gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680871 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:21:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What If The SS Box Disappoints You?  (Read 19107 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 12:12:40 PM »

I farted.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:47:04 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 02:44:19 PM »

AGD is absolutely correct - some disappointment and complaining is inevitable, especially when Smile is involved.  Out of all the great Beach Boys music that we love and celebrate, Smile is the one piece of work that has remained "ours" to some extent.  Having never taken any cohesive form, it was there for us to play with and endlessly speculate about. 

No matter how great the box set is, and how much we all revel in the fact that it's coming out at all, we're going to be losing some of that control that we had over it (imagined or not).  Of course, all the parts will still be there, and speculation will indeed never end, but as was the case with BWPS, just the inherent fact that it's an officially sanctioned product will undoubtedly cause some backlash.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »

Unless two of the four discs consist of Good Vibrations recording sessions, I can't imagine it being a dissapointment.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 09:47:33 PM »

I'd personally want a disc full of nothing but studio chatter and talk - I love that fly-on-the-wall stuff. Obviously that's not a universal thing so I'll settle for what's on there. The only disappointment if it could be called that would be one disc being basically a rehash of the GV box set and bonus track material from the 90's. No live stuff, either - Smile was a studio project.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 09:53:31 PM »

Unless two of the four discs consist of Good Vibrations recording sessions, I can't imagine it being a dissapointment.

*Shudder*

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 09:57:52 PM »

I'd personally want a disc full of nothing but studio chatter and talk - I love that fly-on-the-wall stuff.

I know this isn't within the realm of possibility, but I would love to see huge artists like the Beach Boys release ALL their extant studio tapes in a download-only format. It would eliminate challenges of inventory and overhead, and it would allow for niche marketing at the most granular level. I just can't understand why no one has tried this. I mean, if 30 hours of unabridged SMiLE sessions were available on iTunes for $10 per hour, I'd buy the lot over time to be sure. As would a good gaggle of other anoraks like me. I know the target demographic tends to be comprised of audiophiles who get all snobby about mp3s, but I still think nerds like us would shell out for this beyond-the-fringe stuff in any format. I know I would.

No live stuff, either - Smile was a studio project.

TOTALLY agree.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 10:06:10 PM »

The Beatles may have already set a precedent for the studio-chatter release: As bastardized and as over-edited as it was, that second "bonus" disc in the Let It Be Naked package was nothing but studio talk.

I'd definitely shell out for mp3's of 60's studio chatter too, if it were material not already heard on SOT and elsewhere.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2011, 10:57:25 PM »

Unlikely - read the original articles from 3/11 and 3/14 again.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rogerlancelot
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 02:08:57 AM »

I farted.

Best post ever!!!  Evil
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 04:56:28 AM »

I'm gonna be pissed to no end if they use digital keyboards, auto-tune, and put a bass harmonica on every track.  If we can avoid that, I'm cool.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 05:04:50 AM »

I'm gonna be pissed to no end if they use digital keyboards, auto-tune, and put a bass harmonica on every track.  If we can avoid that, I'm cool.

Then buy a survival kit now. Word has it that Mike Love remixed the whole thing. With the elements you mentioned. Also, John Stamos did all of the missing leads, on a secret location. That's why the Lovester didn't stall the release or start another court case.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 06:27:36 AM »

I'm gonna be pissed to no end if they use digital keyboards, auto-tune, and put a bass harmonica on every track.  If we can avoid that, I'm cool.

Then buy a survival kit now. Word has it that Mike Love remixed the whole thing. With the elements you mentioned. Also, John Stamos did all of the missing leads, on a secret location. That's why the Lovester didn't stall the release or start another court case.

I read that Kanye West, The Black Eyed Peas and Jay-Z will make guest appearances to fill up the instrumental sections. Anyone who can confirm this?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:50:37 AM by shelter » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2011, 06:40:09 AM »

I'm gonna be pissed to no end if they use digital keyboards, auto-tune, and put a bass harmonica on every track.  If we can avoid that, I'm cool.

I head that Kanye West, The Black Eyed Peas and Jay-Z will make guest appearances to fill up the instrumental sections. Anyone who can confirm this?

True dat. But you forgot an essential thing: Eminem will be on it too. He disrupts 'Wonderful' in his own, inimitable style, with a scathing reality rap, about how his Mom, being high as a kite on Valium and strong booze, forgot to feed him his Kellogg's. He himself says: 'my contributions are so good, they make BWPS stink, that's how good they are!'

I have every reason to believe him.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2011, 08:16:42 AM »

I'll restate this: if it sounds like I'm being cheap then it may be true, but my disappointment would be if I spent a few hundred on this set to get vinyl I don't really need and I find out the bulk of the material is material already in my collection.

I worry that the difference between the impressions of the general record-buying public and Smile fans, obsessives, and collectors might be blurred in the minds of those who would have signed off on a release like this. What I'm saying is I'd be willing to pay for "new" material, but if 90% of the tracks are ones we've (Smile obsessives) already heard, and the book and essay is the same info presented in a different way, and the photos aren't anything new...

I'm just saying with the price of gas being what it is and several major expenses coming my way soon, I'd almost rather wait a few days to hear some feedback before pre-ordering or buying this set the first hour it becomes available.

That's the practical side of me talking.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2011, 09:56:27 AM »

I'll restate this: if it sounds like I'm being cheap then it may be true, but my disappointment would be if I spent a few hundred on this set to get vinyl I don't really need and I find out the bulk of the material is material already in my collection.

I worry that the difference between the impressions of the general record-buying public and Smile fans, obsessives, and collectors might be blurred in the minds of those who would have signed off on a release like this. What I'm saying is I'd be willing to pay for "new" material, but if 90% of the tracks are ones we've (Smile obsessives) already heard, and the book and essay is the same info presented in a different way, and the photos aren't anything new...

I'm just saying with the price of gas being what it is and several major expenses coming my way soon, I'd almost rather wait a few days to hear some feedback before pre-ordering or buying this set the first hour it becomes available.

That's the practical side of me talking.

I hear where you are coming from, but you also have to remember, just because you've "heard" some of this material on bootlegs doesn't mean that its already been released and therefore it would make purchasing it redundant. I mean, if the 2-disc set is just like a bunch of stuff that was already officially released then I could see your point, but just because you've been listening to "He Gives Speeches" and "Look" for so long illegally, doesn't mean that its not "new", if you get the jist. Just my opinion.

And lastly, I mean, come on, its SMiLE, why wouldn't you want it?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2011, 10:08:18 AM »

For me the book that comes with the deluxe edition - despite the Dom essay - will be essential for the photos and art and liner notes  detailing the sessions and perhaps solving issues that have bedeviled us Smilophiles for so many years.

Then there's the new mixes/acetate mixes that will be essential new additions to the canon.

I fear there will be some but not much "new" material for those evil fans who have illicitly been listening to non Capitol releases of Beach Boys material.  So that would leave the hope that the material Smile fans have been listening to  for years will appear in better quality.  For some tracks that will be a no brainer - Child is Father to the Man instrumental track, for example.  But will the Sea of Tunes stuff really sound better on this release?  I have my doubts.  Hopefully the harsh treble boosted EQ used on Summer Love Songs and the Capitol Singles box will not be applied to Smile.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2011, 10:26:14 AM »

I definitely want the set and am anxiously awaiting the set but at the same time I need to be practical and think about the cost: If the set contains most of what I already know, I'll wait it out to hear the reviews and reports before waiting in line the first day for it, which I thought I'd originally be doing.

The possibility of new photos is also very, very exciting but I hope new ones are included alongside the ones, again, we have already seen.

I want to add I have no qualms or guilt whatsoever about considering "illicit" Smile stuff among the finest music I've ever heard, released or unreleased. And it's also important to say at the time I was hearing all of that the realistic chances of an official release of Smile from Capitol were slim to none. So it was a case of choosing between someone dangling half a carrot in front of you in the present or waiting possibly years, decades, or to infinity for the official release whose chances for release were slim to none. That was a no-brainer for me as a die-hard fan.  Smiley

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2011, 10:40:56 AM »

For me the book that comes with the deluxe edition - despite the Dom essay - will be essential for the photos and art and liner notes  detailing the sessions and perhaps solving issues that have bedeviled us Smilophiles for so many years.

So you've seen the book?  I haven't seen any mention of new photos and art and notes detailing the sessions being included, even tho that would be presumed by the three names for writers.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »

So you've seen the book?  I haven't seen any mention of new photos and art and notes detailing the sessions being included, even tho that would be presumed by the three names for writers.

I think it's a given there will be a detailed sessionography, and as Dom's essay is about 3000 words, there'll have to be something else to occupy the pages.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 01:03:58 PM »

But will the Sea of Tunes stuff really sound better on this release?  I have my doubts.

Now there's a good question. SOT 16 and 17, in addition to other SMiLE material that's out there in pristine quality, will be tough to beat sound quality wise. SOT is like the quality benchmark. If the 24 (or whatever bit) and/or the new technology with this release is even better, I'll be a little surprised. I expect it to at least match the quality of SOT - to surpass it will really be something. I'm not expecting a few things (i.e. demos, acetates) material to be of equal quality though.  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:25:18 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2011, 01:28:57 PM »

But will the Sea of Tunes stuff really sound better on this release?  I have my doubts. 

No there's a good question. SOT 16 and 17, in addition to other SMiLE material that's out there in pristine quality, will be tough to beat sound quality wise. If the 24 (or whatever bit) and/or the new technology with this release is better, I'll be a little surprised. I expect it to at least match the quality of SOT - to surpass it will really be something. I'm not expecting a few things (i.e. demos, acetates) if there are any to be of equal quality though. 

Well, at least the material will be mixed properly...which it isn't on any of the SOT discs. I look forward to hearing some of these sessions minus the various coughs, sighs, chit-chat, etc. and with well-balanced instrumentation and vocals.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2011, 01:33:51 PM »

So, if the sound quality of the released SS box IS actually better, will bootleggers have to retitle their releases "Surpassed Masters"? Cool
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2011, 02:57:19 PM »

Well, at least the material will be mixed properly...which it isn't on any of the SOT discs. I look forward to hearing some of these sessions minus the various coughs, sighs, chit-chat, etc. and with well-balanced instrumentation and vocals.

This goes to personal preference: I like the random chat and noises as part of the audio verite experience of hearing the sessions as they unfolded without editing that stuff out later. Again, it's all personal preference. I could listen to raw, unmixed session tapes for hours while others would find that tedious and boring.

Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2011, 05:22:28 PM »

I know this isn't within the realm of possibility, but I would love to see huge artists like the Beach Boys release ALL their extant studio tapes in a download-only format. It would eliminate challenges of inventory and overhead, and it would allow for niche marketing at the most granular level. I just can't understand why no one has tried this. I mean, if 30 hours of unabridged SMiLE sessions were available on iTunes for $10 per hour, I'd buy the lot over time to be sure. As would a good gaggle of other anoraks like me. I know the target demographic tends to be comprised of audiophiles who get all snobby about mp3s, but I still think nerds like us would shell out for this beyond-the-fringe stuff in any format. I know I would.

You know, I think this scenario IS within the realm of possibility, Catbirdman!

I think it's the logical conclusion (!) of the record industry's never ending re-issue campaigns. All they need is a big band to have the courage to "let it all hang out"  Smiley

Like you, I would be in heaven if they did this.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:32:56 PM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2011, 05:34:43 PM »

This goes to personal preference: I like the random chat and noises as part of the audio verite experience of hearing the sessions as they unfolded without editing that stuff out later. Again, it's all personal preference. I could listen to raw, unmixed session tapes for hours while others would find that tedious and boring.

I can feel that. But we've got some of the material which sounds so lousy. The thing i'm looking forward to the most, apart from wishful thinking, is hearing Holidays in crystal clear sound! That's why the box can't really disappoint me. So much of this material sounds like ass on the bootlegs.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx