-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:31:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317860 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 21, 2019, 06:08:04 PM »

Answer to thread question - who cares.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:43:18 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 22, 2019, 12:57:00 AM »

I care and enjoy reading posts about books!   Grin
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 02:46:22 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 22, 2019, 01:22:45 AM »

Answer to thread question - who cares.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:42:03 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 07, 2019, 05:57:31 PM »

Would like to read Jane Austen book but she's got many. Which to choose.
Recent read: "The Mezzotint" by M. R. James. 2/5.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 09, 2019, 06:17:14 AM »

Can't help much with Jane Austen. I'm slowly reading Sense and Sensibility but am not familiar with the other books. Pride and Prejudice has been highly praised. I saw a TV adaptation of this (the one with Colin Firth).

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 09, 2019, 10:22:41 AM »

My wife is a huge Jane Austen fan, and she said if I was going to read just one, then it should be Persuasion. It was pretty good. It seems like Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice also rank highly.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 19, 2019, 03:25:13 AM »

I'm rereading this very edition (date unknown) of The Great Gatsby:

With thanks to my friend across the ocean for turning me onto it. Smiley

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 19, 2019, 06:50:51 AM »

I saw a TV adaptation of this (the one with Colin Firth).
Never seen it. What's it like? I see the cast includes Joanna David who played Girl in "Rebecca", TV mini-series with great Jeremy Brett. Literally she's single name I recognize in that cast.

Also, what's the difference which edition? Content's the same, yes? Case would be made if it's different translations we talked here.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:57:19 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 19, 2019, 07:06:07 AM »

Also, what's the difference which edition? Content's the same, yes? Case would be made if it's different translations we talked here.

Assuming you're talking to me: content's the same, yes. I'm just saying that my copy of TGG has the same cover painting by Kees van Dongen as in the picture. Smokin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 19, 2019, 07:41:47 AM »

RR1 - I mentioned Colin Firth because this was his "breakout" role that made him famous. I'm not familiar with the other cast members. It was a multipart miniseries that was quite excellent.
Also, some English language books can have different editions with some different text. The edition can add text that was removed earlier . A good example is Little Women. Someone decided that some slang words used wouldn't be known to readers so they were changed. There were other changes as well .

jk - Maybe I'll give it another chance. I read The Great Gatsby in High School for a class and have read it twice since then, trying to be more enthused.Maybe the fourth time is the charm! :-)

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: May 19, 2019, 08:12:06 AM »

Ha yes, suspected that's why the namecheck. Didn't work, heh. Idk, say, 80% famous people. :D Anyhoo, what's really excellent about it, can't you tell?

Annoying. Leave the book AS IS. I'm extremely against this revisionism. Do they even indicate the changes made that I pick the real deal written by writer?

NB This cursive book title stylizing really is sickening. Cheesy

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 19, 2019, 09:24:23 AM »

jk - Maybe I'll give it another chance. I read The Great Gatsby in High School for a class and have read it twice since then, trying to be more enthused.Maybe the fourth time is the charm! :-)

I saw the Leo version of the film before I read the book, which had remained untouched on my bookshelf for decades (I'd found it on a plane). I eventually read it because my young friend raved about it last year (she ate, slept and breathed it at High School) and I love it now. It's concise--the man needs few words to say an awful lot, and every line's a winner--so nobody can say it's daunting.

Fourth time lucky? You never know!  Wink

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 19, 2019, 10:18:10 AM »

Ha yes, suspected that's why the namecheck. Didn't work, heh. Idk, say, 80% famous people. :D Anyhoo, what's really excellent about it, can't you tell?

Annoying. Leave the book AS IS. I'm extremely against this revisionism. Do they even indicate the changes made that I pick the real deal written by writer?

NB This cursive book title stylizing really is sickening. Cheesy

Sorry about the font. I guess it looks different on various systems, as to me it's not a cursive script.
That miniseries was acclaimed because of the acting and that it was faithful to the script . However I have to take their word for it as I haven't yet read that book.
I don't have the book any more (it's at the library) but with Little Women, the problem started I think when it was published in the UK. Some slang words were changed or eliminated . Also some chapters were cut. This affected the foreign translations, so I assume if you read a Russian translation of the book it was the version with the changes.
Maybe when you get to the U.S. you can check in the bookstores for the book - it should be easy to find and hopefully it's the original version.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 19, 2019, 05:00:55 PM »

I said book titles in cursive ("The Great Gatsby" & "Little Women"). Don't use it, folks. Smiley If you graciously listen to this humble plea, I shall try not to use "text speak" (c) sth. & smb. that lotta people said in pm's & publicly over years that it really annoyed/s them big time. Deally deal? Wink

To rephrase previous question - how can I be sure that, when I'm in U.S. book shop, I picked book without changes? Does it point to it in books - "This is book without changes, the way the writer intended it to be written as"? Or shall I wade thru many editions, sit down & read each to find out? Why not make it easy to readers & simply leave books as they are? Sorry but it's highly ridiculous to change it due to people not being familiar with slangs. Now what kinda reason it is really? Gee wilkers. So, people don't know what's "bilge" when Jo March repeats it. &? It's easy to get by context what she says, i.e. same as "damn" / "rubbish"/ b-word/ s-word.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 19, 2019, 05:33:57 PM »

Okay I won't do it ( "cursive") again . I didn't understand what you meant by it - cursive to me is the formal way of writing in which the letters of a word are joined together; a lot of students here in the US aren't learning it anymore and it's causing a bit of a controversy. I didn't consider something simply bolded and italicized as being "cursive." Anyway I won't do it any more. Mea culpa!

About getting original version of Little Women - there might be wording at the front of the book indicating whether or not it's "abridged" ( shortened) or other wording on the back cover. Might have to ask person at bookstore.

Did that also with Harry Potter - The first book was The Philosopher's Stone but I guess the powers that be thought we Americans were too dumb so over here it was called "The Sorcerer's Stone"
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 05:47:39 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 19, 2019, 07:21:46 PM »

Thanks. I'm used to it being cursive (translit. "kursiv"). Where you live you say "italics". It's fine. Misunderstandings take place.

Yet the film internationally - "Sorcerer's Stone". Strange. What do you think about "coffee table books"? Many say it's useless - pics with minimal to zilch written info, mentioning "too heavy to carry".

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 19, 2019, 08:56:40 PM »

Coffee table books can be nice, I guess. But they can be expensive, and I don't have a coffee table.
One book I really liked growing up that my parents bought - it was a book of incredible photos of old, crumbling homes and plantations. The author/photographer, Clarence John Laughlin, had a gift for working with lighting, multiple exposures etc, to create photographs that were eerily beautiful. I could imagine ghosts in them .Appropriately, the book is called Ghosts Along the Mississippi :-)

The closest I have to a coffee table book nowadays is The Beach Boys in Concert lol.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 22, 2019, 01:20:24 PM »

Coffee table books can be nice, I guess. But they can be expensive, and I don't have a coffee table.
One book I really liked growing up that my parents bought - it was a book of incredible photos of old, crumbling homes and plantations. The author/photographer, Clarence John Laughlin, had a gift for working with lighting, multiple exposures etc, to create photographs that were eerily beautiful. I could imagine ghosts in them .Appropriately, the book is called Ghosts Along the Mississippi :-)

The closest I have to a coffee table book nowadays is The Beach Boys in Concert lol.

That was my coffee table book for a while. It got me through some dark times. These days it's this:

It's full of fascinating pictures of jazz clubs and club life in pre-war Rotterdam, before the 1940 bombardment reduced most of the city centre to rubble. 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 28, 2019, 03:06:33 PM »

"Old Curiosity Shop" by Charles Dickens.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 01, 2019, 02:53:40 PM »

Book.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 01, 2019, 04:36:41 PM »

My best friend, Andre, brought over some mirlitons (a type of squash popular here) from his backyard. I used some of them to make a vegetarian casserole for him. Then he told me he was going to a huge book sale and asked if I wanted anything. I said that I wanted to read some less heavy books. I asked him to look for books by Ellis Peters. I have her first Brother Cadfael book (mystery series set in a medieval monastery) "A Morbid Taste for Bones." He came home with 4 paperback books from the series - "One Corpse too Many," " The Holy Thief, " "The Summer of the Danes," and " The Rose Rent. " Looking forward to reading them this summer.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 02, 2019, 07:43:48 AM »

My best friend, Andre, brought over some mirlitons (a type of squash popular here) from his backyard. I used some of them to make a vegetarian casserole for him. Then he told me he was going to a huge book sale and asked if I wanted anything. I said that I wanted to read some less heavy books. I asked him to look for books by Ellis Peters. I have her first Brother Cadfael book (mystery series set in a medieval monastery) "A Morbid Taste for Bones." He came home with 4 paperback books from the series - "One Corpse too Many," " The Holy Thief, " "The Summer of the Danes," and " The Rose Rent. " Looking forward to reading them this summer.

Congrats, E.  Smiley

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 02, 2019, 10:40:31 AM »

Cool. You got some friend who buys you books for free. I'd tell that chap to sprint to sale to buy Charles Dickens, Alexander Grin, Zakhar Tozzev, Kafka, John Grisham. Would cook sth. easy & fast - plain omelette/ sandwiches with expired jam/ fried fruits/ dried bread slices to crisp, i.e. really tough to teeth. It'd be good exchange - free books & good food.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 02, 2019, 11:02:29 AM »

It was a book sale in which the money raised would go to our Symphony Orchestra. The books are a lot cheaper than if I would try to get them at a store. I asked for those Ellis Peters books because they are only available at our Library as ebooks or audiobooks.
I have a bunch of Dickens books already and they are also easy to find at the Library. Grisham as well. In my present state of mind I need to lay off the Kafka. Am not familiar with the other two you mentioned.

Grin looks to be interesting although he only has a few books/stories translated.
Wasn't able to find anything in English by Tozzev
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 11:08:51 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 02, 2019, 11:16:16 AM »

It read like you made bargain - you cook Andre food, they buy you books for free, i.e. *they* pay & give as free gifts. Hence the good exchange reply. As you can see, I like easy cooking, expired jam gets used which still tastes kinda/ little bit good. Which means, if I treat the chap to such good food (see below reply), I may as well tell them to buy expensive books, not just sale.

Reply to the edit: A. Grin is famous with his marine books about sailors & stuff. They usually tend to be adventurous yet kinda poetic, yet with simple to comprehend narrative. Does it make sense? Best I could explain.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 11:21:41 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: