gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680875 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 03:20:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What If The SS Box Disappoints You?  (Read 19111 times)
PhilCohen
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2011, 06:07:57 PM »

Honestly, I don't think Capitol gives a crap whether or not we have stuff to talk about here. We do think very highly of ourselves here, eh? Wink

Since both Mark and Alan visit here, I'm sure they will post something once they are given the green light to do so. I've waited 44 years, so another month or two is drop in the bucket.

This is just one more thing that proves that we are a society that wants and needs instant gratification.

44 years is not exactly "instant".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2011, 07:03:24 PM »

No, but what you are calling for is "instant".

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2011, 07:07:04 PM »

Are you guys thinking a summer release is not looking good, and we should actually be expecting something by end of the year

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2011, 12:21:47 AM »

Are you guys thinking a summer release is not looking good, and we should actually be expecting something by end of the year

Been saying for a long time, my best guess is on late summer/early fall and certainly before the 2012 Grammy cut-off date. To me, if only on logistical grounds, July 12th is somewhat unlikely.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2011, 01:59:06 AM »

Been saying for a long time, my best guess is on late summer/early fall and certainly before the 2012 Grammy cut-off date. To me, if only on logistical grounds, July 12th is somewhat unlikely.

To me, July 12 is a bit of an odd date, what with many folks going on vacation, or spending extra money on other things... the box won't be cheap. I'd guess that AGD's best guess simply makes more sense.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »

Hmm, well I'll let all hope go and let the chips fall where they may

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2011, 09:52:23 PM »

Meanwhile, if its been awhile, go back and relisten to the SOT smile, the boots, and BWPS.  Great stuff!
PhilCohen
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2011, 11:31:54 PM »

....postponed until August 9th. My prediction: one of a long series of postponements. I'm out of here. I'm putting my 2-CD "Smile" fan mix CD-R's back on the shelf, and not playing "Smile" or thinking about "Smile" again any time soon(if ever again). This is a lost cause.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:34:56 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2011, 02:22:17 AM »

Wow. Just because it sounds like it's coming, then there's a bit of a delay, you're going to quit listening to SMiLE, maybe for all time? That seems like a pretty extreme reaction to me. Like (I imagine) many people here, I go through phases of listening to SMiLE-related stuff intently, then pull back from it for lengthy periods. The music is incredible, but after a while the on-going unknowns about it and its unfinished nature start to bug me, and I stop listening. The recent chat about it has put it back on my listening radar again, but before that, I prolly hadn't played original SMiLE sessions for a couple of years or so, aside from occasional plays of the 2004 SMiLE.

I first heard about SMiLE in 1988, and got seriously interested in 1995. Having to wait another few months, even a year, is nothing compared to that time. And it must seem even less to the old-timers who've been waiting since 1966.

If it frustrates you, just put SMiLE on the back burner for a bit; no need to throw all your discs away and sign a pledge renouncing it for all time. If you love music, you'll come back to SMiLE and its riches eventually. I always do. And by then, the box will probably be out!

July, August, December; it's all good. And then we'll sell a million units in January... Wink

MattB
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:28:55 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2011, 02:24:27 AM »

Phil has a bit of a problem: having stated that it's not going to happen this year, he's in a basically indefensible position.  Grin

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2011, 04:39:29 AM »

....postponed until August 9th. My prediction: one of a long series of postponements. I'm out of here. I'm putting my 2-CD "Smile" fan mix CD-R's back on the shelf, and not playing "Smile" or thinking about "Smile" again any time soon(if ever again). This is a lost cause.

You fool. Throw your toys out the pram while you're at it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:51:59 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2011, 05:15:22 AM »

I get the impression from a lot of your posts that you care about this release deeply, hence these knee jerk reactions whenever we get some news that you deem as negative. I felt a similar way when Al retracted his initial statement about Smile. Since the Capitol press release however, echoed on Brian's site, I've felt pretty confident that this is going to happen.

If I were you I'd stop worrying. There's been no 'official' release date yet anyway - all we have is hearsay, and until we get an official press release confirming the release date I'd take all news with a pinch of salt, if for nothing else but your own sanity!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 06:46:21 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2011, 06:45:11 AM »

....postponed until August 9th.

Is 'postponed' the correct word though, given that no official date had/has been set anyway?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2011, 06:46:28 AM »

....postponed until August 9th.

Is 'postponed' the correct word though, given that no official date had/has been set anyway?

The release date has been "reimagined".

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2011, 06:52:13 AM »

Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
PhilCohen
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2011, 05:16:19 PM »

As you are aware, before Capitol's announcement in March, audiophile Gold CD mastering engineer(and website operator) Steve Hoffman responded to the "Smile" box rumors by saying that "Smile" would never be released. The latest statement from Mr.Hoffman(May 6,2011)(in response to one of his forum members who mentioned a possible August release, then added "Who knows?") was "I do. It's not being released in August"

The question I have, is why The Beach Boys and Capitol would announce a "Smile" box?  Is it only to play games with us? Why bother? This whole thing is getting tired. The fans have been through this again and again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2011, 05:27:51 PM »

Geez Phil, he said he knows the date and it isn't August 9th, not that isn't going to be released. AGD's September release is looking more and more likely. In the mean time, it's time for you to meditate. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
PhilCohen
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2011, 06:07:35 PM »

Geez Phil, he said he knows the date and it isn't August 9th, not that isn't going to be released. AGD's September release is looking more and more likely. In the mean time, it's time for you to meditate. Wink

I'm merely relaying Mr.Hoffman's statements to you. I'm only the messenger. Don't shoot the messenger. Mr.Hoffman isn't claiming that he knows what the release date is, but he knows that the box isn't being released in August.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2011, 06:17:13 PM »

He said "I do" when answering the question. Re-read it. Plus, he also said not August. Not never.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
PhilCohen
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2011, 06:36:23 PM »

He said "I do" when answering the question. Re-read it. Plus, he also said not August. Not never.

...but Mr.Hoffman originally(before Capitol's announcement) said that "Smile" would never be released. It will be interesting to see if Mr.Hoffman's original prediction is ultimately correct.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2011, 06:40:06 PM »

i'm enjoying how "postponed" release dates, none of which have come from capitol, is starting to put people in the "here we go again" mindset.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2011, 07:03:27 PM »

I'm not sweatin' it. A delay of months is nothing compared to waiting the previous 44 years.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »

I'm not sweatin' it. A delay of months is nothing compared to waiting the previous 44 years.

Sure. you say that now.  What will you be saying if months turns to years?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2011, 07:57:05 PM »

Then it will be nothing new to Beach Boys fans, surely!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2011, 12:33:05 AM »

Sure. you say that now.  What will you be saying if months turns to years?

Won't. Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx