-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:29:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317955 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2015, 05:13:25 AM »

This:  http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/the-art-of-noir-by-eddie-muller-review.html

Full of superb artwork.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 27, 2015, 07:05:24 AM »

I had yesterday off and wandered into a used bookstore. Hopefully I keep up the discipline to work through what I picked up.

Currently reading: aforementioned "Iron Curtain" and "Inerrant the Wind;" then the new "James, the Brother of Jesus," (a secular book of biblical criticism--not a religious study) by Robert Eisenman; and the novel "Then We Came to the End" by Joshua Ferris.

Then I also picked up some Gunter Grass, Hans Fallada, Ivan Goncharov's mid-19th century novel "Oblomov," whom and which I'd never heard of but liked the looks of, and "Policy Paradox: the Art of Political Decision Making," by Deborah Stone.

That should keep me busy this summer.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2015, 04:45:22 AM »

"What are you reading?" The Graveyard School series, author: Tom B. Stone. Current favorite - "Abominable Snow Monster". Back in school, I used to read horror fiction, going to library to pick what's available at once so nobody else gets to read them (rest assured, lotta teens liked scary tales). Wouldn't give them back for very long. That's me. Anyway, was nice to now find the whole series online. Maybe someday I'll download it. Just in case.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2015, 09:01:12 AM »

I had yesterday off and wandered into a used bookstore. Hopefully I keep up the discipline to work through what I picked up.

the novel "Then We Came to the End" by Joshua Ferris.

It's a great book. Very funny and quite touching in places.

I recently finished Wizard of the Crow by Ngugi wa Thiong'o (possible Nobel laureate), a satire (or accurate depiction?) or Kenyan/African politics, which was superb, and i'm currently reading Mo Yan's Red Sorghum, set in 1930s China, a small village at war with the Japanese. I'll watch the film once i've finished the book.

And i've got Alan Moore's Watchmen lined up next on the bedside table.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2015, 03:27:04 AM »

I'm reading new edition of comics "Calvin & Hobbes". It supersedes "Garfield" in my eyes.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2015, 10:41:58 AM »

Kafka's The Castle. Not really sure if I get this...
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2015, 10:45:53 AM »

I'm not really sure if that's a joke or not! If so, it's a good one.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2015, 02:52:51 PM »

It isn't, but I didn't mean to sound arrogant either if that's how you read it. I'll write more thoughts when I finish the book, I'd like to read your thoughts on it meanwhile though.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2015, 03:11:25 PM »

This is my reaction to Faulkner's the Sound and the Fury, which I am submerged in.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 29, 2015, 03:30:06 PM »

It isn't, but I didn't mean to sound arrogant either if that's how you read it. I'll write more thoughts when I finish the book, I'd like to read your thoughts on it meanwhile though.

I haven't actually read The Castle -- I've read The Trial, Metamorphosis, and a few other short stories.

Your comment didn't sound arrogant at all -- it's a completely understandable reaction to reading Kafka. I thought it might be a joke because Kafka always puts his characters into situations that they don't and will never fully understand. There's always something inexplicable. Kafka deprives his readers of this knowledge too. When someone uses the phrase "Kafkaeseque" that tends to be what they mean.

I have the book on my shelf and can't wait to get to it. Let me know your thoughts when you are done.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 29, 2015, 03:30:45 PM »

This is my reaction to Faulkner's the Sound and the Fury, which I am submerged in.

This, in my opinion, is one of the greatest novels ever written. Top 5, at least, for me. Would like to hear your thoughts on it.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 10, 2015, 03:06:41 PM »

Finished Red Sorghum, by Mo Yan. Very violent in places, but enjoyable and not overly long (330 pages).

I also just finished, for the first time, Watchmen, by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. I haven't read much in the way of graphic novels, but this was superb. An in-depth take on the (alternative) reality of costumed superheroes, and I was impressed by how much narrative detail was packed into the pictures. The Incredibles owes a big debt to it.

I'm currently reading China Mieville's Kraken. A supernatural tale set in London about a cult kidnapping a giant squid from the Natural History Museum. Anyone else read any Mieville?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2015, 12:46:42 PM »

Transl: Irreplaceable way to fight off boredom anytime any place! International CLUB OF ERUDITES ... . 366 quizes for every day ... . Pt. 1 Bought it yrs ago, then it cost 55 roubles.
Besides, I got to finally read "Shogun" by James Clavell. Well what to say? I liked it. . .just as I did the mini-series with Richard Chamberlain (rmbr this long-forgotten actor?). It used to be my favorite show as a child, me & my grandma would watch it together (I equally liked "Perry Mason" but never read the book(s). some day).

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2015, 02:09:49 PM »

I saw the Shogun TV series and enjoyed it ("Fare thee well to the Barbary Merchants…"), and I have the book on my shelf but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

I finished China Mieville's Kraken. A hugely imaginative, and very well written, science fiction novel, expanding on the Cthulhu myth and Tennyson's 'Kraken' sonnet.

I'm now reading Art Spiegelman's graphic novel Maus.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 26, 2015, 02:43:14 AM »

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 26, 2015, 02:55:45 AM »

I also just finished, for the first time, Watchmen, by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. I haven't read much in the way of graphic novels, but this was superb. An in-depth take on the (alternative) reality of costumed superheroes, and I was impressed by how much narrative detail was packed into the pictures. The Incredibles owes a big debt to it.

If you enjoyed that, check out the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volumes (including "The Black Dossier").  It's set in the broader world of fiction - ie, Moore and artist Kevin O'Neil borrow/steal as many fictional characters as possible (from various genres and mediums), in some cases as main characters, in other cases to pad out the background - and the greatest superhero ever appears in the Century series (no spoilers here).

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2015, 07:47:03 AM »

Recently finished Judge Dredd: America.  Now I'm starting on the Case Files, beginning with no. 4.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 27, 2015, 08:49:01 AM »

If you enjoyed that, check out the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volumes (including "The Black Dossier").  It's set in the broader world of fiction - ie, Moore and artist Kevin O'Neil borrow/steal as many fictional characters as possible (from various genres and mediums), in some cases as main characters, in other cases to pad out the background - and the greatest superhero ever appears in the Century series (no spoilers here).

Thanks for the tip, Alan. I had my eye on From Hell too, and I'd be curious to know what AGD thinks of it, if he's read it, being a Ripper scholar. I can imagine, as Alan Moore takes a couple of liberties with his speculation (though apparently it is meticulously researched), that it wouldn't be to Andrew's taste, but, as Al sez, "strange things happen"! Smiley
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2015, 02:20:18 AM »

Maus is a powerful and moving book, and highly skilled artistically. Recommended for anyone looking to see how far the "comics" medium can be stretched, to see what comics can do that novels and movies can't.

I'm diving right into MetaMaus, and it's fascinating to hear Spiegelman discuss the artistic process and see rough drafts.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2015, 04:18:32 AM »

William S. Burroughs's Junky.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2015, 05:14:56 AM »

I enjoyed that one. Burroughs was such a good writer of conventional narratives that it's a shame he spent so much time and effort on stuff i consider unreadable like The Ticket That Exploded, when the avant garde became 'avant garde a clue', to borrow from George Harrison. Naked Lunch was good as well, but i think it's at the tipping point of what i can stand from him.

Have you read many Beat writers?
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2015, 06:59:39 AM »

I enjoyed that one. Burroughs was such a good writer of conventional narratives that it's a shame he spent so much time and effort on stuff i consider unreadable like The Ticket That Exploded, when the avant garde became 'avant garde a clue', to borrow from George Harrison. Naked Lunch was good as well, but i think it's at the tipping point of what i can stand from him.

Nope, nor have I read anything else by Burroughs. But I do enjoy this a whole lot at the moment.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2015, 09:49:37 AM »

Nope, nor have I read anything else by Burroughs. But I do enjoy this a whole lot at the moment.

I wholly recommend On the Road by Jack Kerouac, as the pinnacle of the Beat movement and writing style. It has an overbearing reputation, but it's a tremendous work. More than the stereotypes usually associated with the book (though it is also hugely fun), it is tender and melancholy at its heart, in a similar way to Junky. A lot of great Beat literature balances this extrovert/introvert aspect. Also maybe check out The Subterraneans and Tristessa by Kerouac. Burroughs actually features as a character in all 3, but most heavily in Tristessa.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2015, 10:04:50 AM »

I wholly recommend On the Road by Jack Kerouac, as the pinnacle of the Beat movement and writing style. It has an overbearing reputation, but it's a tremendous work. More than the stereotypes usually associated with the book (though it is also hugely fun), it is tender and melancholy at its heart, in a similar way to Junky. A lot of great Beat literature balances this extrovert/introvert aspect. Also maybe check out The Subterraneans and Tristessa by Kerouac. Burroughs actually features as a character in all 3, but most heavily in Tristessa.

Thanks for the description. What other good Beat writers are there?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2015, 03:38:24 AM »

Thanks for the tip, Alan. I had my eye on From Hell too, and I'd be curious to know what AGD thinks of it, if he's read it, being a Ripper scholar. I can imagine, as Alan Moore takes a couple of liberties with his speculation (though apparently it is meticulously researched), that it wouldn't be to Andrew's taste, but, as Al sez, "strange things happen"! Smiley

Can't help you, Sundance. I read very, very little fiction, and no Ripper fiction at all. The truth is fascinating enough...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: