-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317888 times)
All Golden 74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 11:58:29 AM »

I am focussing heavily on Ezra Pound for my essays
Good luck fella!  I did a paper on Ezry's 'Pisan Cantos' for a comparative religion class in '05.  Just about fried my brain!  Grin  Wonderful stuff, but dense(thick).
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 01:51:49 PM »

Isn't it just! Working rather heavily on 'In A Station Of The Metro', if you know that? Won't take you long to read.  Grin

Good thing about him (and other modernists) is that there's a wealth of their letters, articles, writings, etc to pick up the slack. And he's good at criticism too, so it's nice to sift through... well, relatively speaking....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 05:05:25 PM »

Time for a bump?

Been devouring Blake at the moment. Particularly The Marriage Of Heaven and Hell. And a ffew things I've got in an Romantic anthology. What have  you lot got on?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 10:50:15 PM »

Still just working my way thru Esquire.  I only really read it in the library.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 02:31:38 PM »

Just began my months-old, but yet-untouched (until last night) Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of War and Peace. I have loved all their Dostoevsky and Gogol translations, as well as their Anna Karenina, so I am excited for this version to be my first stab at this novel.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 12:28:56 AM »

Goethe on SMiLE?

"Dilettantes, when they have done their best, are wont to excuse themselves by saying the work is not yet finished. Of course, it can never be finished, because it was never begun properly. The master presents his work as finished after only a few strokes; polished or not, it is nevertheless complete. The cleverest dilettante gropes in uncertainty, and as the work grows, the original insecurity becomes ever more perceptible. At the very end, the initial failure is revealed, when it cannot be corrected, and so of course the work cannot be finished."

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 07:24:06 PM »

I just ordered a translated copy of The Iliad by Homer. I decided it's time to broaden my influences, so to speak.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 09:01:32 PM »

Just finished a novel by Martin Cruz Smith "Three Stations" It's the latest in the
Arkady Renko series, about a Russian detective. You may remember William Hurt
and Lee Marvin in the movie Gorky Park.

I am beginning Ray Davies (of The Kinks) autobiography called X RAY or something
like that. I Am about to read for the tenth time. The Stranger by Albert Camus.

I have been anticipating the final postumous novel from Michael Crichton. I also have
the lost story of Brian Wilsons masterpiece SMiLE by Domenic Priore on my nightstand
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »

I've been reading a lot of all the print outs I've had filed away forever...I've been printing BB research/articles/lyrics/etc. out since I was in high school, around 2002, kept printing out for something to read in class in college, and still do at my work...

and I know you're thinking it's a waste, but I was aloud over 500 pages a year at HS to print out and the same goes for College and work...so it's my paper to do what I want.

As I squeezed a whole SMile file full of SMiLE FAQ's, articles, the Smile Primer, interviews, posts by Durrie Parks, etc....I've finally divided it into 2 separate files, Smile 66-67 and BWPS
Somehow everything else, from Surfin' Safari to present day printouts, has been in 1 manilla file folder...but I finally purchased more hanging file folders and a tuperware to fill hanging file folders in....I've got my Smile files done and then the first file done which consist of discography of albums, singles, unreleased albums and a couple of reviews for all the albums that were two separate articles, from Lost and Found/Surfin' Safari to Hawthorne CA...it's a really large file but it's one of my most informal and favored files to look through.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »

I've been reading a lot of all the print outs I've had filed away forever...I've been printing BB research/articles/lyrics/etc. out since I was in high school, around 2002, kept printing out for something to read in class in college, and still do at my work...

and I know you're thinking it's a waste, but I was aloud over 500 pages a year at HS to print out and the same goes for College and work...so it's my paper to do what I want.

As I squeezed a whole SMile file full of SMiLE FAQ's, articles, the Smile Primer, interviews, posts by Durrie Parks, etc....I've finally divided it into 2 separate files, Smile 66-67 and BWPS
Somehow everything else, from Surfin' Safari to present day printouts, has been in 1 manilla file folder...but I finally purchased more hanging file folders and a tuperware to fill hanging file folders in....I've got my Smile files done and then the first file done which consist of discography of albums, singles, unreleased albums and a couple of reviews for all the albums that were two separate articles, from Lost and Found/Surfin' Safari to Hawthorne CA...it's a really large file but it's one of my most informal and favored files to look through.
I've also been reading the Ultimate Dallas reference book with information about EVERY episode and the reunions/tv-movies...it's really a great read if you're a DAllas fan

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 09:42:55 AM »

Somewhat off-topic, but I think there were a few people here that were writing some novels/books as of late. Any updates?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2011, 03:10:59 PM »

Somewhat off-topic, but I think there were a few people here that were writing some novels/books as of late. Any updates?
I had an idea about writing a fictional piece that's similar to the story of Almost Famous but instead of the 12 year old kid, it would be me traveling with the BB to Holland, just using the knowledge I have with research through many sources...but I never developed it.

I also wanted to write a book or something with just information that puts a lot of sources together about the Beach Boys catalog, released/unreleased. Basically, I wanna go for something like "A Hard Day's Write," anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd really like to start on it this summer...Some different things stopping me being one of the major things is copyrights towards unreleased items....can someone publicize lyrics or anything I want to write about bootlegs?  Basically, write the info about it (dates & such) then give the story behind it.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »

Just finished The Lost Symbll by Dan Brown. I bought it when it was released and shelved it because of poor reviews but it was stellar.

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »

Just finished The Lost Symbll by Dan Brown. I bought it when it was released and shelved it because of poor reviews but it was stellar.

Did the same with Michael Crichton's Next - got sh*t reviews, but it turned out to be a great yarn.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2011, 03:35:18 PM »

I had an idea about writing a fictional piece that's similar to the story of Almost Famous but instead of the 12 year old kid, it would be me traveling with the BB to Holland, just using the knowledge I have with research through many sources...but I never developed it.

Sounds like a good story! You should start it and see how far you can get!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2011, 04:28:35 PM »

I'm just not a very good writer, which is my project ended up being abandoned. It's alright, seeing as I don't lack other artistic pursuits to keep myself busy with, and every twenty year old fancies themselves as a writer...

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2011, 08:27:03 PM »

I occasionally flirt around with writing. I wrote a children's book in school about a bear who thought he was human. It was made into a "proper" hardback book. I've also written two "mini novels". One was about a murderer who joined a circus as a clown to hide his identity. It was called "The Phantom of The Circus". The other one was about two inventors. The husband was a well known and love owner of a bank. The husband had a secret though. In his private life he was an evil and cruel man who was jealous of his wife because her scientific inventions were quite successful, while his work was largely ignored. The husband decides on the perfect invention, a robot. His plans go horribly wrong though, and the robot kills his creator and builds a replica of itself. One replica quickly turns into hundreds of thousands. The President of the United States of America is assassinated, and the "leader" robot takes over. All forms of Government are overthrown by the robots, and soon human civilization as it is known is in jeopardy of being turned into a society of nothing but robots.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2011, 07:12:35 PM »

Checked out Bill Simmons' "The Book of Basketball." It's mildly entertaining--just like one of his (basketball-related) columns, but a lot longer. In other words, loaded with pop culture references, jokes, references to his friends, and of course, basketball. Hardly great literature, but an enjoyable reprieve from more serious reading.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Paulos
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2011, 01:27:58 AM »

Just finished reading The Day Of The Triffids by John Wyndham, an outstanding book in my opinion and clearly a massive influence on the zombie film genre. I really should read more classic sci-fi if it's anywhere near as good as this, any recommendations?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2011, 04:04:51 AM »

Oh God, I'd ask my Dad if I could - he's hugely into this stuff. Off the top of my head, you need as much Asimov as is humanly possible. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick, too. On an older note, The War Of The Worlds by H.G Wells is great. Although I made the mistake of picking up an old Penguin edition and it's so fragile I can't mistreat it as is my wont with books...

Now my degree is over for the year, I can get to reading the stuff I've been putting off for lack of time. In the past week I've got through In Cold Blood (freaked me out no end, for some reason. Such attention to detail), a book about folk ballads curated by Greil Marcus, Slaughterhouse 5, and am plowing diligently through To Kill a Mockingbird, which is wonderful.

Sadly, my lack of stuff to do has lead to me dusting off the novel I claimed I had abandoned upthread. Am going through it with a fine, fine toothcomb.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2011, 01:16:36 PM »

Reading - a biography of Wilfred Owen

Writing - OK, researching and drafting (for the last five/six years) a biography of William Beldham (Google him).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2011, 03:23:53 PM »

Currently reading The Hardware of The Soul by Daniel Amen, M.D.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2011, 05:42:32 PM »

Just finished "Physics of the Future"  by Michio Kaku, halfway through Manning Marable's Malcolm X bio.  Think I'm going for some fiction next...

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2011, 08:10:09 PM »

Just finished "Physics of the Future"  by Michio Kaku, halfway through Manning Marable's Malcolm X bio.  Think I'm going for some fiction next...

How was 'Physics of the Future'? I was thinking about reading it...

pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2011, 08:40:15 PM »

How was 'Physics of the Future'? I was thinking about reading it...

Brilliant and mind-bowing I couldn't recommend it more strongly.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: