-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317889 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #250 on: February 25, 2016, 10:10:33 AM »

I asked about interesting info on musician's biography.  trivia about music. your "tiny" comment didn't seem to be about music. I'm not sure what the rolling eyes is for.

Afro
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2016, 05:41:58 AM »

And just what does his hairstyle have to do with it?!?!? Oh my god, my head is exploding.  Grin

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 26, 2016, 05:50:01 AM »

Emily and 1-1-wonderful, thanks for the suggestions. I've read several of them (Bulgakov, Gogol, and Wilson) but not several of the others. I've been reading Sarah Hall's short stories in The Beautiful Indifference but will look into some of those others.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 26, 2016, 06:38:44 AM »

I recently read Time's Arrow and Zone of interest by Martin Amis

Both powerful takes on the Holocaust wildly divergent from one another or anything else
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 01, 2016, 06:46:50 PM »

I bought these today. I plan to read them.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:46:18 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 01, 2016, 07:15:27 PM »

The Joyce and Kafka books are two of my favourites.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 01, 2016, 08:09:51 PM »

I sense the metamorphosis will be right up Bubbly Waves' alley. Bubbly Waves, have you read any Ionesco?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:11:19 PM by Emily » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 01, 2016, 08:15:11 PM »

Bubbly Waves, have you read any Ionesco?

No, I don't think I've ever heard of him/her.
Why do you ask?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 01, 2016, 08:17:22 PM »

Why do you ask?
He was a major proponent of the 'theater of the absurd' movement, of which your writings remind me.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 01, 2016, 08:53:18 PM »

Why do you ask?
He was a major proponent of the 'theater of the absurd' movement, of which your writings remind me.

Interesting. I'll have to check him out.  Smiley
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: March 02, 2016, 04:43:49 AM »

Domain of Being/Ontology, by Celestine Bittle.

I'm not sure my image link is going to work but if it does, it is just going to be a solid blue, hardback cover, not even for the book I'm reading but another in the same series which looks exactly the same except for the title on the spine.

What it is about:

In essence, virtually all of philosophy can be broken into two groups, realism and idealism.  Bittle is a moderate realist, as am I.  I am reading this book (and most of the series) because though I've read more than my fair share of philosophy throughout the years I have never systematically worked through my position, so I am attempting to do that now.  

Why it is important:

As at any given time in history we are being governed (whether externally or internally or both) by one of these two systems, in one way or another, and usually more ways than one, through academia, government, literature, news, etc, it seems good to familiarize oneself with both systems.  Yet I have found most people are unaware of either system, though examples can be multiplied of where these ideas overlap and directly influence our day to day lives.  Why then should one be governed unknowingly by these things rather than knowingly?  Perhaps one will find one prefers one system to the other and will take steps to align oneself accordingly.

EoL
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 05:23:25 AM by Empire Of Love » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 02, 2016, 05:05:10 AM »

I'm not sure my image link is going to work but if it does, it is just going to be a solid blue, hardback cover, not even for the book I'm reading but another in the same series which looks exactly the same except for the title on the spine.

This one?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: March 02, 2016, 05:24:08 AM »

This one?

That is the one, or at least an instance of it.   Smiley

bluesno1fann
« Reply #263 on: March 04, 2016, 06:22:22 PM »

Cloudstreet by Tim Winton. Though it lacks a coherent structure, it's definitely a very interesting story that spans several decades in the lives of two families living in the same house.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 05, 2016, 03:56:56 PM »

Kafka's The Castle. Not really sure if I get this...

This is my reaction to Faulkner's the Sound and the Fury, which I am submerged in.

This, in my opinion, is one of the greatest novels ever written. Top 5, at least, for me. Would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Okay, finally got around to finishing it. I sure read a great deal less when I'm around a computer.
Anyway, I'm still not really sure what to think. I feel like I'm missing so many important details.

Wow, was anyone else aware of the entirely wretched-looking James Franco film adaptation of The Sound and the Fury? What the f*** is that guy doing
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 05, 2016, 04:01:53 PM »

This is my reaction to Faulkner's the Sound and the Fury, which I am submerged in.

This, in my opinion, is one of the greatest novels ever written. Top 5, at least, for me. Would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Okay, finally got around to finishing it. I sure read a great deal less when I'm around a computer.
Anyway, I'm still not really sure what to think. I feel like I'm missing so many important details.

Wow, was anyone else aware of the entirely wretched-looking James Franco film adaptation of The Sound and the Fury? What the f*** is that guy doing
Was not aware. The idea makes me a little queasy.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 05, 2016, 04:09:09 PM »

Was not aware. The idea makes me a little queasy.

Just wait 'til you see the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs6rYmlP2oM.
It all goes seriously downhill in a record-breaking 6 seconds.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:10:38 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 05, 2016, 05:00:34 PM »

Excuse my language but sh*t. What's that face he's making?
I'm going to go throw up now.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 11, 2016, 08:47:49 PM »

I've been reading a lot of Joyce lately. Stephen Dedalus' interactions with Eileen are so pained yet beautiful, and they're easily my favorite parts of this book (so far). The way he talks about her slender, pale fingers, or the episode at the rail station. I love it. Or the way he casts himself as Monte Cristo, gloomily replying, "Madame, I never eat Muscatel grapes," as he stands in her rose garden. Or the way it all topples over, and he finds himself stalking the streets of Dublin looking to find prostitutes. It's all gorgeous, romantic writing.

But now I find myself near the end. I've read about 40 pages of Stephen being an amateur philosopher and my head is spinning.

Also, reading the priest describe hell is probably the closest I've ever been to repenting for my sins.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:58:05 PM by Bubs » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #269 on: March 12, 2016, 09:36:47 PM »

I wish I was reading the Norm Macdonald memoir. Supposed to be coming out sometime later this year.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 09:57:22 PM by Golden Raisins » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 13, 2016, 06:26:10 AM »

I've been reading a lot of Joyce lately. Stephen Dedalus' interactions with Eileen are so pained yet beautiful, and they're easily my favorite parts of this book (so far). The way he talks about her slender, pale fingers, or the episode at the rail station. I love it. Or the way he casts himself as Monte Cristo, gloomily replying, "Madame, I never eat Muscatel grapes," as he stands in her rose garden. Or the way it all topples over, and he finds himself stalking the streets of Dublin looking to find prostitutes. It's all gorgeous, romantic writing.

But now I find myself near the end. I've read about 40 pages of Stephen being an amateur philosopher and my head is spinning.

Also, reading the priest describe hell is probably the closest I've ever been to repenting for my sins.

I love this book. The angry political conversation around the table near the beginning of the book resonated quite a bit when I read it.

I agree with your point about it being gorgeous, romantic writing. The other day I picked up Ulysses and read about ten pages of it, not to really get into the story but to instead just briefly inhabit Joyce's world. I feel like the same is true with a writer like Faulkner who I believe you read before. You can just read a little bit and instantly know who the writer is.

Currently, I'm reading a great collection of Chekhov's short stories.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 13, 2016, 06:27:45 AM »

I wish I was reading the Norm Macdonald memoir. Supposed to be coming out sometime later this year.

I hope it comes out! Norm is content to spend the bulk of his time doing stand-up but I'm sorry that he is unable to do movies or tv shows the way he'd like to do them. He's a brilliant comedian as far as I'm concerned.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 13, 2016, 03:14:04 PM »

"I had never spoken to her, except for a few casual words, and yet her name was like a summons to all my foolish blood."

I love James Joyce.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 14, 2016, 02:59:19 PM »

I've just been reading Bubs's hilarious "contribution" to Rocky's book. I'm still laughing. 

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23026.msg565599.html#msg565599

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 14, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »

I haven't read any Joyce in almost 20 years. I'd read Dubliners. Loved it. Read Portrait. Loved it. Read a few hundred pages of Ulysses. [Time passes.] And then the same few hundred pages of Ulysses. [Almost 20 years pass.] As smart as I felt I must look riding the bus to and from work, arrogant young-20-something I was, I felt that dumb. I just felt wholly unqualified to read it. But as for the other two I mentioned? You've actually inspired me to pull them off the shelf and read them again.

What? Finnegan's Wake? Um...waitissomeoneatthedoorgottagobye.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: