-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:37:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317885 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 01, 2015, 09:00:40 PM »

I spent a little time today reading the "The What Are You Reading? Thread" on the Smiley Smile forum.  Before that, the last thing I read was the front of a Cheerios box.

Fck it.  I only looked at the pictures.  "Strawberries in my Cheerios," I thought.  "Good idea!"

And wouldn't you know it -- the picture was right!

As for what I read about Cheerios being "good for my heart" -- I thought, "how will I ever know?"  People can say anything.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2015, 03:18:12 AM »

I spent a little time today reading the "The What Are You Reading? Thread" on the Smiley Smile forum.  Before that, the last thing I read was the front of a Cheerios box.

Fck it.  I only looked at the pictures.  "Strawberries in my Cheerios," I thought.  "Good idea!"

And wouldn't you know it -- the picture was right!

As for what I read about Cheerios being "good for my heart" -- I thought, "how will I ever know?"  People can say anything.
LOL   Nothing like a Bean Bag post to brighten one's morning.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2015, 05:15:57 AM »

Nothing to read for now, but my old favorite used to be a comic series about "Duck Tales". I liked the stories that didn't make the final cut. Alongside, I was reading a Theory of Chaos. I literally ate it; there was this description about a water drop in the sink falling not inconsistently, but having its own pattern & 'schedule'. That was mind-boggling for my 13-year-old self.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2015, 03:17:09 AM »

Last two books that I have read were by David Yallop

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2015, 11:07:22 AM »

Hi all,

Today I am reading Love In Blolom by Sheila Roberts. 
halblaineisgood
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2015, 06:45:20 PM »

Got the Robert Christgau memoir from the library.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:49:26 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2015, 04:49:44 PM »

THE INVISIBLE BRIDGE  Rick Perlstein
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2015, 04:50:17 PM »

Got the Robert Christgau memoir from the library.

Any good?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2015, 08:54:17 PM »

Meh. 'Bout half way throughgonna just browse the rest for explicit sexual anecdotes and call it a day .
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2015, 07:59:33 AM »

This:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/raymond-chandler-life.html
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2015, 03:23:35 PM »

Some Bukowski stories. I don't much like Bukowski. Also a book about archaeological evidence as it relates to Judeo-Christian scriptures' accounts of history. Could some version of the exodus have happened (spoiler alert: no), and if so, when. That kind of stuff.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2015, 02:49:15 AM »

tr.: City Dwellers of the Sun. I grabbed it as a giveaway action held by the local library. A girl brought up by snowmen meets a gang of odd kids who must break the central clock in Moscow metro to prevent people of dying. There is plenty of sur, fantasy, adventure and violence. Its main target is children, but it has tough language, almost like "Master & Margarita". Some dialogs are straight philosophical. But it did won award for the Best Book'09   nomination "school literature".
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 02:50:19 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 06, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »

Hi all,

I am going to read a memior called Drunk Mom tomorrow.  Do any of you read romcne novels?  I am going to read a lot of romance over the summer.   
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2015, 02:30:03 PM »

Romance novels? You mean stuff like Fifty Shades of Grey?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2015, 02:44:50 PM »

Hi all,

I include Fifty Shades of Grey in the list of romance books.  I haven't read it and don't intend to.  The rest of you may read it.  Tomorrow I will read a romance book by Maya Banks.  On Sunday I won't read any book due to 5.10 being Mother's Day.   
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2015, 03:55:08 PM »

Hi all,

I include Fifty Shades of Grey in the list of romance books.  I haven't read it and don't intend to.  The rest of you may read it. 

No way. I'd rather listen to Kate Bush's 50 Words for Snow. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2015, 04:29:48 PM »

I guess sarcasm really don't come across online...even when it's about Fifty Shades of Grey. LOL

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2015, 02:04:45 PM »

I'm reading (and thoroughly enjoying) Ass's heroic transcription of Hamstring Hero et al.'s "wild one-word story".   

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2015, 03:07:21 PM »

"The Fourth Revolution: The Global Race to Reinvent the State," by John Micklethwait and Adrian Wooldridge (both of The Economist).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 27, 2015, 12:29:09 AM »

I'm reading (and thoroughly enjoying) Ass's heroic transcription of Hamstring Hero et al.'s "wild one-word story".   
I thought it was sheer poppycock myself. And btw, their names are Judd & Swedish Frog, if you don't recognize them. I have to tell you this so you know.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 27, 2015, 02:04:41 AM »

I thought it was sheer poppycock myself. And btw, their names are Judd & Swedish Frog, if you don't recognize them. I have to tell you this so you know.

Wasn't it Dudd? I do recognize them, but thanks anyway. Yes, it was poppycock----of the most superior kind.  Grin

I think it's good----and often hilarious. In fact I'm linking it to "my" MB, where we have our own (BB-related) multi-authored epic, salvaged from the Capitol Board when it all went pear-shaped over there.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2015, 12:23:24 AM »

The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling

Please delete my account
KDS
« Reply #172 on: May 28, 2015, 05:43:59 AM »

"Why We Suck" by Dr. Denis Leary. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2015, 11:02:05 PM »

Wasn't it Dudd?
He's Judd. I went straight to his earlier posts & look what I found (note the Last Edit - by whom?): http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26.msg348494.html#msg348494

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2015, 10:09:11 AM »

"The Fourth Revolution: The Global Race to Reinvent the State," by John Micklethwait and Adrian Wooldridge (both of The Economist).

I recommend this to anyone interested in politics--not the day-to-day bullshit, but political philosophy.--regardless of your particular persuasion. It's a bit more classically liberal than I tend to be (not surprising, being by people associated with The Economist), but it's well thought out and informative, as well as persuasive at times. What I'd call its thesis statement may be this:

"[R]eformers need to embark on a grander project. The key to reviving the democratic spirit lies in reviving the spirit of limited government. The great problem of the West is not just that it has overloaded the state with obligations it cannot meet; it has overburdened democracy with expectations that cannot be fulfilled. This book has repeatedly demonstrated the truth of Plato's two great criticisms of democracy: that voters would put short-term satisfaction above long-term prudence and that politicians would try to bribe their way to power--as they have done by promising entitlements that future generations will have to pay for. A narrower state, especially one that constrained itself by various self-denying ordinances, would be a more sustainable one."

Don't let that fool you into thinking this is a libertarian tome, either. That's not the case. But it is full of interesting history, direct criticisms and praise for governments and parties around the world throughout modern history, and common sense ideas.

Best of all, it is presented coolly and rationally. That is important to me, as I tend to believe someone's intelligence seems to be inversely proportional to how many exclamation points or all-caps words s/he uses. The louder, the dumber.

Up next: "Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe," by Anne Applebaum. Then back into biblical criticism with mythicist Robert M. Price.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: