDs with many films in it - by actors, directors, themes (f.ex. "New horrors No. ###"). Passed by DVDs with single film in it. Anyhoo, I read Alfred Hitchcock "Various Writers" collection books in the dark & really enjoyed such reality escape. The book I read right now - didn't finish yet but like the initial tales - is sth. new, I don't rmbr any the titles listed in The Contents. Good. Then it must be different Hitch collection, as green, red, dark-blue didn't get subtitled similarly "Stories To Stay Awake By".
Fave short tale -  by now - is "Splintered Monday" by Charlotte Armstrong.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 10, 2019, 11:40:26 AM »

I read Gidget, by Frederick Kohner, which was a fast and fun summer read. I've been slowly making my way through The Pale King, by David Foster Wallace. I'm also still in the middle of Mystery Train, by Greil Marcus. Maybe with the weather cooling down, I'll be able to make faster progress.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 11, 2019, 12:26:24 PM »

I'm also still in the middle of Mystery Train, by Greil Marcus. Maybe with the weather cooling down, I'll be able to make faster progress.

Probably the best book I've read about pop. The massive "Notes and discographies" section at the end will blow your mind--if the rest doesn't blow it first. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 12, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »

I'm also still in the middle of Mystery Train, by Greil Marcus. Maybe with the weather cooling down, I'll be able to make faster progress.

Probably the best book I've read about pop. The massive "Notes and discographies" section at the end will blow your mind--if the rest doesn't blow it first. Grin

Part of the reason it's taking me so long to read is the number of books and recordings I want to make note of to check out.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 18, 2019, 06:19:20 AM »

I'd seen its screen adaptation in 2012-13. Didn't think back it lives to its cult status, save the song about willow which I really liked & like. Despite its designation, it didn't frighten. It should. Annotation says book's interesting, with chapters/ events cut by film's script. Read few pages by now. Cool thing about it I'll imagine smb. else than Deborah Kerr as governess - she's not convincing actress.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: September 24, 2019, 03:19:33 AM »

Reading at present - few pages in - book I clicked randomly in web library "Rat Race" by Dick Francis. Anybody read this writer? What did you think?
Mentioned book starts pretty interesting.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 28, 2019, 09:35:35 PM »

"Rat Race" by Dick Francis.
6/10.
Main hero: nice & meh simultaneously
Quirkiest development: richest horse racing star who should be spoiled by fame actually helps the main guy, poor pilot in poor small airline company where staff is just 3-4 people doing several jobs at a time, & this guy changed his workplace many times, never stayed too long than few weeks/ months in previous employments, failed many times, divorced with wife bitterly & she keeps sending him envelopes to remind time to pay alimony when he's got very meagre wage & it pays nearly entire alimony - rich guy genuinely befriended this poor guy, in such quick time to boot, as in right when they 1st met? He even let him sleep over in his big house, just like that! Even added "You can stay in my house anytime, just say it". Wow. Is such luck even plausible? Sure rich guys can be kind & generous (umm...maybe) but still, akin to fairy tale. Thee rich famous sports guy is even OK to be poor guy's future brother-in-law, he's *glad* that his young sister & poor guy get to like each other in romantic way, when they quarrel seriously, he actually takes poor guy's side! Can you believe it? Instead supporting his blood relation. Utterly bizarre. Rich guy even defended poor guy in cases when it's not his business to defend. Smb. talked arrogantly with poor guy & this rich guy stands up to him & sharply interrupts the arrogance-filled speech. His defending poor guy could cost him losing many other rich people's friendships, yet he insisted to be friendly to smb. who is way lower class. I couldn't believe when I continued reading it. It got weirder & weirder till they're best buds forever. What made him bond with poor guy aka the main book hero? Is it his simple attitude, considerate nature, kindness that he found very refreshing to see in human in his corrupt greedy horse-racing business world with cold-blooded colleagues? Is it poor guy's sense of humor that won him over, his sordid past yet strength to overcome that past, his readiness to help injured beaten threatened people who he had no business to deal with, yet interfered in fighting with baddies, which could bring him enemies & he'd be silenced by murder, that touched the rich guy? Try to get it & lose thinking thread.

Next anomaly is duke who possesses horses that participate in races, the other rich guy, sympathizes poor guy & they hit it off instantly. Lucky again, poor guy makes friends with 2 rich guys without any shenanigans, butt-kissing tricks, by just being natural self. Granted, getting friendly with duke is easier than rich sports guy signing autographs - he is surprisingly very kind, casual, well-mannered & especially gullible. Rich, titled duke, spends time in luxurious places, yet gullible & naive. Wonder how he retained his fortune without anybody trying to steal it (they will but near book's end).
In fairy tale events, duke tells poor guy to be his manager/ assistant/ main pilot which is poor guy's dream work, he likes to fly, duke gives him permanent stable employment & may even add him as heir, n additikn to his biological nephew, school boy who interestingly got the same name as poor guy. This is fantastically big luck, refuse to believe. Talk about getting acquainted with right people in right time in right place.
Setting: usually dislike sports-themed novels but this been easy to follow plus it takes place in the air, it's not 100% about dealings & intrigues to win biggest money in horse-racing.
Ending: happy, except ambiguity regarding main hero's fate. He fell bleeding in the back to the ground (thrown at distance knife). The end. Did he die or will ambulance quickly get there & stop bleeding, he'll live?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 29, 2019, 10:04:39 AM »

I've heard the name Dick Francis but haven't read any of his works.
Was able to find a volume containing four of his short books including Rat Race.
Will give them a read when I find some time.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 20, 2019, 08:08:17 PM »

Two books read recently:
Finally finished The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. It took a long time not because it wasn't a good book (it was great) but because it was so sad to read. It was the story of the "Great Migration " of African Americans from the Southern to Northern or Western US, to escape Jim Crow laws that discriminated against them. In some cases they had to sneak out. The bad thing was that the areas they migrated to had their own prejudices. The book shows how several people were able to somehow overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles .

The other book I read rather quickly - The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral.History of 9/11 , compiled by Garrett Graff. I learned a lot of things about 9/11 that I didn't know, and I have read and viewed countless documentaries about it.
The obsession is a result of wondering how would I have fared if I had been in one of the Towers? I've come to the conclusion that I would have died. I would have possibly gotten down from the immediate danger but would have probably conked out about half way down.  I mean, what was the hurry? I would never have thought that the buildings would collapse.  Undecided

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 20, 2019, 08:09:35 PM »

James Bowen "Gift From Bob: How Street Cat Helped One Man Learn The Meaning Of Christmas". Cozy book to read with cup of tea. Charmingly written, with wit, humor, cat cheekiness & kindness. 10/10.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 25, 2019, 09:27:18 AM »

James Bowen "Gift From Bob: How Street Cat Helped One Man Learn The Meaning Of Christmas". Cozy book to read with cup of tea. Charmingly written, with wit, humor, cat cheekiness & kindness. 10/10.
Re-read. Hey NBBF catch this book - Amazon? Library? Kindle (stupid title)? This that, blah blah.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: November 10, 2019, 02:23:14 AM »

This wondrous book seems to have broken my reader's block. Just when you think you've discovered all you're ever going to discover, you get slammed out of the blue by a subject you would have scoffed at a matter of weeks earlier. It's a funny old world.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: November 23, 2019, 11:58:02 AM »

Stephen King "Willa", "Gwendy & Button Box" (w/ smb. else) - respectively 0/10, 0/10. Big blunder spending paper to create the each.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: November 30, 2019, 05:35:54 PM »

Stephen King short tale collection. 0/10: free, frequent expletive use. Due to it, lengthy detailed describing things (zzzz, anybody?), it's difficult to see interesting aspects that can be in book.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: November 30, 2019, 11:48:34 PM »

I'm reading the autobiography of Etta James right now. Man, she had a rough life.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: