-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317937 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 19, 2019, 03:25:41 PM »

Sorry RR, for not answering . Didn't see your post listed in the queue of posts when I checked it this morning.
I find Miss Marple a little more laid back.I can curl up in a chair and relax. I definitely don't feel that way reading Sherlock. H Poirot is in between .

Place in the woods - land my parents bought almost 60 years ago for next to nothing price wise. It was then out in the middle of nowhere but there has been development. But our house and 12 acres (don't know offhand what that measure equals in Russia) is still a bit isolated. A lot of trees were lost in the last big hurricane (so many lost that we were essentially trapped at the house until people could hack away and create openings) but more trees have sprung up. We have been nursing a bunch of longleaf pine trees, a nearly endangered species in our area. I will be long gone by the time those trees reach maturity.
I'm trying to establish a meadow area outside the house . Also trying to restore an oriental garden my Father built up over 20 years ago and was also damaged in the hurricane.
Wish I could spend more time over there as there's so much work to do, and is also very peaceful.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 30, 2019, 05:40:27 AM »

I'm periodically reading Hector Berlioz's captivating, often hilarious and sometimes heartbreaking memoirs in the stunning translation by David Cairns. Last night I read it with Mr B's own L'Enfance du Christ blaring and a large glass of whiskey to hand (life sometimes calls for it).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SBonilla
« Reply #702 on: March 30, 2019, 07:32:29 AM »

obits.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 30, 2019, 07:45:33 AM »

Boots, good books.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:59:46 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 30, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »

Jk, thanks for mentioning Berlioz's memoirs. He's a favorite of mine. Went online and put it on my "wishlist" to read later when I get through some of the other books in my huge pile.

SBonilla, unfortunately that's become a routine. In reading the daily newspaper I work all the various puzzles , and check the obituary page.

RRA1 I prefer short horror stories, particularly if they contain some "gallows humor" . Stephen King has written a bunch of them. Is Horacio Quiroga worth checking out?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 09:19:05 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: March 30, 2019, 09:59:47 PM »

Nancy Sinatra. She's good book shopper.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:56:52 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 31, 2019, 05:38:33 AM »

Jk, thanks for mentioning Berlioz's memoirs. He's a favorite of mine. Went online and put it on my "wishlist" to read later when I get through some of the other books in my huge pile.

You're welcome, E. I always open it with a feeling of dread (it's the same with every book these days) and love every line of it. And the chapters are short. Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 31, 2019, 08:24:31 AM »

Yes, I love books with short chapters !
I use an e-reader sometimes and it indicates how long it would take to read a chapter. I groan when it indicates "1 hour 30 minutes left in chapter" as it's hard for me to have the time to read it in one sitting, unless I'm away from home at the coffeehouse. Thankfully some books have breaks within their chapters so I can find a good stopping point.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 31, 2019, 09:00:06 AM »

Boots.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:54:28 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 31, 2019, 11:26:24 AM »

I read about Quiroga. He had a very tragic life. I think his horror stories must have been ways of coping with this. Will give him a chance although I don't know that he is "my cup of tea." I checked and it's hard to find things by him in English.

I will check out the other links you provided later on. Dealing with a sprained right ankle now - at least I hope it's just sprained, not broken!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 31, 2019, 02:32:17 PM »

Nancy Sinatra's boots.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:53:25 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 31, 2019, 05:00:17 PM »

I thought "Feather Pillow" was terse. There was no character development. Even though it was very short it would have been more interesting if it was written in the girl's perspective - what she was thinking when the horror was happening, why wasn't anyone helping her, etc.

I'll check out the other links when I can. Trying to deal with my foot injury - so much had to be done and I can't do most of those things right now. Grrr!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 31, 2019, 06:19:34 PM »

Bookshop.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:49:24 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 31, 2019, 06:52:26 PM »

I had just left a Church service. It was raining so I tried to take a shortcut to my car. Big mistake!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 02, 2019, 05:55:45 AM »

Book.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:47:55 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 02, 2019, 10:00:25 AM »

I just finished My Friend Dahmer, a graphic novel about Jeffrey Dahmer by Derf Backderf, who went to high school with the serial killer. It was a pretty interesting read, and it also has some local interest for me as the events of the book take place not far from where I live.

I'm also in the middle of The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, by Carson McCullers, and Mystery Train, by Greil Marcus.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 02, 2019, 01:01:20 PM »

I just finished My Friend Dahmer, a graphic novel about Jeffrey Dahmer by Derf Backderf, who went to high school with the serial killer. It was a pretty interesting read, and it also has some local interest for me as the events of the book take place not far from where I live.

I'm also in the middle of The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, by Carson McCullers, and Mystery Train, by Greil Marcus.

Now that is a wonderful read! I'd be interested to know what you think of it when you're finished, GH. Wink

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 02, 2019, 06:45:18 PM »

Well, it didn't make sense but would like you check the links, especially youtube ep "Flypaper". It's must-see. It slightly differs than Elizabeth Taylor's short tale (linked below as well) but better. As usual, what's interesting big time to me is reviews. Lemme know what you think about it. Even better if it's not short review, detailed. Ta in advance.

It did have a bit of a surprise ending. I knew there would be a "twist" and assumed that the man would turn out to be good and the woman bad. And I liked that it left the reader "hanging " with various scenarios possible . Of course the mention of the flypaper and the half dead flies was disconcerting...

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 02, 2019, 07:22:32 PM »

Few books.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:46:30 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 03, 2019, 09:06:20 PM »

Watched episode. It was good but the story was better. There's still the surprise ending but in the film it was obvious that the guy was up to no good. In the story there was always the possibility that he was just very "eccentric."
 She was playing " Fur Elise" on the piano.Guess everyone who takes piano lessons has to learn that. I also had to learn it - played it better than she did but not as well as the other student lol.

Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: April 06, 2019, 05:40:14 PM »

Recently started reading Sound Therapy by Patricia Jourdy

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 18, 2019, 03:19:15 AM »

I've just finished reading "How It Could Have Gone Down", a fantastic fanfic by a good friend of mine that takes the mess that The Walking Dead has become, reinstates a couple of important and well-loved characters that were killed off for no good reason and brings it all to a mind-blowing conclusion.

You can find it in the top link in my signature. Heartily recommended by someone who's familiar with the gist of TWD but hasn't seen a single episode!  Grin

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 21, 2019, 12:39:34 AM »

Answer to thread question - who cares.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:45:09 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 21, 2019, 09:33:54 AM »

Answer to thread question - who cares.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:44:30 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 21, 2019, 03:06:46 PM »

Decided to re-read the James Herriot vet books (such as "All Creatures Great and Small." )
Got a whole set of his books from a used book dealer.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 02:44:38 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: