-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:08:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317877 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 15, 2016, 12:58:06 PM »

Finnegan's Wake? Um...waitissomeoneatthedoorgottagobye.

Isn't that a word from Finnegan's Wake?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 15, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »

I've just been reading Bubs's hilarious "contribution" to Rocky's book. I'm still laughing. 

Smiley

What? Finnegan's Wake? Um...waitissomeoneatthedoorgottagobye.

I actually started reading A Portrait... (and Dubliners) as a sort of primer for Ulysses. Which itself is a primer for Finnegans Wake. A Portrait, thankfully, turned out to be a great book in its own right, and I'm looking forward to reading Ulysses at some point. Finnegans Wake, on the other hand, I am not looking forward to. I sat down with it at a local bookstore a while back for about 30 minutes, understood none of it, and then promptly put the book back on the shelf and left the store.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 15, 2016, 01:45:53 PM »

I've just been reading Bubs's hilarious "contribution" to Rocky's book. I'm still laughing. 

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23026.msg565599.html#msg565599
It's brilliant.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 21, 2016, 04:27:36 AM »

2 of my favorites that I read going to school - Monteiro Lobato's "Yellow Woodpecker Farm" & Gillian Rubinstein's "Space Demons". The last one is a trilogy, I'd like to know what happened to the kids in the 2nd & 3rd eps.

These are the versions of the covers I have:

As you see, they're both published under the same series "Little creatures". I have all the books by these series. Btw, "Space Demons" was translated by a well-known children author Irina Tokmakova. She has one of her books in the series as well.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:30:00 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 21, 2016, 04:53:38 AM »

What have I been reading? OSD's hilarious YouTube comments about Mike's solo stuff... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 21, 2016, 05:00:32 AM »

I thought you don't like OSD? You posted pictures of yawning guy in response to his posts (& ofc Smile Brian's, rightly so).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 21, 2016, 05:11:33 AM »

I thought you don't like OSD? You posted pictures of yawning guy in response to his posts (& ofc Smile Brian's, rightly so).

The comments are hilarious because they are so predictable ("Tripe. Who's gonna listen to this sh*t?"). You can't accuse him of not being consistent. Smokin   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 21, 2016, 05:14:32 AM »

The comments are hilarious because they are so predictable ("Tripe. Who's gonna listen to this sh*t?"). You can't accuse him of not being consistent. Smokin   
I see. Though I'm willing to give the old guy benefit of the doubt. But not SB.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 21, 2016, 10:16:13 AM »

After all the Joyce talk I re-read some Dubliners stories yesterday. They remain great. Shocking.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #284 on: March 21, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »

Gary Clayton Anderson - The Conquest of Texas: Ethnic Cleansing in the Promised Land
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 21, 2016, 11:16:52 AM »

Gary Clayton Anderson - The Conquest of Texas: Ethnic Cleansing in the Promised Land
Let me know how it is please.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #286 on: March 21, 2016, 11:27:18 AM »

I'm really enjoying it. What has become accepted history (and poular entertainment and folklore) but seen from another angle
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 21, 2016, 11:29:48 AM »

Any books about California that you can advise?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 21, 2016, 12:46:48 PM »

Today I stopped into a bookstore to get "Boys Among Men," a book about the '90s and '00s phenomenon of high school stars going directly into the NBA. While superstars such as Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James were among those who did quite well for themselves going this route, there were also plenty of people who weren't able to stick, or even make, the league. The practice has since been banned by the NBA and its players union (in, I think, 2006 or so). The author is Jonathan Abrams. I look forward to reading it, being both from the state that took on the modern pioneer of the phenomenon (Kevin Garnett) and being a gigantic NBA (and even more so, NBA Draft) nerd.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KDS
« Reply #289 on: March 21, 2016, 01:00:13 PM »

I'm actually currently reading Mark Dillion's 50 Sides of The Beach Boys.  It's pretty good so far, I'm about 3/4 finished.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 21, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »

Any books about California that you can advise?

Not just about California but it figures prominently. And, of course, there's that Beach Boys connection.

I found it a heart-warming read.

Anyone else read it?

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 22, 2016, 10:56:06 AM »

The Great River by Paul Horgan Pulitzer Prize winner in history about the Rio Grande

If it runs amuck, call the duck
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 26, 2016, 12:01:04 PM »

I picked up the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of Nikolai Leskov's "The Enchanted Wanderer and Other Stories." Having been a big fan of their Dostoevsky, Gogol, and Tolstoy translations, I am pretty excited about it. I also got Geza Vermes's "The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English."

MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 26, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »

Hi all,

Liberty Weekend by Nevada Barr
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: March 26, 2016, 01:37:30 PM »

I picked up the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of Nikolai Leskov's "The Enchanted Wanderer and Other Stories." Having been a big fan of their Dostoevsky, Gogol, and Tolstoy translations, I am pretty excited about it. I also got Geza Vermes's "The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English."

Interesting choice.  Do you know anything about the translation method used?  Also, does complete mean complete?  For example, more than one Isaiah scroll was found, including one complete scroll.  Is each one translated or is each variant noted in a single translation?  Or is it not completely complete?

EoL

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 26, 2016, 02:06:46 PM »

Interesting choice.  Do you know anything about the translation method used?  Also, does complete mean complete?  For example, more than one Isaiah scroll was found, including one complete scroll.  Is each one translated or is each variant noted in a single translation?  Or is it not completely complete?

EoL

Re the "interesting choice," I've been reading (and finally almost finished) Robert Eisenman's "James, the Brother of Jesus," which as you may know tries to make the case that Paul is the "Wicked Priest" and James, or someone associated with him, is the "Teacher of Righteousness." While I find parts of that book fascinating, I find other parts unlikely. Regardless, when I saw a used copy of this, I figured it would be a great idea to have direct access to some of those scroll-books mentioned so often both in Eisenman and other books on the topic I've got. So now I've got my own copies of The Community Rule, The Damascus Document, etc.

I don't know the translation method at all, though presumably it's addressed somewhere within the book. But Vermes is certainly a well respected scholar in the field, and this version is praised by Lawrence Schiffman, so I'm pretty comfortable that it's not trash, anyway.

Regarding the completeness, no, it's not literally 100% complete. It doesn't include Biblical books or the smallest fragments. Vermes says in the introduction "While this translation does not claim to cover every fragment retrieved from the caves, it is complete in one sense: it offers in a readable form all the texts sufficiently well preserved to be understandable in English." He goes on to direct readers who want a literally complete translation of all texts to the more purely scholarly sources.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #296 on: March 30, 2016, 02:18:02 AM »

Re-reading Catch 22 and would like to read this:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/the-genesis-of-joseph-hellers-catch-22.html
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 03, 2016, 01:47:23 PM »

After pausing halfway through Dubliners, I've been reading some Kafka (which I understand almost none of) and finished "The Metamorphosis" today.
The one thing that strikes me most about this story is Gregor's cool detachment from his bug plight. He seems oddly accepting of it.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: April 03, 2016, 05:13:31 PM »

Captain,

Thank you for the explanation.  I had not looked at the data in a long, long time and was not considering just how many scrolls were found.  Kind of becomes a silly question to ask if it is complete.

Do you know of any work that collates the Biblical texts (amongst the scrolls) in terms of text-types (TR versus Alexandrian, or whatever method of categorization is current)?  I would be interested in such information and I suppose an analysis of this kind is out there...

EoL

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 03, 2016, 06:05:28 PM »

I'm sorry, I don't understand this:

in terms of text-types (TR versus Alexandrian, or whatever method of categorization is current)

My education on these things is almost entirely independent (minus the conservative Lutheran upbringing, which frankly doesn't include scholarly work at all), so even if I did, I am pretty sure I can't answer the question. I just want to know more about what you mean.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: